PDA

View Full Version : Colors, Oh the bright colors

Pages : [1] 2 3

vanedor
08-11-2003, 05:26
One thing that bugs me all the time... is how uniform every characters seem to be.

Just look at this :

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/pc/knightsofhonor/1006/k_screen006.jpg

Everyone got blue tunics, coats, cloaks... It's only a detail, true, but it makes it look very non realistic. Especially for peasants who never ever wore uniforms in those time. It's even truer for peasant not even recruited for the army who just walk around in your town.

Just look at this screenshot, there is not even anyone in town walking with clothes *not* red.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/pc/knightsofhonor/1006/k_screen016.jpg

And I'm wondering. What about the knights? Are they wearing their own colors or the one of their king?

I would love it if the different "low level" units : peasants, unarmored spearmen, light horsemen, archers would wear random color of clothe. Armored footmen and horsemen could wear the color of the local lord they were recruited by... or the king's color if they were recruited in the king's capital. I know, it would be a bit confusing, to know what troops are actually your, but that was a problem soldiers of that time had to deal with, that's what those banners were for.

vanedor
08-11-2003, 05:34
Oh, and I forgot.

All the horses are brown! c'mon.

Elewyn
08-11-2003, 08:43
You're right. Knights with their own colors and you can recognize his side by the flag he's careeing, the knight and the leader of soldier formation... what about this?

G_R
08-11-2003, 09:13
I dont know about knights but common folk should wear common clothes - i mean they cant wear expensive clothing-can't they ?!?

Are kings actualy going to participate in KoH or thats just a nother name for a Player?And will they wear expensive clothing:D (the kings)?

Carcassone
10-11-2003, 20:43
Originally posted by G_R
I dont know about knights but common folk should wear common clothes - i mean they cant wear expensive clothing-can't they ?!?

Are kings actualy going to participate in KoH or thats just a nother name for a Player?And will they wear expensive clothing:D (the kings)?

As I've read in the past Kings can go to battle if they'd like and if they're killled succession occurs. However, the whole scope of this game is kingdom management. If I don't have an heir, there is no way I'm going to battle.

As for the comment on peasants clothing: yeah, i agree, their clothes should be drab and basic. However, I can understand why they do have colors, simple understanding of who's kingdom they belong to. A simple fix for that would be a subtle dot of a given color above their head or something to that effect. In fact a visual cue like that could be used for a Knight's army as well. Colors are very, very, very, much AOE/AOK.

Elewyn
10-11-2003, 23:05
I think horses should have more than only beown colour. Maybe it can be hard, but give at least white horses to kings and black/white to knights. It wont be honorable for king to have only the green one.

BINGFA
11-11-2003, 00:32
It seems pretty RTS standard to me to designate sides with specific coloured uniforms.

The confusion of trying to Flag identify 8 + different players would surely be impossible or at least highly inefficient in a meelee situation.

Remember that each unit type needs its own graphics files with associated overheads of production, time, cost and system specs.

vanedor
11-11-2003, 02:02
The confusion of trying to Flag identify 8 + different players would surely be impossible or at least highly inefficient in a meelee situation.

From the way I understand this game(somewhat Shogun like), you won't have battles a la rts with more than 2 sides.

It seems pretty RTS standard to me to designate sides with specific coloured uniforms.

Well, yes, it's standard. But this game is not "standard". I'm not even sure we can call it a rts since it seems to me pretty far from what we usually call a rts... Command and Conquer, Starcraft, Warcraft, Warlord Battlecry etc

This game attemps to be more realistic... and reastically, peasants and soldiers don't wear pretty uniforms of the same color.

For the peasants, since they are there just to show the life of your town/village/castle, it would not even affect the gameplay to have them wear "normal" clothes.

Jorghan
11-11-2003, 02:27
Hmm, even if games like theese (and I hope we will be seeing more of them in the future) aren't like other RTS we know, CC and the like, I think we should still call them RTS. Since they are actually about strategy and not like the games we call RTS today, who are more a combination of action and tactics.

Elewyn
25-11-2003, 00:03
Hi, mods, i think, theres something forgotten;) give us any reply,pleas.The colours are important, so what about colours of realms (sth like realm uniform)and kingdom flags, it would be more realistic and not too complicated...
:cheers:

Jerome
25-11-2003, 10:37
its not that bad is it?

i mean; most horses are indeed brown arent they?

most soldiers in the same unit do wear the same tunic dont they?

personally i dont think its that bad, in fact i dont think its bad at all. ;)

:angel:

Arjenvs
25-11-2003, 11:07
Originally posted by Jerome
its not that bad is it?

i mean; most horses are indeed brown arent they?

most soldiers in the same unit do wear the same tunic dont they?

personally i dont think its that bad, in fact i dont think its bad at all. ;)

:angel:

agree....:cheers:

Cork2
25-11-2003, 16:45
It isn't bad. I would have a hard time telling which soldier would belong to me if they wore different colors. Its better if they have the same color. About the horses i would prefer them to be not all brown, put a little white in there or black or white and black dots( no wait thats a cow right?).

Arjenvs
25-11-2003, 17:27
Originally posted by Cork2
It isn't bad. I would have a hard time telling which soldier would belong to me if they wore different colors. Its better if they have the same color. About the horses i would prefer them to be not all brown, put a little white in there or black or white and black dots( no wait thats a cow right?).

Can we ride on COWS too!!!! Wow...don't know if that is realistic......cool though.....hmmmm:rolleyes:

Cork2
25-11-2003, 18:57
Well if you run out of an army and horses maybe then you can have farmers with pitchforks mount their pigs and cows. That will be your army for a while. j/k

Elewyn
26-11-2003, 09:32
I meant thet every realm soldier would have realm colours and the leader of the formation would have a kingdom flag...
Well medieval battles weren't so easy, didn't have uniformed soldiers and this is, I guess, compromise between the reality and playability

And about animals there's no doubt that noone wants only brown horses

Jerome
26-11-2003, 09:39
Originally posted by Elewyn

And about animals there's no doubt that noone wants only brown horses

i agree, my knights should be riding on great black stallions of war :D

Elewyn
26-11-2003, 10:04
And my King baeutiful white one... its the only colour for real King's horse:D

Arjenvs
26-11-2003, 14:17
My Knights.... on White with brown .....still very special horses....

Elewyn
26-11-2003, 22:08
OK,so I think that moderators ignore this thread...
It's a pity...:(