PDA

View Full Version : Portugal PLayable ?????????!

Pages : [1] 2 3

azores
21-06-2004, 19:57
I asked web master if portugal would be in the game or not and he assured me that portugal will be present in 2 periods of the game cause in the earlier period it was part of granada muslim region but in the other periods will be present in Tago and Lisbon but im afraid i didnt ask hin the most important thing !! will Portugal be playable in these 2 periods ? :(??

TheBoss
21-06-2004, 20:15
I would say yes I believe fully its playable as thats only logically as Portugal is an old nation :cheers:

azores
21-06-2004, 20:19
Thanks man i would really be happy about info from anyone about this point !

Elewyn
21-06-2004, 21:12
I also think when he told you thet it will be in 2 of 3 time periods, it means it will be playable in those 2. Because borders of realms (regions) are the same in all time periods. So if something "is in 2 periods", it very probably means it is playable.

AFAIK Portugal emerged as independent county and then kingdom in mid 12th century, so it is logical that there will be no Portugal in 1000 A.D. :)

ps. congratz to your football national team:cheers:

azores
22-06-2004, 04:03
thanks elewyn i see u are a history fan like me :)

azores
22-06-2004, 04:10
A question pls ! if one cant begin the game (early period with portugal , cause it didnt exist how come that he can use portugal in the later stages of the game ??? in the grand campaign i mean ! how is that possible i mean if the grand campaign is set to be started off from early medivial times and there is no portugal in this period than i have to start with an other nation ! so how come i can use portugal ??????

Finellach
22-06-2004, 04:56
I'd like to know this too. Will this going to work similar like in CK? Devs?

Sir Turylon
22-06-2004, 05:31
Originally posted by azores
A question pls ! if one cant begin the game (early period with portugal , caportugal in the later stages of the game ??? in the grand campaign i mean ! how is that possible i mean if the grand campaign is set to be started off from early medivial times and there is no portugal in this period than i have to start with an other nation ! so how come i can use portugal use it didnt exist how come that he can use ??????

The "Grand Campaign" has 3 starting dates and 3 difficulties each....

Portugal will NOT be starting country in Early period. It will in second and third starting dates.. or so it seems.
so I've seen...

here... take a look.
starting options (http://www.knights-of-honor.net//gfx/screenshots/scr_koh_0119.jpg)

Portugal listed in High Period (http://www.knights-of-honor.net//gfx/screenshots/scr_koh_0118.jpg)

Drake Maethor
22-06-2004, 06:50
azores!
I've just been told by the Big Developer (same as the Big Brother but for game makers), that if you don't start using some normal grammar in your posts, Portugal not only won't be in the game, but also that they would change it by Brazil.
Said that, I give you a warm welcome.
:cheers:

Elewyn
22-06-2004, 09:09
Azores, it is more than simple.

As Turylon said. The game can be started in 3 time entry points, called early, high and late.
In early point you start the game with political situation like in year 1000 AD. Then nothing more is influenced by history. This means that you have the choice to change the history in layout of year 1000. There is no year counter, only your kings are becoming older and older, their sons claim thrones etc. So you cannot expect reaching year 1150, when the game would tell you. Now in Portugal an independent kingdom emerged. Nothing like this. It may happen by rebellion, but not in 1150 coz there will be no year 1150.

Then you can start in around year 1200(high period) and political situation justafter 4th crusade, so Portugal is an independent nation and you can make it the strongest state. You are the one who writes the history then, so , again, you are not influenced by things that happened (fall of Angevin empire in France is not necessarily needed, f.e., but there will be some accidental events).Things like Castilian conquest of Andalisia is not sure, it can be changed to "moorich reconquista of peninsula or conquest from Portugal :)

Last you can start is late period with political situation in around 1350. The game will not end by some year (1453), because that year will never come. This have 2 advantages:
1) when you start in 1350 and year counter, stopping the game in 1453 cannot stop you, because there is no such counter, so you can play how long do you want.
2) if there would be year counter and "never-ending" game, it would be possible to use knights in war in years 1815, 1942, 2001, 3687 etc. what would be very strange. In my opinion, at least.

Finellach
22-06-2004, 16:56
Well let me see if I understand it correctly. You will be able to play only with the available kingdoms? So what does this mean? That if there was no Kingdom in POrtugal before 12th cnetury, but if you conquer the portuguesse provinces you will not be able to create it nevertheless?!

I must say I found that a bit stupid. IMO you should be able to create Portugal or any other kingdom that has not yet existed in the given time period if you conquer the prerequisite province for its creation.

Having this in mind and the small discussion we had about Romania it is my opinion that if you conquer the certain provinces which can create certain kingdom you should be able to proclaim it. So if you conquer the low countires you should be able to proclaim yourself King of the Netherlands althugh the kingdom of the netherlands came in 19th century. Still this is a game about creating alternative history. Thats how I see it and how IMO should be.

Angryminer
22-06-2004, 17:14
@Finellach
I requested this feature some months ago. I was told that it's Frujin's job to make a statement about that, but BSS seems to be much too busy to commit their time to the forums...

Angryminer

Elewyn
22-06-2004, 20:01
we must wait.

I add one more question. I don't think that it's necessary to be able (f.e. after conquering Low countries as king of France) to create the kingdoms you want (in this example the possible way is to rename your whole kingdom - including France - to Holland).

