PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Unit exchange

Pages : [1] 2

Bora
03-05-2004, 11:42
Hi!

i got the idea that is should be possible that allied nations could trade units with each other. they could trade it for gold and/or other units.
example: HRE/germany is allied with england and can ask england for the fallowing trade, for example: i give you one unit teutonic champions for two units walisan longbowman. waht do you think about this idea?

Angryminer
03-05-2004, 14:20
I already suggested that once and we all came to the conclusion that "Hey you, you have to leave your home and fight/die for france because the king said that" sounds too strange.

It would be much better if merchenaries would hold those 'exotic' units.

Angryminer

Henrik
03-05-2004, 14:39
Originally posted by Angryminer
I already suggested that once and we all came to the conclusion that "Hey you, you have to leave your home and fight/die for france because the king said that" sounds too strange.

Angryminer

This could work, but then i think that the units which you have borrowed from an ally should have a lower morale - simulate the concern you talk about.

Bora
03-05-2004, 15:16
Originally posted by Angryminer

Angryminer

seems taht is missed that one, sorry. but its just an idea. could be a possibilty to get units that you dont get, at the moment.
@ henrik: ist an exchange what i mean. so the moral should be the same like the troops are native yours. so i think its enough handicap to make good tradement with the other king for the troops ;)

Henrik
03-05-2004, 20:06
I can't really agree on that it should be considered a handicap to have a trade agremnent with another kingdom :eek:

I still think it's fair to let the player suffer a penalty in term of morale if he decides to make use of troops from another allied kingdom, becuse this will force the player to go on a conquest in order to get these special units ( longbow units etc. )

Finellach
03-05-2004, 21:47
I don't think that would be good...to trade units with other kingdoms. Well this is how I see it: I think we all know that we will be able to hire mercenaries who will want to offer us their services. Now what I think will be good idea is to make these merceneries come from different countries so that you will be able to hire mercenaries from Ireland and England and get some Longbowman's in Spain for example or hire some mercenaries from France and get Templars in Croatia( :D)....this is the only way I think the trade between countries for units may occur.
What ya think? :p

Angryminer
03-05-2004, 22:43
Totally my opinion @ Finellach.
See above.

Angryminer

Elewyn
04-05-2004, 08:41
I must agree with Finellach and Angryminer.

One more argument why not: medieval Europe was not NATO!

Mercenaries? YES, of course!
bout trading units? Who wil sell his best unit which nobody other can have?

Imagine. YOu are the only country with tanks (Hitler's Third Reich) in Europe in the beggining of WW2. You won over Poland and during time of invasion to Scandinavia (Norway) France asks you for your tanks (or if not France, USSR is enough). What will be your answer?

Even if it is allied country, I personally won't sell no more than1/20 of my tanks/templars,boyars/cataphracts. If yes so only to a state led by my son or a state which is my weaker ally for ages.

However if this option will be included I think it's better to have it without any more morale penalties. Prize for unique soldier must be very high and that's thr only penalty (whole this idea is something like "state-controlled mercenary trade")

Jarlabanke
04-05-2004, 10:28
I think I remember a discussion about lending units but I can't remember if we ever came to any sort of conclusion.

Sir Nikephorion
04-05-2004, 11:17
I think the best way of "lending" Units is only when two countries are allies and one is in war with a third country, example:
Spain is allied with England and in war against France. Spanish king goes to the English one: "Hey Henry, please send some longbowman to Ile-de France, i would need them there". and of course as a good ally, King Henry will do so.

There has been already a discussion about it and I guess itīs possible to act that way, and for my opinion it should be the only chance of lending some units, according to all the points already discussed.

HexHammer
04-05-2004, 14:35
I think you should be allowed to donate both units, small buildings, and resources. Imagine your ally has been unlucky and beaten back, he needs a big hand to make it back in the game, so he can make a difference again, I would gladly spare some of my stuff, to prevent facing a 2v3.

I first encounterd a unit trade feature in "Total Annihalation" 1997, and never seen again.

If you still refuse the donation of units, I must suggest another way to do it, it's borrowing units, let your ally command your troops for a period of time, this has been taken place in history time and time again.

Elewyn
04-05-2004, 16:27
you can send him some money supply and then he would be able to hire mercenaries

HexHammer
04-05-2004, 16:58
That makes me wonder, if you could make the cool thing like the Hanse trade stations did, have nada army, but just hire mercenaries each time the enemy would wage war.

But the thing is, if your down and low, you often have no army, else you wouldn't be beaten back, plain logic ..no? Besides mercenaries would always be insanely expensive, and that's also what I expect here in KoH.

Henrik
04-05-2004, 19:49
Originally posted by HexHammer
But the thing is, if your down and low, you often have no army, else you wouldn't be beaten back, plain logic ..no? Besides mercenaries would always be insanely expensive, and that's also what I expect here in KoH.

Good point HexHammer :go:

I think this nice little qoute proves the point why it's a good idea to have a lending/rent option for troops - besides this could also give you a nice little extra income....

HexHammer
04-05-2004, 23:44
Uhhh!! I can almost hear the gold ring in my coffers, the sweet music from the renting of my merc. I hope we can settle as just tradenations, and/or merc nations :viking:, instead of the usual boring kingdom conquor nation *sigh* :o

Henrik
05-05-2004, 00:23
Originally posted by HexHammer
Uhhh!! I can almost hear the gold ring in my coffers, the sweet music from the renting of my merc. I hope we can settle as just tradenations, and/or merc nations :viking:, instead of the usual boring kingdom conquor nation *sigh* :o

Don't forget the game's objective ;)

HexHammer
05-05-2004, 06:46
Yup, but that could my allies do, and I support them with my ritches. Remember WWII, USA supported England with supply, in the early stages of the war, though they activly went into the war in the end.

Angryminer
05-05-2004, 12:01
The important matter is that it (to my knowledge) never happened that a soldiers where under control of foreign officers. Allied troops always fought side-by-side, but never under the same command.
Concrete example:
USA's soldiers were under control of a USA-officer, not of some frenchman ;) . In medieval this occured only with merchenaries.

Correct my if I'm wrong...

Angryminer

HexHammer
05-05-2004, 13:24
Uhmm WWII Erwin Rommel "The Desert Fox" first started out, under Italian command?

Finellach
05-05-2004, 13:46
It depends what would you classify as command. He definately led his "countrymen" in battle and was their commander, but there must be one above all who will coordinate this so if an ally sends you some units you will comand him where will he go and where will he fight, but you won't direct these units directly by yourself.