PDA

View Full Version : Ambush Mode ??? Idee ???

eagle1
18-05-2004, 17:13
>I have never see in a strategie game a ambush mode.

Like example, you dig yourself in the ground and then cammoflage yourself with grass and stuff like that.
Then if youre ennemy is following youre others units and are behind your'e lines of defends you can pull your'e units out the ground and close them in from behind.

I just mean i whant a game where you realy have to think about the strategie that you are gone to use.
Like example William Wallace in the movie with BRAVEHEART where he pulls out that longe spears against horses or set land on fire to close them in.

Angryminer
18-05-2004, 17:20
I don't think that digging into the ground was a commonly used strategy in the medieval era. In fact, that was never common. Only rarely used in Hollywood-WWII-movies ;) .
But yes, your strategic moves will influence the game very strong.

Angryminer

Henrik
18-05-2004, 17:33
This could work, but i may also complicate things a little - i.e. do we have time in the game to make ambushes - when we at the same time have a kingdom to run ?

eagle1
18-05-2004, 18:55
Originally posted by Henrik
This could work, but i may also complicate things a little - i.e. do we have time in the game to make ambushes - when we at the same time have a kingdom to run ?

there is always time to do new things. How more new things that you can bring in a game how more it will be sold.

and i never have see a ambush mode so, i think this is a opertunity for the Makers of KOH.;)

geno604
18-05-2004, 19:42
Havent you played starcraft, If you play as a zerg.. you can create zerglings that burrow underground. and the other players cant see them... then when they are close enough or past you, you can unburrow them at your own will...

thats ambush, made in a game years ago..

Sure a cool trick though :)

Finellach
18-05-2004, 19:50
I really hope you will be able to ambush someone. I had one idea in my mind for some time now.

For example you have a spy in your enemy's castle and you find out that the enemy King is preapering a sneak attack on you. So you play dumb and act like you will do nothing. But instead you plan to make a sneak attack on his sneaking forces and crush him. :D

I think that would be great. :)

Gorgoroth
18-05-2004, 20:37
Originally posted by geno604
Havent you played starcraft, If you play as a zerg.. you can create zerglings that burrow underground. and the other players cant see them... then when they are close enough or past you, you can unburrow them at your own will...

thats ambush, made in a game years ago..

Sure a cool trick though :)

SC is one of the best RTS games!!
My friend is a big addict to it, he even played it on the WCG. [World Cyber Games.] :cool:

Drake Maethor
18-05-2004, 22:41
Hey, go to the main page www.knightsofhonor.com, put your mouse pointer on the "Game Info" menu, and then in the pop up menu that appears click in "Featured Story".

There you have a little story about a marching army that got ambushed after a long day of march.

It's a pity they didn't add more Featured Stories! That one was good and interesting.

Finellach
18-05-2004, 23:38
The link is not valid.
This is the correct one ===> http://www.knightsofhonor.net/ ;)

Btw. this is very interesting. I haven't noticed this small feature until now...

Redback
19-05-2004, 00:03
Ambushing is a strategy that you could probably use in the games night cycle, reduced visibility for the enemy should make this easy.

Maybe the AI will be programed to use this tactic as well?.
I hope so?.

Drake Maethor
19-05-2004, 04:06
Originally posted by Finellach
The link is not valid.
This is the correct one ===> [/URL]

That was because of the comma :D

Look, try now [url]www.knightsofhonor.com (http://www.knightsofhonor.net/)

.com also works! ;)

d'Honaire
25-05-2004, 02:17
Ambush, in the game sense anyways, would be extremely difficult to pull off. Seeing as that an ambush requires a premeditated target and a reconniassaince of the area, which also requires a lot of waiting. Also, it requires camouflage, which was not unheard of in medieval times, but was not in common use as it is today. Now, it is possible for a unit to be somewhat hidden at night, but you'll still be seen on the screen, so an ambush is again difficult to say the least. Also, one more problem that I see with an ambush option, for an ambush to work in the game, the unit has to remain hidden until it attacks, which also means that it has to remain hidden moving to and fro.:scratch: I think it could work, but it might be require too much effort.:cheers:

Drake Maethor
26-05-2004, 03:04
Ah... by the way!
Units do have a line of sight!

HappyAdolf
01-06-2004, 11:37
hmm, maybe you could have units that are invisible in forests (like the outlaws in Castle Strike) or you could take your units into a forest like in Praetorians where the trees hide the units and suddenly arrows are flying out of the forest and swordsmen are running out. That would be cooooool!:cheers:

Drake Maethor
05-06-2004, 07:16
Indeed!

Does anyone knows what part trees play?

EDIT:
I found this post in the thread "German forum, what's going on".
Originally posted by Angryminer
While I'm at it...

Frank Fay made a statement about the Line of Sight.
The soldier's Line of Sight is not broken by trees, objects or hills. It is only influenced by range and is used to calculate morale.
So your units will be able to see everything, but the things which happen beyond a certain range don't influence the unit's morale anymore.

However, trees still influence a soldier's performance in fight. So keep your cavalry away from the woods ;) .

Angryminer

So, they will affect soldier's performance but not LOS. So that also means that they won't be able to hide there?
Devs?

Angryminer
05-06-2004, 10:47
They can't hide in forrests.
But for example cavalry fights worse than bad in forrests.

Angryminer

Frank Fay
05-06-2004, 11:51
No hiding, but they can go into the woods and lure units which have an attack or defense penalty in woods there.