PDA

View Full Version : battle formation

Bubino
03-05-2004, 11:13
battle formation:

i've seen in UNITS SHOWCASE that peasants cannot perform formations; right.
this means all the other units CAN perform formations.

i've also read that halberdiers, when IN GOOD FORMATION, are very effective against infantry.

from these informations, and from screenshots, i've deduced that every unit (in except with peasant) can perform various types of formation, probably:

a) a "long-column" formation, probably useful for movement.

b) a large formation, very effective for archers, jannissaries...

c) a compact formation, like a square, typical defensive formation

d) any unit (like cavalry) can has special formation.

is my idea right???

HexHammer
03-05-2004, 12:31
I have seen the triangle formation, also called spearhead formation.
I know it was used as a formation breaker, in later modern ages, it was also effectivly used spreading fire across the battlefield without poseing too broad and clumpsy formation.

I dunno how this formation, is used in KoH tho.

Angryminer
03-05-2004, 14:22
It's all right except
d) any unit (like cavalry) can has special formation.
Every soldier can perform every formation.

Angryminer

Elewyn
03-05-2004, 14:26
Every soldier can perform every formation.
..except peasants, the rest is right, of course.

Bubino
03-05-2004, 17:52
in my opinion spearhead formation is a tipical cavalry formation.

anyway: column, large, square, spearhead. These will be probably the formations available in KoH.

I don't know other types...

Angryminer
03-05-2004, 17:57
Perhaps you should take a look at this (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1054) thread.
For your convenience I'll quote the most important part for you:12. You can 'draw' formations. If you want a squad to move to a position, using a special formation you click the squad and click at the target location ( while you hold the left mousebutton the intended formation is shown by 'ghost soldiers' ).
To alter the formation you can move the mouse left or right (while holding the left mousebutton) to change the direction of the formation. By moving the mouse up or down you can change the density of intended formation. To change the basic formations (block, arrow, etc.) you can use your mousewheel.
By letting the left mousebutton go you command the squad to take the formation and move to the target destination.So the player has nearly unlimited freedom in his choice of formations. In comparison to AoK: unbelievable ;) .

Angryminer

Bubino
03-05-2004, 18:19
good... :D

OSDSET
03-05-2004, 19:57
Mwhahahaha, I can finally test my GRAND formation !!!

We all clime op onto Eachothers shoulders to form a great pyrimid and as the norsemen and knights charge our way we predtend to cower and cry, and then STAB EM IN THA BACK!!!

Mwhahahaha, But i don't think this will be possible due to 2d graphics and the realism of the game. :(

You may notice the randomness of this but in time you will learn to know me for it.

P.S @ Angryminer Three words, cool

Finellach
03-05-2004, 21:50
Originally posted by OSDSET
Mwhahahaha, I can finally test my GRAND formation !!!

We all clime op onto Eachothers shoulders to form a great pyrimid and as the norsemen and knights charge our way we predtend to cower and cry, and then STAB EM IN THA BACK!!!

What?! You planning on filming Playstation 2 commercial?! This is a game not a commercial simulation... :p :p :p ;)