PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries?

Khan Krum
01-05-2004, 21:27
I wonder are we going to be able to recruit mercenaries from other provinces (i.e. English army recruiting Irish mercenary archers - not the best example, but still; or Mongolean Cavalry/Steppe Horsemen joining forces with people they have invaded). IMO these could be useful when you are in a state of war against an enemy of higher rank due to impossibility to train enough units at the moment of attack. Mercs could be expensive and with less morale than the rest of the army you lead.

PS: This might be an idea I got from Lords of the Realms (I'm not sure though), so can't blame me for originality, but still it's what happened in real life.

Henrik
01-05-2004, 23:40
Mercenaries will appear at your court and offer their service.

Khan Krum
02-05-2004, 00:53
Thanx!
Do you know anything about their morale?

Bora
02-05-2004, 00:59
Originally posted by Khan Krum
Thanx!
Do you know anything about their morale?

no

Lancer
25-07-2004, 13:28
As well as mercenaries, will we see Lances? Not the weapon, but groups of mixed soldiers lead by knights, that offered their services to paying lords? They were normally comprised of archers, men-at-arms and knights who became out of employment when a war/battle had finished.
This is also where the term 'Freelance' came from.

timurlenk
27-07-2004, 12:37
As well as mercenaries, will we see Lances? Not the weapon, but groups of mixed soldiers lead by knights, that offered their services to paying lords? They were normally comprised of archers, men-at-arms and knights who became out of employment when a war/battle had finished.
This is also where the term 'Freelance' came from.

i cant see the difference. maybe lances is the more mediaeval expression for mercenaries?

roostercogburn
28-07-2004, 06:10
i dont believe u will have a chance to recrute a company that has 2 different units in it

Sir Turylon
28-07-2004, 09:07
i cant see the difference. maybe lances is the more mediaeval expression for mercenaries?
Freelancers were knights that had no king. (think Lancalot) They were not bound to a fealty oath. Mercenaries were trained soldiers that sold their services. (those Irish guys in Braveheart) In many cases, the mercs would have been men at arms from lands not controled by a singular empire/kingdom. It sounds like KoH has it right. :go:

Lances... sounds a bit too MW-ish. :cool:

@first post.
PS: This might be an idea I got from Lords of the Realms (I'm not sure though), so can't blame me for originality, but still it's what happened in real life.
Why... yes. in LotR2, mercs would pop up in different counties (my favorite are the Irish Pikemen). The only problem was one group of mercs would not fight with another group (which isn't very accurate).