PDA

View Full Version : Rivers and navy

4zzY
15-05-2004, 20:36
Sorry if you've already discussed it somewhere but i wondered
if there would be some navigable rivers on the continent.
I think it is not such a pain in the *** to put lets say the Danube,
Rein, Mainš, not s**** if Dniepr is included in the world map either.
I mean it is going to be helpful to have them, so that the trading
whatsoever is not limited only to the saes.
Not every bigger river of course, only those which could have some
real impact on the game (like the Danube ie it runs through almost whole Europe)
I think you got my point
would be happy to hear any response

Dobber
15-05-2004, 20:57
From what I understand the map is going to be authentic in design. Will appear as Europe appeared in the medieval era. They are including the mountains, I am sure they will include the rivers.

4zzY
15-05-2004, 21:12
well as far as i've seen on screenshots the rivers are only
a kind of cosmetic feature
they are there but are only small blue lines on the world map
my point was whether i could use the Danube lets say
if i play Byzantine to trade with the Holly Roman Empire and stuff

it's clear that they will be there when it comes to battles

Henrik
15-05-2004, 23:58
Originally posted by 4zzY
well as far as i've seen on screenshots the rivers are only
a kind of cosmetic feature
they are there but are only small blue lines on the world map
my point was whether i could use the Danube lets say
if i play Byzantine to trade with the Holly Roman Empire and stuff

it's clear that they will be there when it comes to battles

The trading level won't be so "deep" that you can say to you merchant: "sail up the Danube to city X and trade" - the merchant pretty much figure this out by them selves - the reason for this is that the devs have tried to avoid as much micromanagement as possible - remember you're the king...eeeerrrrmmm. the queen :D and small decisions like that is not for you to care about !

IaMSky
16-05-2004, 12:32
as 4zzY said, adding rivers is a great idea. making it easy for nations to control the rivers, will also mean they have a safe passage through other countries/nations.

Redback
16-05-2004, 12:52
Originally posted by IaMSky
as 4zzY said, adding rivers is a great idea. making it easy for nations to control the rivers, will also mean they have a safe passage through other countries/nations.

G'day
Safe Passage can be obtained through Diplomatic actions.
I believe the major effect of Rivers is in the close view ,where you can attempt to force a crossing ,against a defending army.:) :cheers:

Angryminer
16-05-2004, 12:59
as 4zzY said, adding rivers is a great idea. making it easy for nations to control the rivers, will also mean they have a safe passage through other countries/nations.Why is a river a safe passage through another nation?
However, you will be rewarded if you battle your enemy while he is crossing a river.

Angryminer

Bora
16-05-2004, 14:52
by the way, there are some pics of rivercrossing in the screesnhot gallery :)

Henrik
16-05-2004, 17:15
Originally posted by IaMSky

IMO it will be impossible to control a river stretching hundreds of miles - it simply can't be done !

4zzY
29-05-2004, 01:00
sorry for unburying this old topic but i just saw
a very interesting thing indeed
http://www.knights-of-honor.net//gfx/screenshots/scr_koh_0139.jpg
you see here next to Cairo the Nile
which is reasonably big of course
big enough for ships i would say
and since we didnt get any feedback on this issue
i will ask again
are the big rivers on the world map going to be navigable
both in means of transportation and trade

Elewyn
29-05-2004, 04:27
yes, I agree with you, 4zzy :go:

they should be, the major ones like Danube after Vienna f.e., Rhine and also Nile. I think that on their banks there should be nice possibility to build some smaller ports of lesser importance, but still with some possibility of long-distance-trade (in seaports you can import some goods, in those it should be possible too, but in lower degree)

Frank Fay
29-05-2004, 09:00
Sorry to disappoint you, but rivers are not passable by ships.

Gorgoroth
29-05-2004, 11:24
Originally posted by Frank Fay

I thought so..:angel:

Henrik
29-05-2004, 11:39
Originally posted by Frank Fay

Maybe in a sequel - right :)

Sir Turylon
29-05-2004, 21:57
if you made rivers navigatable, you would have to totally re-work the graphics engine. Since the gfx are not accurate to scale... it would be horribly complex to make the nile river big enough to fit the port graphic in. (300 mile wide river?)

Henrik
29-05-2004, 22:52
Originally posted by Sir Turylon
if you made rivers navigatable, you would have to totally re-work the graphics engine. Since the gfx are not accurate to scale... it would be horribly complex to make the nile river big enough to fit the port graphic in. (300 mile wide river?)

I see the problem Sir Turylon and i sorta agree - but if i was the one who should implement this idea i would just cut a few corners and place a city by the river - and put a few of those birds which sorta hoover above the harbours on the interactive map to illustrate that the city had a harbour - however i don't think this would be the optimum solution, but if i had to chose between re-writing the map's graphic then it would be my choice.

Sir Turylon
30-05-2004, 04:07
ah, nice suggestion. Although, it might make more sense to implement what was discussed earlier. Being able to set up trade routes without having a port. I do not know if any of you has played Civilization: Call to Power, but there is a very interesting trade system in it. Basically, you trade a rare resource that is in the city's production area and then establish a trade route with a caravan. That trade route then shows up on the world map and you can pillage(pirate) it with a military unit or sea unit. Perhaps something similair can be implemented in KoH to have this "trade route via river." idea in a later add-on.

Henrik
30-05-2004, 11:32
I think something like probably will find its way into a sequel ! - simply because it's a great idea.

These thing can be discussed much better when we actually have a chance to play KoH, because then we can see whether it will suit the game or not.

Frank Fay
30-05-2004, 13:23
Yes, that is what I would suggest :)