View Full Version : Teutonic Champion question

Pages : [1] 2

Vytis
18-04-2004, 21:09
Why isn't he on a horsie?

Elewyn
18-04-2004, 21:26
why templars are not?

Because the devs want more infantry units than cavalry ones?

I must agree that all "knight" units should be mounted, but.... let's wait until addon... or maybe if the game is postponed, some time will last for this? I don't think so :(

But I agree that some explanation of devs' statement won't be bad. Would you answer please? I personally am ready to take any answer becase it's only one important detail, one of those and I accept it, however my desire is sitting on a horse ;)

Teutonic_Knight
18-04-2004, 23:03
Maybe they could have a Teutonic Champion for infantry and have a Teutonic Knight for cavalry? Make the Knight playable by only the Teutonic Order, but the infantry available to anybody in the region unless it's going to battle against the Teutonic Order.

Bora
19-04-2004, 01:08
in mtw you could choose before a battle if thoe units shoould be on the horse or on theyre feets

Drake Maethor
19-04-2004, 04:30
I did the same question, we are discussing it at:
http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=988

No developers answers so far...
:(

Heretic
19-04-2004, 18:58
I don't understand how such "armoured mountain" can walk,especially run.That is why he needs a horse:cool:

Angryminer
19-04-2004, 19:18
You don't know how quick you can act in a good plate armor.
A seamstress wouldn't have a problem to do her job with plategloves and dancing in platemail is just a bit noisy, but nothing more.
Okay, of course you need some strenght to wear such an armor, but I don't know a type of soldier where that isn't needed...
Think of longbowmen for example.

And my strongest argument: BSS's testers have played the game. And they decided that it's more fun to have infantry-teutonic champions. We can't say anything against that ;) .

Angryminer

Emhyr var Emreis
19-04-2004, 19:24
I think they only followed other previous RTS in case of special units and that's the reason why templars or teutons are footmen.

Be sure they need some strength to move in such armour, but they have to be very and very strong to be able to run to face an enemy and then fight with him more than 10 minutes. If I would fight aggainst army of teutonic champions as they are in KoH I'll only pull and pull my forces untill they got tired and then few peasants smash out of land.

Without horses so armoured knights are total waste of money, manpower and iron. IMO

Havoc
19-04-2004, 22:24
in AOEII Tutonic knights are on foot

Vytis
19-04-2004, 23:01
I think TO foot-knight is a fantasy. [unless we are talking about defending castles] it would be totaly unpractical to have a heavily armored footman for TO. Emhyr stated some good reasons but I'd like to add some:
1. Bad strategy
a) TO raids/crusades into Samogitia/Lithuania took days. Weeks at most. This would be impossible with knights marching on foot.
2. Bad tactics
a)Long march into enemy territory on foot means exhausted troops at the end of the day. That's a pretty big risk in a heavily wooded area with ambushes possible at any moment.
b) When engaging knights, samogitian/lithuanian tactic was to knock them down from their horses. After that they were easy prey. If we assume that knights didn't even bother to be on their horses in the first place, then they must've been suicidal. Otherwise why would you make it easier for your enemy to kill you?

On the other hand, TO had infantry if needed. But those were not knights. These were knechts - lightly armored knight-wannabes who served their masters.

So IMO, TO knight should ride horses. But if TO infantry is needed then they could be knechts.

about TO horses and crossbows (http://www.deremilitari.org/RESOURCES/ARTICLES/ekdahl.htm)

Angryminer
19-04-2004, 23:20
If we'd have TO-cavalry, what would make them different from those feudal knights?

So just keep them as infantry to serve the gameplay!
Fun over accuracy, remember? ;)

Angryminer

timurlenk
20-04-2004, 14:12
Originally posted by Angryminer
If we'd have TO-cavalry, what would make them different from those feudal knights?

So just keep them as infantry to serve the gameplay!
Fun over accuracy, remember? ;)

Angryminer

but whats the difference between
- templars
- highlander
- vikings
- normans
- teutonic champions
???

these differences also could be "transfered" to new mounted units...

of course gameplay and balance are the most important - bss will know what to do :cheers:

Elewyn
20-04-2004, 14:39
Originally posted by timurlenk
but whats the difference between
- templars
- highlander
- vikings
- normans
- teutonic champions
[B]-men-at-armsedited by Elewyn

these differences also could be "transfered" to new mounted units...

of course gameplay and balance are the most important - bss will know what to do :cheers: thet's simply the question I ask here (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&postid=19810#post19810)
IMO transfering templars and teutons to mounted units will make them even more special and effective

Emhyr var Emreis
22-04-2004, 22:02
devs, any comment? maybe tomorrow?

that's a call (I'm not sure if thet's the best expression... invitation? challenge?)

this thread and IMO arguments strong enough asks for some change. I hope it's not tooooo late

Sobek
23-04-2004, 11:51
I think Teutonic Knights should by mounted. If you look in the history, you will see that the Teutonic knights always fight on the back of a horse.

Bora
23-04-2004, 17:06
i still think that this unit will also be available on a horse back also the templer knight

Drake Maethor
24-04-2004, 02:18
Interesting.
Devs remain silent in all post asking for Templar Cavalry...!
Maybe they are discussing it? There is still hope for it?
:)
or no! :mad:
:confused:

Elewyn
24-04-2004, 11:27
I'm not sure if that makes sense to create such a poll. If I will find it useless I'll delete it, if not, it may live and (I hope) influence something

a poll to this topic (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1049)

Bora
24-04-2004, 18:29
Originally posted by Elewyn
I'm not sure if that makes sense to create such a poll. If I will find it useless I'll delete it, if not, it may live and (I hope) influence something

a poll to this topic (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1049)

the poll is o.k. :)

Kuno of Gersenau
24-04-2004, 19:07
Yes, the poll is a good idea! But I think I'm not a voter you would like to have, because I don't really care...:rolleyes: