PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Swordmen vs. Men at Arms (???)

Pages : [1] 2

Drake Maethor
26-06-2004, 08:42
OK! The question that everybody asked to him/herself this Friday!

Heavy swordmen vs. Men at arms...
What's the difference?!

When you look at the heavy swordmen you guess that they are a better version of the normal swordmen. But when you read the men at arms description you find: "Advanced version of regular swordsmen." :p

Also when you read about the HS you find out that he has a chainmail armor, and about the MaA it says that he has a shield and helmet...
So you may think... OK, the HS is better armored than the MaA, but the MaA has a better shield! :confused:
And seems to have a better armor! However it says nothing about his armor! :rolleyes:

So? What's the deal? :rolleyes: I guess the MaA is the third version of the normal swordmen, and so better armored than the HS, and that they will update his description in the following weeks.
Am I right? :wacko:

Henrik
26-06-2004, 09:24
The only thing i can say to that one is that you'll also have to consider that not every type of unit is available everywhere i.e one unit's carateristic can be the same as another unit, but they are from different part of Europe, so the only difference is that they are called something different :)

Drake Maethor
26-06-2004, 09:36
HS are 'widely spread across Europe'.
And MaA are available in 'West and East Europe, but mostly in West Europe'.

Henrik
26-06-2004, 10:44
Originally posted by Drake Maethor
HS are 'widely spread across Europe'.
And MaA are available in 'West and East Europe, but mostly in West Europe'.

hmmmm :scratch:........ okay ! - as i see it heavy swordsmen ougt to be better than Men at Arms i.e better trained, but they way you decribe it, it looks like there is a potential problem here :eek:

Drake Maethor
26-06-2004, 12:00
I think MaA are better HS! :p

Finellach
26-06-2004, 16:44
I must admit I don't see the difference actually. IMO it would be better if Heavy Swordsmen takes the place of Men-at-Arms and the current MAA just goes away. :D

Frujin
27-06-2004, 09:39
Heavy swordsman are a bit faster than man-at-arms, which on other hand, has better armor.

Also, they are not all available usually in the same province. Man-at-arms is more West Erupean, while HS is more common.

Also, their price differs a bit.

Elewyn
27-06-2004, 09:54
thanks, It's good to see you here again, lord Frujin :cheers: :cheers: It means you can breath freely and have some free time again. It's good that you're not so busy any longer :)

PS: Finellach, do you change your "signature: every day? :D

Henrik
27-06-2004, 09:55
Originally posted by Frujin
Heavy swordsman are a bit faster than man-at-arms, which on other hand, has better armor.

Also, they are not all available usually in the same province. Man-at-arms is more West Erupean, while HS is more common.

Also, their price differs a bit.

well, Frujin shouldn't it be the other way around ! i.e. i was under the impression that Men-at-Arms simply was a militia made up from citizens - while Heavy Swordsmen was better equipt both in term of weapons and armor !

Drake Maethor
27-06-2004, 10:14
Many thanks Frujin! :cheers:

But mmm I think like Henry, the other way round seems better... :p

Heavy Swordmen the better armored guy, now as MaA.
And Man at arms, the chainmail guy, now as HS.

Frujin
27-06-2004, 13:56
Can you guess how easy is for now change that? Matter of few minutes ;)

Finellach
27-06-2004, 18:29
Originally posted by Elewyn
PS: Finellach, do you change your "signature: every day? :D

Why not? It's boring to have the same sig all the time. You can also notice that I change my portrait as well. I get bored for some time and so I need a change. ;)

HappyAdolf
27-06-2004, 18:37
Your new portrait is much cooler!
P.S.:
Do you change your beard and hairstyle in reality every week, too? And maybe your life-motto, too?:D

Finellach
27-06-2004, 22:12
Well not every week, but you could say I tried almost everything with my hair and beard. :D :p

Currently I am bald. :p

HappyAdolf
28-06-2004, 15:12
You could try to style your hair and beard like your current avatar:D :D;) ;)

Elewyn
28-06-2004, 15:13
i would guess heavy swordsmen little more armoured, but man at arms little stronger in attack and moral. just an idea

HappyAdolf
28-06-2004, 15:15
Hmm... this brings me to an idea. Why not open a topic about morale? There will surly be many things affecting the morale.

Henrik
28-06-2004, 16:04
I think the devs already has finished this by now - however it might end up being implemented in KoH2

Drake Maethor
28-06-2004, 23:41
Originally posted by Frujin
Can you guess how easy is for now change that? Matter of few minutes ;)

mmm yes I think I can guess:
Easy as changuing two little strings in the classes code... :rolleyes:
And replacing some words in the documentation... But what are word processing applications for? :p

Or am I wrong and was sarcasm intended? and in fact it would take much more than a couple of minutes? :confused:

Henrik
29-06-2004, 01:24
Originally posted by Drake Maethor
mmm yes I think I can guess:
Easy as changuing two little strings in the classes code... :rolleyes:
And replacing some words in the documentation... But what are word processing applications for? :p

Or am I wrong and was sarcasm intended? and in fact it would take much more than a couple of minutes? :confused:

No, i don't think Frujin was being sarcastic - i think all the unit's data lies in a colum just like a speadsheet sorta like this:

Unit X

Attack: 100
Armor: 100

Attack against infantry:
Heavy swordsmen +5
Men at Arms +0

Defence against Infantry
Heavy swordsmen -2
Men at Arms +3

Then, when two units starts to fight a "dice" is being rolled - this is also how they dertermin who the winner and whos the loser in D&D games like Baldur's gate. You can insert as many parameters as you whish - the more you put in, the more advanced it's gonna get like foreksample if the unit stands on a hill and fires an arrow then it may recieve a bonus in range etc.

I think this is the way the whole thing works - if i'm wrong then Frujin might correct me ;)