PDA

View Full Version : [Idea] Random map

Pages : [1] 2

Elewyn
26-05-2004, 22:44
I don't know if it was suggested before.

but I think that having this option alongside with 3 historical entry points will add game some popularity among gamers. They won't be tied with "boring" history.
What is the point?

There were some guys in the Forum asking to play mostly for Belgium and Romania. They have no chance to play their countries in neither of 3 entry points.

This random map will be about this:
player will chose almost everything by himself: how many and then which realms will be in his kingdom, religion and especially the name. There will probably be some limit of f.e. 15 realms, more he won't be able to chose.

In the rest of map he will be able to set which character other kingdoms will have:
- number of kingdoms (or also specificate them exactly by realms, name and religion)
- number of catholic/pagan/orthodox/muslim kingdoms
- difficulty etc.

I think it will be just a substitution of missing editor, we won't be able to make our own maps, we'll be able to "rebuild" Europe from the beggining.

I know you may blame me that it will be historical diletantism, but many gamers will appreciate IMO (those who don't mind having Germany instead of HRE:D *jk*)

so an example:
our mate Alex from Romania asked us if Romania will be playable.
1) He will chose random map.
2) big 3d map of whole KoH playable area will emerge on screen
3) by clicking to realms he will chose location and size of his kingdom on the beggining
4) he will name his kingdom and chose its other specifications (religion etc.)
5) he will chose between specifying other kingdoms or leting ot to AI

if let it to AI:
6) chose total number of other kingdoms and if he wants
7) if he would like, he would specify where kingdoms will be concentrated (by clicking to one realm and area around will have more kingdoms then other)
7) chose total number of catholic, then orthodox, then muslim, than pagan kingdoms (with possibility to place them somewhere)
8 ) set other general specifications for "scenario" (numbe of vassal states ...) and
9) play
names will chose AI from names of realms and kingdoms available in 3 historical entry points

if he will specify each kingdom itself, he will do the same like with his own with all of other kingdoms, specify relations (vassality etc.)

what do you think about it?

Gorgoroth
26-05-2004, 23:01
Ummmmm...not a must have.
You are suggesting this for an expansion, am I correct?
I am certainly sure, that the devs wont add hardcore content now, beta is closing in propably.
If the devs will have free time they should make a conquest MP mode. That should have nr1. priority on the list, if there will be an expansion. After that maybe more units what I want. Your suggestion aint bad, but I can live without it, frankly. ;)

Klauwaart
26-05-2004, 23:16
At the start of the game there should be an opportunity to play as a rebel especially in the first 2 periods.

You don't choose a kingdom but instead of that you choose to start a rebellion on an realm of your choise.

If you want an independant realm you simply conquer that realm with your rebels.

Advantage everyone can also play with his own realm of his/her choice in every period !

Elewyn
26-05-2004, 23:23
yes, this was discussed already, Klauwaart. Not a bad idea. This what I suggest is easier or players, more difficult for development.

Yea, Gorgoroth, you're right. It seems to be too late since the game is at last stage of development. I should have had this idea little earlier :(

For me it's really not important, I'm, as somebody said somewhere on the forum, history buzz, I like this game as close to correctness as possible. But I think that many gamers who are more interested in good gameplay more than history would appreciate this, because it will make them free of historical facts.

sorry devs if it is irrelevant now.

just an idea, possibly for expansion

Redback
27-05-2004, 12:53
Not a bad idea Elewyn ,very well thought out too.
But for me it would depend on how many hours it would take to play a campaign,through to the finish.
I don't know how long that will take,but if its not long,then definatley great Idea for an addon.:cool:
Great work:cheers:

Henrik
27-05-2004, 13:10
I voted for : "Yes, it would be perfect idea" because i think that it will make KoH so versatile that it will suit both the "history-nerds" and those who don't care about it !

Elewyn
27-05-2004, 13:11
Originally posted by Henrik
it will make KoH so versatile that it will suit both the "history-nerds" and those who don't care about it ! that's the purpouse! :)

geno604
27-05-2004, 20:17
A very good idea, the first game that used this was civ1 lol!

It will add alot more replayability when it comes game over time.

I hope its considered for this build, or for the next (if there is a next)

Kuno of Gersenau
27-05-2004, 21:18
Well, the idea isn't bad, but I don't think that it's really necessairy.
If you look, also a lot of Americans play Medieval games, even there was no Medieval in America. So I think that people who cannot play with their "today" country can play with the kingdom which was there at these times, and this is alos someting I suppose...and even more than the Americans can. ;)

Sir Turylon
27-05-2004, 22:44
Originally posted by Henrik
I voted for : "Yes, it would be perfect idea" because i think that it will make KoH so versatile that it will suit both the "history-nerds" and those who don't care about it !

ah-hem we prefer the term "History Enthusiasts" over "History nerds".

thank you.

good idea, random map generator is definitely one of the biggest factors in keeping a game replayable forever. Examples: Civilization, Age of Empires.

