PDA

View Full Version : Founding cities and more questions...

Arjenvs
07-11-2003, 00:12
First I have too say that I am very very looking forward too this game!!!! For what I have read on this forum and seen on the screenshots it has to be a really magnificant game!!!

Questions...: (I think I searched the forum well enough too know that there are not yet answers on these qeustions...excuse me if there are...)

Will it be possible to found new cities...?(perhaps not like in Civ endlesly....but maybe some....just that your kingdom can also expand while you are not conquering....)

I have read a lot about the possibillities of not too much micromanagement....but what about when you indeed like micromanagement....are there enough features to also manage youīre kingdom on a local level...like in the cities...what things are editable for the king himself....? How much influence can you have on for example where too build the main buildings and also build the farms.... (I know that is already been talked about on the forum and the king is not the person to be busy with that kind of things)...but is it possible too have some influence on it?

Will you play as king or as a dynasty kingīs? every 40 years a new king....with itīs own good and bad things?

Is there also a possibillity to have Lords rule parts of your kingdom without your influence like some kind of vassal...when for example your kingdom is too big too handle....and you have to split your lands to rule realisticly, but still get like half the tax income or something like that....?

Hope too get some answers on these questions....

Jerome
07-11-2003, 09:42
interesting questions; i'll try to give my insights on them...

i hope that being able to found a city (if possible) doesnt mean that there are gonna be cities all over the place... there shouldn't be too much cities in my opinion.

as for your last question; there will be knights who serve you and command your armies i believe. It would be logical to think that other cities/realms/provinces that are far away from the kings influence (as your empire will be BIG of course..), are controlled by these knights in the kings name.
There's always gonna be the question of how loyal these knights will be to the king though...;)

about for your questions about micromanagement and the dynastys; i have no idea :D

Frank Fay
07-11-2003, 15:09
You wont be able to found a city. We call the cities, towns which is more Medieval like. In KoH towns & castles are one multiple object. So each Realm has one castle = one town. The name of the realm = town. These towns you can upgrade with additional structures or upgrade to the next level.

Founding cities would shift the focus towards an exploring game, like the CIV- oder COL-series. We clearly want to focus on ruling and conquering an empire.

BLOODUK
07-11-2003, 15:40
Sounds good to me!

Elewyn
07-11-2003, 22:14
Originally posted by Arjenvs

Will you play as king or as a dynasty kingīs? every 40 years a new king....with itīs own good and bad things?

what a perfect question!
maybe the ability to establish a new town=castle=realm would be bit better but in the other hand there's lot of other possibilities how to improve your economy and defence.

Hooba
09-11-2003, 19:51
Can you build a wall around your entire empire? With towers all over the wall?

Greetz
Hooba

Greeny
10-11-2003, 08:26
The Great wall of Greeny.... :D

Hooba
10-11-2003, 20:53
Cause a wall around your empire would be great to help you defend your kingdom.

Greetz
Hooba

Elewyn
10-11-2003, 22:24
And it will be also great for your economy...a wall around whole kingdom..and with every new realm you conquere, you will build another one and then anoter.... good idea, but more utopic than 1984... and in practical way impossible,isnt?When the enemy brake up and conquere one of your realms, you have to build new one on a new border atc... there's not enough stone in all Europe to realize it...
But possibility of it is good, it you want to exhaust all your stone for it,why not :bday:

Greeny
11-11-2003, 01:36
there's not enough stone in all Europe to realize it...

Romans made hadrians wall, they also made an enormous wooden palisade around there germanic provinces...(forget it's name though)

Elewyn
11-11-2003, 08:27
Originally posted by Greeny
Romans made hadrians wall, they also made an enormous wooden palisade around there germanic provinces...(forget it's name though)

Ok, they did. But still it was just one of his borders (even if it was through a half of Europe...). So, the Hadrian's wall, isn't it too short to compare it with a wall around the whole kingdom ? what if you have not straight boundary...
But there's some true in your words i think. Everything is possible if you really want it...