My question is, can we divide our kingdom between sons? F.e. I have conquered France and Britain and I have 2 sons. Britain is in strong oposition to English rule so I divide the kingdom between sons and 2 kingdoms emerge.

This would be possibility for Dutch f.e. They play for HRE and Low countries are part of their domains. When a player will have 2 sons, he will divide his kingdom to HRE and Holland (f.e.) and chose which kingdom he'll continue to play and define relations to the other one :)

Sir Turylon
22-06-2004, 20:33
Wouldn't splitting your kingdom just mean you forfeit the provinces that you have already taken. This would seem to complicate the game. IE..

I start in England, take over the islands, move on to France... take them out in a couple turns, then move over to Spain... then German states... Why would I want to relinguish control of England to somebody knowing they can rebel and ally with.... Bohemia... against me?

It would be nice to be able to great what was called Duchies... or so I remember... IE.. several groups of provinces that are controled by a member of the royal family but not open to independant rule. Creating Portugal sounds like you would want to create a self-ruled country... free from Empirical rule.

Elewyn
22-06-2004, 20:44
read carefully my previous post and you'll find this: When a player will have 2 sons, he will divide his kingdom to HRE and Holland (f.e.) and chose which kingdom he'll continue to play and define relations to the other one
it means that you can make HRE vassal of Holland if you want (coz you are the one who defines the relations), or make Holland vassal of HRE. It depends on you.

It is close to Angryminer's idea of making vassal states. You conquere some area and by adding some of your older provinces you create vassal state. Or if you prefere ruling the new conquered area, you'll make your original kingdom vassal of newly founded.

Example? Early period where is no Portugal. You are Portogeese, you can create protugal as soon as possible. You chose Asturia, conquere Lisbon-Portugal. When king will be old, you will create 2 kingdoms (and chose their names):
1) Portugal - more important for you, with provinces of Galicia/Asturia(area around Santiago de Compostela and La Coruna) and Portugal. You will chose this kingdom to continue yourself in the game
2) Leon - less important for you, vassal state of Portugal. This kingdom will then be led by AI

Sir Turylon
22-06-2004, 20:57
Define vassal state then.

Still under your control, or just paying you a certain amount of tribute.

This idea of jumping from one kingdom to another doesn't make sense in KoH. You conquer a province... it is yours. You control the production in the city and what not. Why would you want to lose control of your old province and turn it into a vassal of the new one?

I think a better solution would be the option of conquering a certain number.. say... 4 provinces and then combining them within one Kingdom title.

For instance, take over the territories in British Isles and combine them under one banner and the kingdomt title of England. You could do the same for the other regions.. France, Germany, Italy.... etc.

The idea of creating a new kingdom with an AI after you conquered a state... seems to try to force new kingdoms in one of the earlier stages.. at the whim of your kingdom.

This seems to counterdict the goal of dominating the continent.

I hope that sons of the King will not be limited to just 100% loyalty to their father. IE.. You give control of.. Saxony to one of your sons... He will be loyal all the time? Even if you deprive his province of food?

What I am getting at is something similair to Henry/Richard/John/Geoffrey struggle. I'd rather see sons not constantly be 100% loyal to their father kings.

In KoH... I do not see the individual provinces as being individual kingdoms. They seem to be more along the lines that cities in Civilization were. Part of one central kingdom, and could be put under governor rule... but never independant from central kingdom until they revolted.

Elewyn
22-06-2004, 21:09
read about vassal states in other threads. I don't have time now to explain it to you (and don't know ecverything)it's kinda subjectivity, with taxes to feudal lord.

This Idea was for cases when you wanna create your kingdom in times it didn't exist (not in Turylon's case, you can't create USA in Europe) You control f.e. provinces of: Portugal(conquered), Asturia and Leon(both original kgdm of Asturia). But you want to play for Portugal, but can't rename your actual kingdom. So you divide it between sons, one gets Portugal and Asturia as kingdom of Portgal, and you'll play this kingdom(you want to play Portugal). The second, Leon, will be vassal of Portugal, controlled by AI. Yes, you'll lose one province for vassal state, but you will play for Portugal. That's it.

You are player and I think that having as many free choices, how to manage and govern your kingdom, as possible can make the game better. Of course, you can still have the one kingdom. This option is not necessarilly against the goal, you can profit from it by diplomacy, by forcing your vassal to marry some princess and have "free hands" to marry your king to stronger kingdom (just an example).

Finellach
22-06-2004, 22:54
Originally posted by Elewyn
I add one more question. I don't think that it's necessary to be able (f.e. after conquering Low countries as king of France) to create the kingdoms you want (in this example the possible way is to rename your whole kingdom - including France - to Holland

Yes thats what I was saying.

Originally posted by Elewyn
My question is, can we divide our kingdom between sons? F.e. I have conquered France and Britain and I have 2 sons. Britain is in strong oposition to English rule so I divide the kingdom between sons and 2 kingdoms emerge.

Thats excatly what I wanted to know as well. I believe I asked the same question some time ago. If I have a son and I want to make him my vassal and to grant him some land not to displease him then why I wouldn't be able to give him some "minor" kingdom like for example Kingdom of the Netherlands. :)

Ben Nevis
22-06-2004, 23:44
small but mighty ;)

azores
23-06-2004, 01:07
thanks againa Elewyn ur like a living encyclopidia :) than that means that if i start the grand campaign in 2nd and 3rd period i can start directly with portugal as my kingdom right ???????????????????????