PDA

View Full Version : Siege warfare

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dark Lord Baloch
19-05-2004, 15:46
How many men can you hide in a castle during seige time? meaning what is the maximum number of men?

Redback
19-05-2004, 22:33
G'day and welcome

I think that depends on the size of the town/city.
I think you start with a small town and upgrade it over time into a larger city.
The larger the city the bigger the garrison.:) :cool:

Henrik
20-05-2004, 01:20
I'll agree Redback, however i also hope that we are able to reinforce the garrison with one or more of our armies.

Redback
20-05-2004, 01:40
Originally posted by Henrik
I'll agree Redback, however i also hope that we are able to reinforce the garrison with one or more of our armies.

Yes that would be cool:cool: Maybe sneak reinforcements in during the night cycle,that would be neat.:cool: :D

Spudster
20-05-2004, 03:52
I believe that the number of men there in the castle depends on which castle size you have built at the moment. I think there are 4 sizes of castles. But i do have to agree, the size of castle probably is determined by size of town or amount of money and building materials. Besides the men in the castle, I think you can add more on to the walls of the garrison which includes the castle. I wonder if you could put catupults or tribuchets on the wall. It would just be like Lord of The Rings in the siege of Minas Tirith..that would be cool.....just a thought!

Drake Maethor
20-05-2004, 07:38
I am totally sure that you can reinforce a castle with one of your armies, but remember that the more people inside, the faster supplies will get short in case of a siege.

Elewyn
20-05-2004, 09:28
I think there are two diferent things. One is level of a castle wich influence number of Town guards' squads (every ew level=one more squad?)
and capacity of garrison based on regular troops. I'm sure there can be some, on one screenshot I saw 3 squads and I think it's possible to have more.

btw, that screenshot is impossible to be seen :scratch: it's called "Improving of castle in austria" and everytime I click on itm, another one emerges and whatever I do is useless, because under that name is some other screenshot :( I think it was already asked to be changed some time ago and still it sin't fixed :(

hmm.. so I found it. The screenshot I wanted to see is this one (http://www.knights-of-honor.net//english/screenshot.php?screenshot=0093&all=0100|0099|0098|0097|0096|0101|0095|0094|0093#) , but you must click to "Austria and the Danube river" to see it. When you click on this screenshot in gallery, you'll see "Austria and Danube" river under name "Improving castle of Austria". Some bad joke, isn't it?

So, you can see there 3 squads and place for 3 more squads, but who knows what level it is?

But yes, Drake, you're right, player must ballance number of troops to be able to resist both-siege and assault. For siege it's good to have less troops, but if there is very few of them, there is a risk of being assaulted by besieging enemy

Frank Fay
21-05-2004, 17:07
The maximum is:

4 Squads of Town Guards, coming for free for each 3 Townlevels one squad. 12 Townlevels / 3 = 4 squads.

But you need to have build a Town Watch, without, no Town Guards.

Additionally you can garrison 6 squads of ANY type you like. You can either produce or a Marshal can carry and swap them into Garrison.

Current status: 10 squads...

But if you have deployed a Marshal, you can have 9 squads additional = 19 squads.

Elewyn
21-05-2004, 17:10
Wooooww. That's great, man!! :)

btw. Will siege towers be possible to use, or it was only old plan and they are definitively removed from KoH?

Finellach
21-05-2004, 17:14
19 squads?! That will be one tough nutt to crack!:beek: :D

Gorgoroth
21-05-2004, 17:42
Originally posted by Frank Fay
The maximum is:

4 Squads of Town Guards, coming for free for each 3 Townlevels one squad. 12 Townlevels / 3 = 4 squads.

But you need to have build a Town Watch, without, no Town Guards.

Additionally you can garrison 6 squads of ANY type you like. You can either produce or a Marshal can carry and swap them into Garrison.

Current status: 10 squads...

But if you have deployed a Marshal, you can have 9 squads additional = 19 squads.

