PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Questions

orpheus
18-01-2007, 11:48
Hi everyone,

I received this game last night after ordering directly from Paradox - thanks for the swift delivery.

I have a couple of questions:

- What is the preferred build order when beginning? For example, I started last night in the early era with Leinster. I fired my initial marshall, and got my king and his 2 sons as merchants. What should I concentrate building? Last night I selected to upgrade all 'economic' type buidlings, gaining a trade good, but does this increase my money?

- How do you know that time is passing in the game? I mean to say, what constitutes a turn? I am a long time RTW and MTW player, can anyone please tell me how KOH handles this aspect?

- It seems to take such a long time for buildings to finish. Is there a way to speed up the action somewhat, without missing anything? Please note I play on a laptop, so may not have the full array of keys on the keyboard.

- How do experienced players keep up to date wiht all the goings on around them in other kingdoms? Lat night I invaded Munster to do some pillaging, but then noticed that York, Ulster and East Anglia all had armies in the province doing the same thing!

- Books - how do you get these things? Do you need a church? How long does it take to accumulate them? You seem to need an awful lot to do such things as adopt population with cleric, and also to train anyone?

- How long typically, should you wait before beginning your expansion? I see the joy in this game of choosing a one-province minnow and going on to be ruler of Europe, so how much building up is typical?

- Is there an easy way to view the ages and marrigable offspring of all rulers, other than individually selecting the province from the political map, and going through to request a royal wedding?

Sorry for all the questions, but any answers would be appreciated. I believe I will enjoy this game quite a bit.
Thanks

Nogales
18-01-2007, 13:14
At first welcome to the KoH-Board orpheus!

I will try to answer your questions ...

1. actually i start with the "cheap" buildings, as citygarrison, granary, taverne a.s.o., going over to build bowyer and swordsmith a.s.a.p. ... if you do an mouseover at the unitslots in your city you will see wich units you will be able to recruit and what buildings are necessary ... i go over to the economic buildings, when i am able to recruit at least swordmen and bowmen. And yes, the economic buildings will increase your income of the city and even this of your merchants trading with other countries.

2. there is no time actually in KoH ... just the ticks when you will get your money, books and piety ...

3. of course there is a way, or different ways to do so: first with buildings as taverne, axesmith, toolmaker, stable a.s.o., just make mouseover and it will show you a description of the buildings. An other possibility is to recruit an masterbuilder. But the most effective way is the kingdomadvantage bourgeoisie (dont know the proper name in english :scratch: )
All the things will increase the hammers in your city, wich means the people you need to build an recruit.

4. just go to the political overview and have a look ... i often use pause ingame to plan there new strategies etc.

5. yes a church will give you a bookincome by one per tick, the more churches, the more books ...
later in the game you may build a university, wich will increase the books massive ... plus kingdomadvantage "age of enlightenment" (?) and you will get plenty of them ...
Or a Cleric as governor will also write books, depending at his level ...

6. starting with small countries (1-3 provinces) is always a good choice ...
you should know by your own when "your time is come"! :knight:

7. no, there is no other way, just go to the political overview again and you will see the countries have icons for princes or princesses marrigable ...

Hope i was able to help you a bit ... :wink:

orpheus
18-01-2007, 13:44
Thank you very much Nogales.

I see there is quite a bit of this game that I have yet to discover, such as the diplomatic and spying side, but right now I am just concentrating on uniting Ireland!

OK, one final question - where do you spend most of your time in-game? Is it the strageic or the political view? I can see myself sitting for ages in the political trying to weave alliances etc.

Thank you.

knez
18-01-2007, 23:20
dude, play the tutorial, and then just go and play the game
there is nothing as good like when you discover something new....

Nikla
19-01-2007, 10:58
Hi everyone,

I received this game last night after ordering directly from Paradox - thanks for the swift delivery.

I have a couple of questions:

- What is the preferred build order when beginning? For example, I started last night in the early era with Leinster. I fired my initial marshall, and got my king and his 2 sons as merchants. What should I concentrate building? Last night I selected to upgrade all 'economic' type buidlings, gaining a trade good, but does this increase my money?

- How do you know that time is passing in the game? I mean to say, what constitutes a turn? I am a long time RTW and MTW player, can anyone please tell me how KOH handles this aspect?

- It seems to take such a long time for buildings to finish. Is there a way to speed up the action somewhat, without missing anything? Please note I play on a laptop, so may not have the full array of keys on the keyboard.

- How do experienced players keep up to date wiht all the goings on around them in other kingdoms? Lat night I invaded Munster to do some pillaging, but then noticed that York, Ulster and East Anglia all had armies in the province doing the same thing!

- Books - how do you get these things? Do you need a church? How long does it take to accumulate them? You seem to need an awful lot to do such things as adopt population with cleric, and also to train anyone?

- How long typically, should you wait before beginning your expansion? I see the joy in this game of choosing a one-province minnow and going on to be ruler of Europe, so how much building up is typical?

- Is there an easy way to view the ages and marrigable offspring of all rulers, other than individually selecting the province from the political map, and going through to request a royal wedding?

Sorry for all the questions, but any answers would be appreciated. I believe I will enjoy this game quite a bit.
Thanks

Your money increases every 7 seconds at the click!
Go first to your Royal family icon find out who from your king and your princes if any has good Economic ratings. Then jump to polical view - kingdom rankings - you will find the highest ranking economic countries - try to forge a trade agreement with two or three of them, usually Fatimids, Byzantium (depending on the time period you started in), or Germany. Italy, France, Muscovy are usually next in line. Regardless you get more from trading with that nation when you are on good (green colored) terms with them. Not going to happen starting out. This sets up your finacial base.
When building, it depends on the resource capabilities of our province. The natural resources of your province are the 0-3 pictured icons on the top of your building screen. When you click to build a structure click on the castle tab to find what 3rd level buildings you are capable of later on. Anything colored but shaded you can produce later, if gray you cannot.

For generating books it is in this sequence: hemp field, parchment maker, library- upgrade libary to unversity. You can only upgrade from library if you have a scribes office.

Be careful at first to enter yourself into alliances - they will in turn obligate you into their wars to which if you refuse it will cost you kingdom power when you opt out. Kingdom power is the most important in all stages of the game.

To answer your question on royal weddings go to political view then select the second icon on the list, click on your country, you will see on the other nations either a tiara or a crown this notes that an eiligable prince or princess is available.

For all basic questions go to political view then on top right tab there is agreen question mark it will explain everything.

Lord_Nick
19-01-2007, 18:50
Build order depends on strengths/weaknesses of a particular province. If you don't have enough workers, build/upgrade buildings that give you more workers (Hostel, Inn, etc). If you need Food, Gold, Books, Piety, Happiness, particular troops, make those particular upgrades.

When you first start playing, try to decide what each province's function will be: economic, military, etc. Which buildings will you build in each slot to fulfill that function? Make a list of them.

Initially you will want buildings that provide Workers, to reduce your overall build times. You will also want buildings that provide Happiness (to reduce likelihood of rebellions) and Gold (to finance more construction).

It might make sense to build an Axemaker (+1 worker), Stable (+2) workers, and/or Stud Farm (+1 worker) to increase your construction rate and then delete and replace them with other buildings later.

Hit F11 to see the game clock ... 3 minutes of game time = 1 year of real time. 1 hour game time = 20 years real time. Every 5 seconds is a game tick.

You can use *, +, -, and PAUSE to the control the game speed or you can crash build the construction of the building.

Before invading someone, look at who they are at war with and who they are friends/trading partners/allies with, as well as read the notes that pop up and the Rumours.

Use a Cleric/Patriarch, Church/Cathedral, Library/University to produce books. Books are produced every game tick (5 seconds). So with 1 book/game tick, it will take you 5,000 seconds to produce 1,000 books. 5,000 seconds = 1 hr, 23 min, 20 seconds of game time.

That's totally up to you, and the opportunities that are presented to you.

Click on Relationship View and look for the male/female crowns, which represent marrigable offspring.

Angryminer
19-01-2007, 19:04
1. In the very beginning it's good to build anything. Every three buildings the town gains size and can accomodate more people, generating more money and workers. After the initial stage you'll want to decide wether the town should serve military or economic purposes and then concentrate on one of those paths.
2. The military of KoH works in realtime. The economy works in 'ticks', which only last a few seconds before the next one begins. So just take it all as continuous time.
3. I spend most of my time in the political screen. That way I can check the status of many of my provinces in very little time, I can check up on other nations and check their relations to other kingdoms and can plot my evil masterplan to world-domination :dwink: .
4. Expansion begins when there is the opportunity. Is there a low developed neighboring province? Do you want to make friends with someone who is at war with your neighbour? Is your neighbour being invaded by someone you don't want to posess that certain province? Are you militarily and economically capable of overwhelming any of your neighbours?

I hope that helps. :go:

Angryminer

orpheus
22-01-2007, 10:41
Thanks for your comments everyone.

I spent all night last night playing, started again with Highlands, reunited Scotland, took Ireland and rest of British Isles, as well as all northern france and spain.

This game is awesome. I love the diplomatic side of things, and using spies to turn things my way. A cleric is a must for adopting provinces and keeping down rebellion risk. I am the biggest kingdom, with 2 'united' vassals.

One thing I did note, was when I had 3 vassals, I granted independance to one of them. My kingdom power dropped, but I also rose to highest in most liked kingdoms.

Cheers
O