If you look, also a lot of Americans play Medieval games, even there was no Medieval in America.

WHAT! There was a medieval period in america! you never heard of the aztecs, incas, mayans, anastazi(sp?)!!

joking aside. Yes, it is a shame that our country never had castles and feudalism. But, then again... our ancestors did come from over there... so in a part we did experience it. I know my family was definitely part of the HRE.
probably from Bavaria, with a few normans through in.

Kuno of Gersenau
28-05-2004, 11:47
Ok, Atztecs, Mayas, etc. This I forgot...but how you said it's not the same...
And many Americans will play maybe with the country where their family originally came from, but I don't know how much of them still know this

I'ts a good idea if there is a random-generator, but I think this will only come for KoH2, and in the Addon we will have maybe an Editor...but how is it there with the names, etc. :scratch:

HexHammer
28-05-2004, 19:57
Not only should there be "random map" but also "random quests"

Ie:

- The high priest in the churc says, if you retrive that relic in the holy land, we will grant u this and that power.

- The kings ask, that you kill some renegade lord, and he will grant you, either an upgradet stronghold, or more army, or more land ..etc..

I never understood, why RTS games, couldn't put "random quests" in their gamefeatures, then the re-playability would greatly increase, the turn based Warlord series, always had this feature, from the late '80, Me thinks.

I'm so fed up with the usual, build up ..smash ..bash ..and trash up everything, and everybody .................*sigh*.......................:rol leyes:

Krum The Terrible
28-05-2004, 19:59
I voted for Good idea,but...I suggest that every battle in the Campain mode will be some sort of random map.You know that the fight starts where one army meet another, but this can be everywhere in Europe, North Africa...:)

geno604
28-05-2004, 20:09
Random quest's, good idea hex. Sounds like alot of replayability could come from that.

Sir Turylon
29-05-2004, 06:04
Originally posted by geno604
Random quest's, good idea hex. Sounds like alot of replayability could come from that.

very nice idea. but instead of calling them quests and labeling KoH another Warcraft 3 or other RTRPG, impliment them into diplomacy? IE, Lord of Bohemia sends word to you that he will give you a county if you can force the enemy from his main realm. Quests just sound too RPGish. ya know?

Elewyn
29-05-2004, 06:25
I think that every game will be quite different (I hope cos' devs promissed it), even if you play the same country in same entry point.
There aready are random events such as this from Cork2's FAQ:
Q: Are there epidemics like the plague in this game?
A: We have random events in the game... What are these, we will tell you a bit later. But one could be for instance that your food production will sink about x% for a while and some
of your realms my have hunger and you have to buy them food to survive until the event is over.

not in diplomacy, but I guess that in every game kings behave little different, so no diplomatic random events are needed.

Emhyr var Emreis
31-05-2004, 15:36
hey, Elewyn, mate, what is your source of those perfect ideas?

that's great. I vote YES, of course. It will longer the fun of game :go:

HappyAdolf
01-06-2004, 15:42
Great idea, but not necessary, although it would be much more fun, especially in multiplayer. But I think there will be an expansion, soon, every good game has an expansion. I bet they will not make it in the original game because they wouldnt have enough ideas for the expansion, then;) And another great idea for the expansion, you talked about Aztecs, Maya, Inca etc., so why not including America into the game? In the end of the MiddleAges Spain conquered the new world,so why not including a new epoch in the expansion (renaissance for example) and new areas, maybe Asia, too, with the Mongols, Chinese, Japanese etc.
With an random map like Elewyn said, you could create places like America or Asia.

The Council
04-06-2004, 15:55
About playing Belguim.....In that time you had the duchie of Brabant and you had Flandres too (for instance) I would for instance rather play those then ...Belguim... one of them is ingame , right? :confused:

ps sorry little touchy about this lol :cheers:

Elewyn
04-06-2004, 16:04
Flandre is separate realm (however it includes also Brabant, Holand, Gelre and almost whole Low countries). I still hope it will be playable fraction in high medieval era as a vassal of France.

I would also rather play Flandre than Belgium (what would be absolutely incorrect, far more than "Germany" :)), but if somebody would want, random map would be just feature to enable doing this.