PDA

View Full Version : (NEW) "similar" units question!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Drake Maethor
14-05-2004, 08:15
Many people is asking...
What is the difference between heavy crossbowmen and crossbowmen, between men at arms and heavy swordmen, between this and that...

Maybe the answer is quite simple!:
Has anyone considered upgrades?
Like in AOK!

Just that in KOH this upgraded units may appear in evolved towns... with the appropiate buildings... And not according to age and technology.
Do you get the idea?

So, DEVS, I beg you a boon. Can you answer if there are some upgrades issues involved with this units that many people find very similar?
(myself not included, "more is better" ;) ).
Many thanks!

Shand
17-05-2004, 05:40
I suspect it has something to do with their diets.

I assume when they say "Heavy" it means they're slightly more overweight than regular types.

maybe it means heavies eat more meat than regulars. or they have a very high carb diet.

or maybe it could just be that they have Heavier Armour.

What do you think??

Drake Maethor
17-05-2004, 06:11
Hey! How I didn't think about them???
How could I've forgotten them???
The Heavy Crossbowmen are wearing heavy armour!!! Of course!!!! That's the answer!!!
That's why they are heavier!!! (I first though the heavy was because thewere headbangers. Medieval fans of Manowar).

You sure must have a superior kind of mind!
THANKS FOR SOLVING THE RIDDLE, ALLMIGHTY EDIPUS!!!

What do you think??
Why don't you reread my first post and find out?
I'm sure it will be easy for a superior mind as yours!
:cheers:
By the way... do you understand the meaning of UPGRADES?
Do you realize when someone asks if this unit is an upgraded version of that? Or just a new one?

Drake Maethor
17-05-2004, 06:22
Hey superior mind! :blob:
I got another one for you,
What do you think about archers and bowmen???

PLEASE ILLUMINATE US, AND SAVE US FROM THE SPHYNX!!!

Redback
17-05-2004, 11:41
Originally posted by Drake Maethor
Many people is asking...
What is the difference between heavy crossbowmen and crossbowmen, between men at arms and heavy swordmen, between this and that...

Maybe the answer is quite simple!:
Has anyone considered upgrades?
Like in AOK!

Just that in KOH this upgraded units may appear in evolved towns... with the appropiate buildings... And not according to age and technology.
Do you get the idea?

So, DEVS, I beg you a boon. Can you answer if there are some upgrades issues involved with this units that many people find very similar?
(myself not included, "more is better" ;) ).
Many thanks!

Good Theory,
If there is one thing I don't like about RTS games is that when you upgrade your units, the old Units disappear and you can't build them anymore.
Variety is the key.

I definately agree the more units the better.
:D :cheers:

PS;I think Shand was trying to be funny,us Aussies have a strange sense of humor sometimes

Elewyn
17-05-2004, 13:17
If there is one thing I don't like about RTS games is that when you upgrade your units, the old Units disappear and you can't build them anymore.
Yea, I really hated it in AoK. I really liked crossbowmen there and hated arbalaests, so I postponed upgrading them as long it was possible(as long as enemies hadn't better guys than I :))

I'm not aggainst upgrading at all, but if yes, units recruited before upgrade should stay at the same level untill they are retrained or re-armoured. And also there should be possibility to recruit units which are without that upgrade like in Heroes III.

But without ayny devs' statement discussion about new units, their appeareance and relations to other units etc, is almost senseless.

We can like or dislike names of units but when we don't know anything more than their name, we can't do anything, just suggest (if they are the same only more armoured but the same) to change entire unit to some other unit with little different skills.

Shand
18-05-2004, 00:20
Hey! How I didn't think about them???
How could I've forgotten them???
The Heavy Crossbowmen are wearing heavy armour!!! Of course!!!! That's the answer!!!
That's why they are heavier!!! (I first though the heavy was because thewere headbangers. Medieval fans of Manowar).

You sure must have a superior kind of mind!
THANKS FOR SOLVING THE RIDDLE, ALLMIGHTY EDIPUS!!!

Why don't you reread my first post and find out?
I'm sure it will be easy for a superior mind as yours!
By the way... do you understand the meaning of UPGRADES?
Do you realize when someone asks if this unit is an upgraded version of that? Or just a new one?

Take a chill pill mate - i was jokin around.

Shand
18-05-2004, 00:22
Originally posted by Redback

PS;I think Shand was trying to be funny,us Aussies have a strange sense of humor sometimes

good to see someone recognises a joke when they see one:cheers:

Drake Maethor
18-05-2004, 10:32
Originally posted by Shand
Take a chill pill mate - i was jokin around.

I could see that, amigo! ;)
but, can't I make a little fun of you?
You make fun of me... I make fun of you! :)

Btw, hello from the other side of the southern world! :cheers:
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is freezing his arse while all these guys and girls are enjoying a warm Spring up there!

Redback
18-05-2004, 23:41

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is freezing his arse while all these guys and girls are enjoying a warm Spring up there!

Yeah its getting pretty chilly Down Under,but at least we don't have much snow to worry about. :cool: :D :cheers:

Shand
19-05-2004, 01:37
No worries mate -

and hello - I agree it is a little cold down here now - but I was really startin to get sick of the heat so i dont mind so much

But back to the topic - i do agree that the way most RTS's do the upgrade thing is annoying Rise of Nations was terrible for this reason

U should have the choice of recruiting both light and heavies and each one has unique qualities that would make them have their own distinct strategies

Redback
27-05-2004, 12:31
Hey Shand,
Where abouts do you hangout in Sydney?.
I'm going through there soon on the way to Canberra,
work related so it's free,roughly about 3000km round trip though.:cheers:

Sir Turylon
27-05-2004, 17:32
well.. in Rise of Nations, it would be VERY funny to see a bunch of phalanx units trying to take out a modern tank.... :D

take that you big metal horse!!!
/me stabs the tank with a spear.

Shand
28-05-2004, 00:36

Shand
28-05-2004, 00:37
Originally posted by Redback
Hey Shand,
Where abouts do you hangout in Sydney?.
I'm going through there soon on the way to Canberra,
work related so it's free,roughly about 3000km round trip though.:cheers:

I work in the City - but i live way out west, got job with a company drilling for oil - its tough out here - living and a workin on the land :D

Where u heading to in sydney

Cork2
28-05-2004, 00:40
I don't see the point if having Spearmen and Desert Spearmen. Could they just change uniform when they get to a desert to snow instead of having two of the same units only differen't name?

Drake Maethor
28-05-2004, 01:00
Then you are just complaining about the name!
:p

Redback
28-05-2004, 02:44
Originally posted by Shand
I work in the City - but i live way out west, got job with a company drilling for oil - its tough out here - living and a workin on the land :D

Where u heading to in sydney

Just passing through, a group of us are going to Canberra,
part of the job,where the Boss goes I have to go as well.:D :cheers:

ps If you want to chinwag have a look in the Royal inn

Utopia_Banished
30-05-2004, 09:28
i thought the answer was pretty self-explanatory. good to see some more aussies posting

The Council
03-06-2004, 22:50

I hope you're not stating that the weather is nice in Belguim in the spring/summer.... :(.

The weather here has been.......cold - warmer - warm Rain - Rain- Colder - Cold Rain - Warm weather and some more Rain... . Just got to love the diversity , now dont you.......Ive been fried while wearing a pull over, soaked in freezing rain while only wearing a t-shirt and i should be getting used to this by now but........./me is sick off it lolz.

I want to move......:p

Say how's Buenos Aires?