Whoa. Thats a LOT. :hello:

Frank Fay
21-05-2004, 17:49
Yes you are right, the Siege Tower has been removed. There are many reasons for that. But let me try to explain.

History:
Let's see why there were Siege towers in History at all. First it was not so easy to break the walls with catapults or to underdig them. Second, even if you can break the wall it was thousand times more expensive to fix the wall later than to make a siege tower. THOUSAND times! The besiegers had plenty of time during the siege. That is it in very brief .. .but that was reality.

Games:
Many games have siege towers mainly 'coz they "sound cool" at the first glance. BUT, to have catapults they must be EFFECTIVE. Effective meas they MUST break the walls. And why is the tower then?! Imagine a game (a GAME) where you can't break the walls that easily. You make an assault and you shoot and shoot and shoot with your catapults and the walls is (may be little cranked) but still there. Yes, in such case you can find the towers useful - but while waiting you will be terribly pissed off. There are quite many games providing exacly that.

KoH:
Initially (maybe as other developers too) we decided to have the Siege Tower in. But when the game came more and more together we found out, that perhaps it would be a better idea to abandon the tower.

Yes, it may sound like a harsh decision and that we claim "all other developers were wrong" - but in fact we are sure that was a very logical move to do so. And not sacrifice the fun of the battles for the sake of having a Siege Tower.

Please dont get me wrong, I dont claim that we are better developers. In fact some games who have a Siege Tower are brilliant but the Tower was not suitable.

Elewyn
21-05-2004, 18:18
You gave really good, rational and respectable reasons and I can't do anything than agree.

I just want to see the towers, because they sound and may look cool :)

Finellach
21-05-2004, 18:22
Honestly towers or no towers the game will be the same. :)

I remember AoM siege towers and I disliked them. Sure I used them since they were the best against walls and fortresses, but the game would be much better and more dynamic without them.

Kuno of Gersenau
21-05-2004, 18:23
Your reasons are really very logic Frank.
I say the same like Elewyn, I wanted siege towers because I think they are cool! But if I look at your reasons, it's ok that they are removed.

It's a bit sad, but more logic...

Vytis
21-05-2004, 22:17
Originally posted by Frank Fay

...when the game came more and more together we found out, that perhaps it would be a better idea to abandon the tower.
...we are sure that was a very logical move to do so. And not sacrifice the fun of the battles for the sake of having a Siege Tower.

...There are many reasons for that...

So what's exactly the reason?

Henrik
21-05-2004, 23:48
I'll almost with the rest of you regarding Franks statement eventhough it's still sad that we can't have the siegetower.

I'm also happy to see that you have upto 19 squads garrison the city - coz then i would make 19 squads of archers and post them on the castle tower or wall (http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?s=&action=&threadid=180&postid=29065#post29065) to cut down those unprotected laddermen while they try to scale the wall - a siegetower would have helped the troops getting to the wall in relative safety i.e so they would not end up looking like "hedgehogs" before they reach the wall.

Finellach
22-05-2004, 00:23
19 squads or archers? Don't you think thats a bit exaggerated? mean 3-4 would be enough even 4-5 would be too much. There must be some room for the counter attack. ;)

I would first soften them a bit with my archers then as they preapere to siege my walls I order attack and my rushing army supported by archers from the walls crushes them to dust. :D

Emhyr var Emreis
22-05-2004, 00:24
Remember that from those 19 4 must be town guards if I red this thread well.

btw, great that such number of units is possible to defend a castle!

Henrik
22-05-2004, 01:42
Originally posted by Finellach
19 squads or archers? Don't you think thats a bit exaggerated? mean 3-4 would be enough even 4-5 would be too much. There must be some room for the counter attack. ;)

I would first soften them a bit with my archers then as they preapere to siege my walls I order attack and my rushing army supported by archers from the walls crushes them to dust. :D

I felt i needed to exaggerat to prove my point :)

One can only hope that they'll include the siegetower in KoH2 if it ever comes...