PDA

View Full Version : unit Emotions, video clips

contactkoh
01-05-2004, 04:49
1. I just saw a video clip for the game "Lord of Ring battle for the middle earth." They seemed to have this unique "Emotion" element in which Units are not passive but actually react when they see enemy, and also anger, fear, etc.. How do KOH units react in terms of EMOTIONS?? (if u r not sure what im talking about, watch the developer interview of LOR at gamespot)

2. Also, when are we gonna see some Game footages/ Trailers??

Bora
01-05-2004, 11:19
Originally posted by contactkoh
1. I just saw a video clip for the game "Lord of Ring battle for the middle earth." They seemed to have this unique "Emotion" element in which Units are not passive but actually react when they see enemy, and also anger, fear, etc.. How do KOH units react in terms of EMOTIONS?? (if u r not sure what im talking about, watch the developer interview of LOR at gamespot)

2. Also, when are we gonna see some Game footages/ Trailers??

if you mean to show emotions by FACE it would be difficult in KoH but i also think would be nice if they shout and rise arms and show emotion that way. cause i also have sene that Battle for middel earth trailer and i liked to see that the units are showing emotions, like they hode when they are in dangoure or keep distance and rise arms when they got victoroiuse or or are screaming at a nearby enemy.

Angryminer
01-05-2004, 13:03
Morale keeps track of emotions. If a squad of archers is slaughtered by heavy cavalry, the remaining archers will flee in panic.
And another nice feature: Feudal Knights sometimes charge enemies without a command by you. They just seem to feel like super-heros ;) .

A little question:
Does the appearing of destinct soldier-types influence the squad's morale?
For example: My archers are standing on a hill and suddenly cavalry charges in. Does the morale drop immediately (because my archers know that they are going to die now) or will it only drop when they are already being slaughtered?

Angryminer

Khan Krum
01-05-2004, 13:10
I think they'll lose their morale when they decrease in numbers because we may have a case when they are settled in the woods and it doesn't make much sense if they start trembling when an enemy cavalry approaches.
I wonder something else though. Supposedly we have spearmen in front of the archers will they take the most of the damage from the arrows in this case?? I suppose they will, but am not certain on this one.
Anyway, it's always good to have a couple of these dudes around the archery line :) Especially when you have Longbowmen or keep reserve cavalry around to clash the enemy. Still we'll have plenty of time to discuss strategy :)

PS: on behalf of the archers I think crossbowmen at the least should damage the units directly in front of them because of the different way arrows are shot from a bow and a crossbow.

Angryminer
01-05-2004, 13:27
You already said that archer's arrows fly an arch.
But you are totally right: Archers can hit allied soldiers too. Archers just shoot 'in the direction' of the intended enemy, but at the moment of shooting it is yet unknown what the arrow will hit. It can hit an enemy, the ground or an allied soldier. This depends on the kind of 'object' in the arrow's way ;) .

Angryminer

Khan Krum
01-05-2004, 13:49
Yeah, I recall that moment in Braveheart when Longshanks ordered direct shot into the melee :) Victory at all means ;)
Thanx, mate!

contactkoh
01-05-2004, 19:46
hmm.. that's it?
so Emotion is only displayed as a moral bar? No screaming, waiving fists at enemies, No standing back in fear?(just retreat&charging without order?)

man, after watching the trailer for LOR, i think putting some emotion element can make this game far better..

anyways.
when are we gona see some Video clips of the game??

Angryminer
01-05-2004, 19:53
Oh, I forgot, of course your troops will scream while charging of fleeing.
And to the rest: The soldiers are too small to see them waving their fists ;) . So yes, BSS did a really good job with this.

Angryminer

Khan Krum
01-05-2004, 20:21
Thanx for the info Angryminer!

geno604
01-05-2004, 22:11
Im sure to the extent that BattleforMiddleEarth, we will not see because that is in a 3d engine, 2d id assume would be alot tougher to have men waving fists.. though every detail counts :)

ps- I know demo is released "when ready", but as the point of videos.. Will there be any gameplay videos released, or trailers of any sorts?? I think it would really amp up the anxiety of future fans. dont you?

Bora
02-05-2004, 01:04
Originally posted by Angryminer
Morale keeps track of emotions. If a squad of archers is slaughtered by heavy cavalry, the remaining archers will flee in panic.
And another nice feature: Feudal Knights sometimes charge enemies without a command by you. They just seem to feel like super-heros ;) .

A little question:
Does the appearing of destinct soldier-types influence the squad's morale?
For example: My archers are standing on a hill and suddenly cavalry charges in. Does the morale drop immediately (because my archers know that they are going to die now) or will it only drop when they are already being slaughtered?

Angryminer

maybe you have to see that trailer o know what contactkoh and i are talking about. its a bit more then just a few automaiticle events like retreat or automatic attak. but not zhat mucgh that itcouldnt work also for a 2d engine.

retreating was also a featue in mtw. annd there also was a unit which wa able to atatk without giveing a commando, but i would never say, the units in mtw showd emotions.

its not that necessary, but it would let the battles be more alive.

the knightly sword
02-05-2004, 14:49
about the morale bar i think it would be good if the soldiers act like this =ween they are small in numbers (enemy army is more the morale drops)or if the enemy units have good armors the morale drops .that would be realstic