PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer in KoH

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Frujin
22-04-2004, 23:32
Hello again!

First of all, I'd love you to apologize for the few days delay of this post. Besides the main game mode - "Play in Europe", which is dedicated to those strategic monsters of you, we have another few single player and some multiplayer modes. They are:

Quick Battle - This mode can be played in both Single and Multiplayer. It is in fact a training mode. If you want to master Knights of Honor battle mechanics (they are not so complex, but they DO require some player skill) you can play this. It is an battle field map opened and two armies ready to clash are spawn. You take control of the one and the other is led by the AI or another human player. However, there is little difference between single and multiplayer modes here. In single player two ballanced, but randomly generated armies are spawn for you and the AI. In multiplayer each player has a budget and can buy manually picked troops. The winner is those, who make the enemy army fleeing the battlefield. There are up to 6 players (max 3 vs. 3) allowed to play that mode.

Castle Assault - This mode is totally the same as previous with a "small" difference. One of the armies is defending a Castle as the other is trying to defend it. Again, there are up to 6 players (max 3 vs. 3) allowed to play that mode.

Historical Battle - In this mode, the armies are not random or manually picked. They are placed on a position by us, and you have to take the control of one of the sides. This mode is available only in multiplayer games. We decided to remove this mode from single player options, because we would hate to see AI playing way too better than William the Conqueror. :) No, seriously - AI is a computer. Human is a Human. Even the most stupid human is better "warleader" than the AI. At least, will behave more "human - like". It doesn't mean that or AI won't kick most of you here, not at all. It just means that we, at BSS, are gamers as well. :cheers: This mode can be played head-to-head only.

Tower Mode - This is another multiplayer-only game mode. At start each player can buy army as much as the budged allows. Then the game starts and it is very similar to the open field mode. But there are few special rules, which makes it really special. There are specific locations on the map called "flag towers". They actually look as a Stone Towers with few structures arround - really like nice small village. Initially all towers has a white flag over them, which means they do not belong to anyone (we call such white flagged towers - independant) . The players can use their army to "capture" towers. Independant towers are captured easily - you just need to put your troops on top and keep them for a short time there. The towers already belonging to enemy are conquered a bit harder - you must first defeat any hostile troops in the vicinity of the tower. Then again - place troops on top. Of course, if the enemy player has some units on top of the tower (either as a process of capturing, or just some archers deployed there to shoot better) you need to get rid of them. Which means - assault tower and kill them, or make them running away.

The towers are giving gold regularly to their owners. With that gold, the players can hire more troops to join his army. Sometimes it happens, when the game is over, that no squads left from the original selection the player made in the beginning. All are bought during the battle.

Each player has Knight (as in all other modes) leading his army. But in this mode, the Knight can do one more thing - besides fighting as all other units. He can makea Camp. Which means, that the Knnight squad opens a Knight-Tent (you can see it in some screenshots already). Once he did - he is bound to at and can't leave that location. If enemy attacks him while he is camping - he will be captured and the player will be eliminated from the battle. But there is something else, while he is camping, the player can hire the aforementioned additional troops which comes to the tent. (THAT was very brief explanation :))

Also, only in this mode (besides the Grand Campaign), the squads are getting more experienced during the battle. The more succesful they are - the higher level. Possible levels are like in Europe mode - rookie, regular, elite and veteran.

Another unique feature for this mode is Squad resting. There is a special order the players can issue, which makes the squad to rise a tent at the location the player decides and to rest there. While camping even the most skilled soldiers (like veteran Templars) are VERY vulnerable. But they do refill their squad to it's maximum size, their morale get's much higher to it's default level AND, ranged units, refill their amunitions.

This mode is for 6 (max 3 vs. 3) players and no AI is allowed.

----

Ok, folks! It was really briefly - but the time is spare lately. If you have questions - ask away :)

If you think it was too long - well - it actually was way too short.

timurlenk
22-04-2004, 23:43
is it possible to play e.g. 3:2
or "just" with the same number of players on each side?

Frujin
22-04-2004, 23:44
Yes, it is possible. What is not possible is (5 vs 1) or (4 vs 2). With other words - no more than 6 players and no more than 3 players on one side.

timurlenk
22-04-2004, 23:53
you should not work at this time :cheers:

ad historical battles
is there a number of how many of them ara available? 10, 15, 700 :D

is there a list of which battles it will be? if yes, can you publish it?

ad castle mode
is there a difference between defenders and attackers sum of gold to recruit men? (cause i think defender has a defense bonus)

ad quick battle, catle mode, capture the flag / tower mode
do you have to choose a kingdom before playing or just a "colour"? are you able to chose every type of soldier, or is this restricted?

geno604
22-04-2004, 23:59
Sounds like Tower mode, will be the main played in multi battles..or so i see it.

-How big will the maps be for each mode, can the size be preditermined?

-Will different "terrain" types be able to be selected in multiplayer modes? ie: snowy, hills, river crossing etc.

-In castle defense mode, will the defender "choose" where he places the different types of units (ie: place archers on walls, pikeman in the gates) or will they just be spawned around the castle?

Frujin
23-04-2004, 00:17
ad historical battles
is there a number of how many of them ara available? 10, 15, 700

Less than 10. But we will try to make more maps available for you to download. The final list is not set up yet, so we can't publish it.

ad castle mode
is there a difference between defenders and attackers sum of gold to recruit men? (cause i think defender has a defense bonus)

Yes, Defenders has whole Castle :) so they have fewer squads.

ad quick battle, catle mode, capture the flag / tower mode
do you have to choose a kingdom before playing or just a "colour"? are you able to chose every type of soldier, or is this restricted?

You can choose and mix as you find is suitable.

Sounds like Tower mode, will be the main played in multi battles..or so i see it.

I see it that way too ;)

-How big will the maps be for each mode, can the size be preditermined?

-Will different "terrain" types be able to be selected in multiplayer modes? ie: snowy, hills, river crossing etc.

-In castle defense mode, will the defender "choose" where he places the different types of units (ie: place archers on walls, pikeman in the gates) or will they just be spawned around the castle?

The size can't be changed. It is automatically choosen. Also, terrain can't be choosen. The map can be. Which means that the random elements in the maps is a minimal :) It's mostly "hand-made" stuff in there.

The defeder(s) troops are spawned inside the castle and after the begging, he/they can send them to the positions the player decides.

Finellach
23-04-2004, 00:28
Sounds great. :go:

Frujin
23-04-2004, 08:54
The tower number is between 6 and 12. It is not optional - all maps are pre-made. Additional maps will be available for download later.

3 vs. 1 is possible. Also 1 vs 1 on big maps is also possible. The battles are not finally decided, but we read that thread here as well :). Once we have them, we will share that with you.

Duke of Shropshire
23-04-2004, 11:14
Hello dear Devs Lords.
I 'll do a question that may be already done...but I haven't found it elsewhere.

There will be a sort of map editor or we could just wait for you to make them avaiable for download?

O love to edit maps...I think is an artistic side of a game and a way of long life for the game. Placing Tower or village, rivers, mountains and forests is cool.
Could we hope for something like that in KoH?

Thanx and go this way...It seems that this game could be one of the greater game I ever played.

God bless BSS devs! :angel:

The Duke.

Bubino
23-04-2004, 11:42
very good!! :)

tower mode will be very funny (i hope so! :) )

i'm happy also for the system of troops choosing (it's the system i've hoped to have!) and for the (correct and reasonable) idea that castle defenders have less money to use... they have already a castle!! :D

i'm less interested in historical battle, because in this case i must lead a specific army, but it's just my opinion.
about this, a couple of question: first, historical battles are only open field battles or also historical siege?
and, number two, can we have also historical battles with special feature...
an example: two armies: one very bigger than the other, something like 3 to 1, but the two armies have different objectives:
bigger army has to destroy little army in a specific time (for example 5 minutes)
smaller atmy has to resist with any squad for the 5 minutes! (and, obviously, kill more enemies is possible)
what you say about?

by the way, wonderfull work!!! :cheers: :D

Kuno of Gersenau
23-04-2004, 13:29
hehe WOW! :cheers:

I'm not a big multiplayer, but maybe KoH will change it...:D :cheers:

I really wish the game was here on my computer...:king:

Angryminer
23-04-2004, 13:40
I once asked for a MP-mode which is similar to the tower mode, but in fact a reversed-tower-mode.

It goes like this:
Every player gets reinforcements. But the goal is to get 'victory points'. To get victory points the player needs to conquer specific locations (ig: these towers). But the more towers he captures the fewer reinforcements he gets.
The player with the most victory points after a set amount of tim (30 minutes?) wins the game.

In this game-mode it is especially important to raise your soldier's experience levels, because you'll get very few reinforcements after a while. Also, the game isn't yet decided if one player owns nearly the whole map, because the defeated player will get more reinforcements and can recapture towers soon.
Maybe you should spend a thought on this ;) .

Angryminer

hawk_knight
23-04-2004, 15:25
there making single player and multiplayer better and better and better :hello: :go: :hello: :hello: :go:

very good devs :go:

Konrad II
24-04-2004, 07:08
What kind of historical battles will thier be at first? Will it just mostly be Hastings and the battles that took place during the 100s years war, or will it be many diffrent battles in many diffrent locations?

Frank Fay
24-04-2004, 09:36
The Historical Battles, except Hastings will be announced seperately. But different locations and different years. Expect a good diversity.:p

timurlenk
24-04-2004, 10:08
long time ago elewyn made a thread bout historic battles. he summarized the suggestions to a list of 30 battles. look here! (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?threadid=819&perpage=25&highlight=crecy&pagenumber=1) i hope, devs will use this proposals :cheers:

geno604
24-04-2004, 20:17
Frank, do you know the maximum # of units that will be able to fight at one time?

i remember something about 8-9 slots being filled.. but is there a certain # of units to a squad, or is it different for each squad?

ex: 5hobilars=10credits 30peasants=10credits

Kuno of Gersenau
24-04-2004, 20:27
Originally posted by Frank Fay
The Historical Battles, except Hastings will be announced seperately. But different locations and different years. Expect a good diversity.:p hehe...you will fill some fridays till it's autumn with this...or what can I read here between the lines.;)

HexHammer
25-04-2004, 03:07
Such shame the AI got axed!

I know many who can't get online, who only have a laptop to play on, and wanna have a match against the computer, these people are now limited in their use of KoH.

Myself for that matter, I sometimes enjoy playing with my FPS pals, who are noobs at RTS, against som computers, that doesn't mysteriously, sync out of a game when we are winning, nor swear, curses, and talk purile language.

Guess it budget talk here :(

shagrath_the_dead
28-04-2004, 13:24
cool cool cool
i like the tower game
gives an extra goal to the game,i like goals in games

a Q from me

frank,frujin,is it possible for us,gamers,fans of the game,to create our own maps/mods etc etc for this game,like you see a lot with unreal tournament and such ??
so we can create tower maps with 50 towers etc etc :P ??