PDA

View Full Version : Got a ? [Excommunications and hostility in late game]

People's Republic of China
20-11-2006, 07:41
I noticed that when my Empire starts to control more than 40% of the map. I get excommunicated, even by a pope I put into office. also, the other countries/empires start becomming more hostile and my trade profits go down. Does this happen to anyone else?

Elvain
20-11-2006, 10:14
the thing is
1) mostly my experience is that once you controll northern Italy as well as southern it somehow makes the pope (the institution of Pope, not the state of Papacy) more hostile towards you
2) the trade profit is simply caused by the fact that you and your trading partners have mostly all or most of the comodities to trade so the profit is lower (this is at least with my mod, but I think that in smaller part it affects also vanilla trade)
3) they are more hostile? did it happen more than once? I try to do everything to make such hostitlity work

Angryminer
20-11-2006, 10:34
1. The pope excommunicates you based on specific factors. Having a cathedral decreases the chance to be excommunicated. Leading wars against catholics increases it.
2. Trade revenues are proportional to the relationship. Good relationship equals more revenue. Also, as you expand your borders the territory size of the other nations decreases which causes the possible trade revenue to decrease (in normal KoH without mods).
3. You expanded, propably be means of war. Thus you got a bad relation with quite a few nations. This causes their friends to also dislike you. Unless you actively care for your relations (tribute, gift to the pope, N/A pacts and alliances, weddings) your relations will always be rather low if you expand militarily.
I'd say that points 1 and 2 are caused by your bad relations in point 3, which are propably caused by your military activity. Solution: Money. Because money solves everything :wink: . At leats in KoH. Give it to the people who dislike you, give it to the pope, everyone will love you! :smile:

Angryminer

20-11-2006, 11:18
I've played as the Venetians. The Muscovites, and the English. Won them all, and the symptoms above were the same. Pope got mad at me; crusaders are a pain in the rear (especially when they march into Vladimir when all my armies are in Spain and Ireland). Even when my armies and governors weren't anywhere near Italy.

Dobber
20-11-2006, 12:21
If you are at war with a nation that has good relations with the Pope, he will excommunicate you.

Elvain
20-11-2006, 13:18
and with crusaders, if you are non-catholic nation and are at war with certain number of catholic states and/or own certain number of catholic provinces, the pope calls for a crusade against you

and with excomunications: you don't need to have armies in italy. It's enough that you own Tuscany, Venice and Naples = all the provinces that surround Roma. It increases the probability of excmunication (also to AI states)

Dobber
20-11-2006, 14:37
Sometimes, if you refuse an crusader assignment you will be excommunicated.

20-11-2006, 21:59
Thanks, I think that was the problem. (I ALWAYS try to take Venice, as it's my favourite European city).

kiri_hacker
24-11-2006, 22:25
This is kind of a question for Evalin... When i play with Jerusalem or anitoch very often Im excomunicated and i cant understand why.... I am with perfect relations with papacy and never been at war with a catholic kingdom i have only been at war with the muslims around me and they didnt have any catholic friends... Ive even two some donations to the church and had to crusades against mumeluks and the third one was against Almohads... and later on I was excomunicated i think its because i have many non catholic provinces i cant think of any good reason...