PDA

View Full Version : some questions about cities

HappyAdolf
01-06-2004, 11:31
here are some questions about the cities in koh:
1. Are the castle and the town seperated loke in Castle Strike? In Castle Strike you couldnt build your town-buildings inside the castle walls.If it is the same in KoH, is there a city wall for your town? In Castle Strike you had to leave your town unprotected.

2.Will the buildings of the different natons look different from each other like in Cossacks (Every nation had its own building-style) or will some nations have buildings the other Nations do not have?

3.Can you build something like a secret entrance to your castle like in Castle Strike? So that you can escape with your units from a hopeless battle? That would be cool and you would be able to use new tactics. For example: You have a town in France and from the north you are attacked by England, from the East by Germany. But those nations are in war with each other, so you just leave the castle and let them fight against each other. When they are busy fighting each other you could just march in again and kill them much easier.

4.Can buildings only be destroyed by siege weapons like in Castle Strike or Cossacks or could every simple swordsman destroy your castle walls? I hope you can destroy them only by siege weapons, because this is much more realistic and prevents early rushes. And maybe you could burn the buildings with torches or burning arrows?

5.Can you really CONQUER the enemy towns? In most games you had to destroy the enemy buildings to defeat him, but here I think (and hope) that you have to kill all enemy soldiers and then you can conquer the town so it is yours. That wouls be much more realistic, in history every nation conquered their enemies, they didnt burn their towns to the ground, but took them for themselves.(only exception: The barbarian tribes of the Huns and Vikings: they plundered their enemies towns and burnt them to the ground.)

6.Now a question to diplomacy: How good is the diplomacy system? How much can you do with it? Can you make complicated Bündnissysteme (sorry, dont know the English word, thats German) like Bismarck in the late 19.century? Such like bringing two other countries into war or making for example England and France to your allies although they are in war with each other? Or could you declare war to a nation which is allied with one of your allies and your ally has to choose for whom he is fighting or staying neutral?

Elewyn
01-06-2004, 13:36
Hi, HappyAdolf. Good questions. I'm not a developer, but I think I can help you while devs are workin' hard now.Originally posted by HappyAdolf
1. Are the castle and the town seperated loke in Castle Strike? In Castle Strike you couldnt build your town-buildings inside the castle walls.If it is the same in KoH, is there a city wall for your town? In Castle Strike you had to leave your town unprotected. from what we can see on screenshots castle is something like town citadel.
Following words are my guess: you can loose the town, enemy can brake town walls, but castle can still be held by you. Since the castle is yours, whole province belongs officially to you.

2.Will the buildings of the different natons look different from each other like in Cossacks (Every nation had its own building-style) or will some nations have buildings the other Nations do not have? not every nation, but there will be 3 architecture and cultural styles:
western
eastern
arabic
From my point of view it fits enough to medieval Europe. Of course there were diferent styles in French, Italian, German and many more areas, but their were not so different.
Those styles seems to be more defined by land than by owner (If France holds province in Africa, it still has arabic style, not western. One reason of it is also possibility to change religion-"cultural identification"- in KoH

4.Can buildings only be destroyed by siege weapons like in Castle Strike or Cossacks or could every simple swordsman destroy your castle walls? I hope you can destroy them only by siege weapons, because this is much more realistic and prevents early rushes. And maybe you could burn the buildings with torches or burning arrows?Buildings are destroyable only by siege weapons and fire arrows. If ranged units shoot at buildings, they automatically use fire arows (you don't need any skill for it). I don't know if fire arrows are effective also aggainst stone buildings, but I hope not at all.

5.Can you really CONQUER the enemy towns? In most games you had to destroy the enemy buildings to defeat him, but here I think (and hope) that you have to kill all enemy soldiers and then you can conquer the town so it is yours. That wouls be much more realistic, in history every nation conquered their enemies, they didnt burn their towns to the ground, but took them for themselves.(only exception: The barbarian tribes of the Huns and Vikings: they plundered their enemies towns and burnt them to the ground.) Castle is lost when there is no soldier to defend it (more like in Heroes series than in f.e Knights and merchants or AoE series). The main difference there is that when you use siege equipment to destroy walls and capture the town and castle, walls will be damaged untill you repair them. (So if you capture town by assault and brake walls and immediately your enemy will arrive, walls will be still broken because repairing takes some time, so your enemy can use "holes" in town walls made by you.
Another way how to capture town and castle is Siege. It takes place in World view and you don't use soldiers for it. It takes more time, but as far as I know, walls are not damaged by it. The point is to cut the town from food and force it to surrender.
btw my question to devs. What will happen with surrendered army?

6.Now a question to diplomacy: How good is the diplomacy system? How much can you do with it? Can you make complicated Bündnissysteme (sorry, dont know the English word, thats German) like Bismarck in the late 19.century? Such like bringing two other countries into war or making for example England and France to your allies although they are in war with each other? Or could you declare war to a nation which is allied with one of your allies and your ally has to choose for whom he is fighting or staying neutral? Diplomacy n KoH is very deep and wide, but I don't know if those things are possible. Actually it is far more realistic than in other RTS games. Some examples: marriage is one way hw to get ally or land, you can trade lands with other nations and many more features

HappyAdolf
01-06-2004, 15:29
Thanks for the answers! That was exactly what I wanted to know! And about the thing with let us know with nation you choose I have written something under this threat.

Angryminer
01-06-2004, 17:08
bringing two other countries into warYes, you can ask other kings to start wars. But be aware that you need to do something in return for them... ;)or making for example England and France to your allies although they are in war with each otherThat depends on the word 'ally'. They can both be your true friends and you can ask both of them to do special 'services' for you. But if you mean a military alliance, it will be broken the very moment you don't intervene in one of the two wars (England vs France and France vs England). But as a matter of fact, you can't engage in both wars, so a military alliance will be broken.
[ Please note that this point is just spoken from my experience in the forums. I'm not a dev, so I don't know the exact truth ;) ]Or could you declare war to a nation which is allied with one of your allies and your ally has to choose for whom he is fighting or staying neutral?Yes, he will have to decide ;) .

Angryminer

Albanian_Empire
06-06-2004, 00:06
Can the weather affect the troops? Since there is snow for ex if you take a nation around Russia or Scandinavia can the snow affect the troops the morale, food and all other stuff?

Angryminer
06-06-2004, 00:41
Weather doesn't influence the soldiers in any way. Nor does the terrain type.

Angryminer