So i must build strong siege equipment to destroy that wall :cheers:

Jerome
11-11-2003, 09:36
a great wall to protect your realm might be nice for defence, but will be very expensive. it might be wiser to focus on a strong economy and creating a great army... ;)

besides; walls dont stop an enemy; they only slow them down :D

Gordook
14-11-2003, 07:00
true the romans created several great works, but unlike medieval europe, the roman army also acted as the roman corps of engineer. when there was no fighting, the roman army built and maintained roads, towers, aquaducts, and the rest of roman infrastructure. the roman empire was a different time period and a different style of government. they were the first to start a pension fund for military personnel. who here knew that one eh?

now china built their wall in their medieval period, but it took the myng dynasty and the dynasty prior (excuse the spelling and the fact I cannot recall the name of the dynasty that started the wall). Notice, this wasn't a factor of two kings, but two dynasties, and the wall eventually tapped the treasuries of china. course the chinese did build hundreds of miles of wall just from compacted earth, so who needs stone.

Arjenvs
23-11-2003, 23:48
This topic turned out to become off-topic... So you can maybe better move it...

Or maybe answer the following question...since there was not yet an answer....And I do not think you guys do not know this yet....

Originally posted by Arjenvs

Pioneer
24-11-2003, 02:49
Slaves maintained aqueducts in Rome. Larger cities were probably the same. Constantinople even had aquarii whose job it was to detect illegal attempts to tap into the supply. Augustus created a body of state slaves for Rome who were tasked with maintaining the aqueducts. An aqueduct fund supplied the funds for repairs. Most public works came to be the responsibility of a corvee - a sordidum munus - which a Roman landowner's labourers or the inhabitants of a village were obliged to undertake. City walls were the concern of cities as were their public buildings. Only when an established city blundered badly would the skills of a legion be available - recall Pliny asking Trajan about blundering in several cities of his province (translated text of correspondence (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/pliny-trajan1.html) ). That said the original work was probably in most instances was the work of Rome's amazingly multi-skilled legionaries and even maintenance in less populated frontier areas probably fell to them - though emperors who combined hard discipline with no increase in pay or even a decrease tended to die as Pertinax did.

Infrastructure in the form of roads or bridges is probably not something that this game is concerned with. Bridge building only recommenced seriously in the Later Medieval era at the end of the game's time span. Fortifications seem to be a concern of the game though. I hope that there will be some chance of varying them beyond the simple choice of choosing to upgrade them. A wall in medieval Europe does not seem that likely. The example of the Capetian kings of France having only undisputed authority as far as the range of the Paris Metro is one I read somewhere. One could imagine how an assembly of feudal magnates would have reacted on being asked to fund a wall around a kingdom. Something nasty might have happened to a king with such an idea....

Vassals: is there such a system in the game as the thread starter Arjenvs asked?

I think that vassals will be part of the game element whereby knights are enticed into supporting a ruler or killed or exiled and not a distinct feature like with Lords of the Realm III.

Jerome
24-11-2003, 10:30
where do ppl come up with all this historical know-how? :confused:

i like it! :cheers:

Arjenvs
25-11-2003, 10:54
Originally posted by Jerome
where do ppl come up with all this historical know-how? :confused:

i like it! :cheers:

Yes ok...me too....but leave it for the Royal Inn....Not for my question topic....:angel:

Pioneer
25-11-2003, 21:05
The second bit was precisely on topic. And the earlier part did link the historical points to the game. Here is the second part again:

Vassals: is there such a system in the game as the thread starter Arjenvs asked?

I think that vassals will be part of the game element whereby knights are enticed into supporting a ruler or killed or exiled and not a distinct feature like with Lords of the Realm III.

Jerome,

The know-how is just from a long interest in Roman history and some useful books. The Later Roman Empire in particular is a fine narrative of later Roman history, a clear exposition of a wondrously complex era from an economic and administrative point of view as well a veritable mine of useful titbits of information. One quite vivid image from the book is that of the Roman court on the move. Mounted troopers and offices clogging the roads for mile accompanying wagons laden with boxes of files or gold and silver in the form of coins and bars. Even a full mint might accompany the emperor and court on their peregrinations.

Now this prompts a question: will be king and court be individuals whom the player or the ai can attack or ransom? If the king is a character in the game I hope he will be a little more fit than the one in Age of Kings:) .

Arjenvs
26-11-2003, 14:24
Ok you're right....

Originally posted by Pioneer

Is there?

QUOTE]Originally posted by Pioneer
Now this prompts a question: will be king and court be individuals whom the player or the ai can attack or ransom? If the king is a character in the game I hope he will be a little more fit than the one in Age of Kings:) . [/QUOTE]

Also like to know....

Arjenvs
01-12-2003, 16:37
still wondering (just posted now...so that the topic will not be lost in the history of the topics......):cheers: