PDA

View Full Version : Screenshot Clarification....

Carcassone
04-11-2003, 20:31
I was curious to know whether or not the two structures just south and east of the wood stronghold were lookout towers. What strategic advantage do these structures give Lords? LOS? Economic? Political?

Please see screenshot...

Two Lookout Towers? (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/knightsofhonor/screens.html?page=37)

Odin
04-11-2003, 20:41
Originally posted by Carcassone
I was curious to know whether or not the two structures just south and east of the wood stronghold were lookout towers. What strategic advantage do these structures give Lords? LOS? Economic? Political?

Please see screenshot...

Two Lookout Towers? (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/knightsofhonor/screens.html?page=37)

LOS seems to be logical to me. Having a watchtower of gaurd post for a strategic area makes sense. Not all combat during the time period were massive armies meeting on fields, often your realms always had some kind of bandit/outlaw problem, be it looting, pillaging what have you.

So guard towers were just a smaller castle, yet served a lot of local purposes, particularly the transfer of information to the main force/ castle which supports your LOS assertion. It can also be something as simple as the beginings of a new town, in game terms.

Moorkh
04-11-2003, 20:48
These look like fortified farms or the like. Small castles, essentially, residences of the lower aristocracy or better off free peasantry. Might signify either the availability of knights for recruitment or a defense against raids for the province.

Pikeman
05-11-2003, 18:10
Maybe they're simply rural monastries, which were often fortified in the middle ages.

Pioneer
05-11-2003, 23:07
Churches of the time were also fortified, well not so much fortified as constructed to ensure that incendiaries could not burn it, the priest could shelter and store valuables safely. Usually the belfry tower was so constructed that the priest could enter the tower and others not follow. There are a few medieval churches in North Dublin semi fortified in this way. Strong walls and gates protected St Patrick’s Cathedral Dublin - one of the medieval city’s two cathedrals with battlements being outside the walls of the city. The church of all Saints in Boltongate, Cumbria, England has a stone vaulted roof and a gallery so that armed men could repel raiders. It was not only Viking of the early medieval era but medieval armies eager for loot and something to burn who attacked churches. I hope that the game can give a sense of this.

It is more likely that the structures are some sort of outlying defensive works of the town shown in the screenshot.

Jerome
06-11-2003, 10:02
hmm,...interesting...

after close inspection i can honestly say that i havent got a clue :D

looks to me like some sort of fortified house or maybe a small castle. Perhaps its the beginning of a new town. It could also be some sort of outpost with some kinda keep to defend it...

looks nice though...;)