PDA

View Full Version : total number of units in Knights of honor

Pages : [1] 2

G_R
06-11-2003, 22:42
My question is - will there be a visual change when units gain a level?

And what does gaining a level change-only health , damage or
something else ?

And i'm sorry but isn't 25 different units too little for a game with such great future ???

Shand
07-11-2003, 07:02
Originally posted by G_R

And i'm sorry but isn't 25 different units too little for a game with such great future ??? [/B]

My thoughts exactly. When you look at games like MTw that have easily 3 times this number of units, with unique stats etc it seems a bit small for a game trying to encompass so much of history and such a large part of the world. seems like theyre going to just try to give the game just a basic impression of europe at this time in history. never mind the minor details. :rolleyes:

G_R
07-11-2003, 07:24
Well i hope that more units will be added at the final course-i mean i dont know if you have played Tzar but there are a lot of different units in that game and i do mean a lot. And considering that most of blackseastudiois members are connected to Tzar i believe that they are going to think about it (otherwise i'm going to throw myself form a bridge) :):) !

Frujin
07-11-2003, 10:12
The final number of units will be told and shown when we get closer to the release. But in the meantime we will make showcases for units which will make it into the game one by one. We, at Black Sea Studios, are putting a lot of attention on units design, because we do not to miss some important unit or to implement units which are "basicly-same-but-differnet-looking".

G_R
12-01-2004, 17:11
Could you make a list where are shown which units belong to which nation ! It would be nice if we could see what force do different nations have .

Maybe you can add this to the next site update -think about it BSS !

Angryminer
12-01-2004, 17:44
Let me give you a comment:
25 Units are enough for you to base your tactics on their skills. It wouldn't make sense to add more units, because the player would treat two types of units as basically the same type. It's like having Longbowmen and normal Bowmen in the same army.
In my opinion the unit-number should only be increased when somebody says "But there are no mounted archers in the game" (please replace 'mounted archers' with your favorite and not-yet-implemented unit-type).

Ontopic:
The first and most important thing which is going to change is the unit's morale (I'm sure / I hope).

Angryminer

Elewyn
12-01-2004, 17:51
Yes, but there already was said that the list is not definite, so maybe some more (I guess no more than 3-5 units) will be revealed.
Mounted archers, they are, but maybe, for Hungary, there shold be special light cavalry-archer, or Cuman light cavalry(also archers). They fere famous.

Jorghan
12-01-2004, 18:34
But that's just basicly the same thing as the ordinary mounted archer, even if they were famous. I don't think adding specific troops like that add much to the game. Build horse archers there yourself, and YOU go make them famous. :D

G_R
12-01-2004, 19:21
Hey hey hey what is this!
What do you want 1 type of horseman 1 type of archer and 1 type of spearman???

This is a strategy game - every single units only adds to a more complicated gameplay ! You have to admit that some nations had better horseman than others , or archers or footmen.

Angryminer
12-01-2004, 19:26
*redirects the mounted-archers-discussion to this (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=409) thread*

Angryminer

Jorghan
12-01-2004, 22:06
I don't say I mind more units, I just don't think it's that important. What I would rather like to see is that in regions where a certain unit was considered better, it would have some higher stats when created, instead of being considered a completely different unit. You could go on segmenting it until each region only has special units (Bavarian light cavalry, bavarian heavy cavalry, bavarial swordmen, bavarian pikemen, etc etc). Sure, perhaps it would be nice if some regions who were famous for certain units could produce these, but it doesn't have to be in the form of completely new units, instead they could be one level higher, or whatever.

G_R
13-01-2004, 14:35
Numbers sell games -50 is a lot better than 25 ! No matter the difference - its always good to see units of the same class but different look !

Angryminer
13-01-2004, 15:01
G_R:
I'm personally NOT of your opinion...
It's important how good a game is, not how many artists the dev-team had.

Angryminer

G_R
13-01-2004, 16:14
You have a point but you mean to tell me that Civilization III would be better if it had 50 units instead of 150 (a random number). Variaty is a very important thing- otherwise people get bored more quickly! A great game would look nice with lets say 30 units - that same game would be even better with 60.
I'm not saying that about KoH - it would probably turn out to be one of my favourite games but as you can see - i also have a point .

Angryminer
13-01-2004, 16:30
Variety is good for games. Very right.
But let me explain my position through a example:
KoH has... let's say 3 units. A swordsman, a horseman and an archer. Would it be more fun if you had two swordsmen, two horsemen and two archers, which do exactly the same but have different artwork?
I think it'd be more fun if there were additional mounted archers, pikemen, crossbowmen and such things. And THAT is already included in the 25 units.

Angryminer

G_R
13-01-2004, 18:26
When something is not broken don't try to fix it!
The old system is perfect if you ask me - a different look plus more or less damage , healt, morale etc. equals more fun !
I get what you're trying to say but i'm not talking only about different animation !

Angryminer
13-01-2004, 18:33
Either you mean a noticeable change in unit-values, which you can already find in archers/longbowmen or swordsmen/teuronic champions, etc. or you mean unnoticable changes, which are basically what I described above.

Angryminer

EricTheRed
13-01-2004, 23:27
Isn't their a feature in this game that aloows you to upgrade your swordsmen?

Irish
14-01-2004, 00:43
Well, I would like to see both unit animations and statistics being different. The more the better. I would like, for example, to see different looking archers per region. Spanish archers looking different from French archers, with the French having better statistics. England could produce long bowmen who would have the better stats because of their equipment and training. However, I would like to see that the Germanic States have Tutonic Swordsman, but those would only be elite units, I would also like that they could create regular swordsman at a cheaper cost so you could decide in that region to have less elite or more average units.

If I had my druthers, I would like to see Tutonic knights, Two-handed swordsman, long swordsmen, axemen, mace men, etc, be able to be produced in the Germanic region and all have different stats and animations than the equivalent units produced in the french, British, Spanish, Italian region, etc. The Tutonic knight only produced in the German region of course, but just because you have a Tutonic Swordsman in Germany, doesn't mean you wouldn't want to produce long swordsmen in Germany as well.

Jarlabanke
14-01-2004, 11:26
Yes, one type of footsoldier with short distant weapon isn't really enough, there is a large difference between twohandedswords, longswords, maces and so on.