PDA

View Full Version : Naval?

Pages : [1] 2 3

King Yngvar
02-07-2004, 07:55
We have naval battles but they are rather simple. Two ships meet in World View and fight. One survives another doesn't. But you doesn't do play naval battles in the close view. Naval battles in medieval were not that important.

What about longships and boarding battles? They surely decided the faiths of the Scandinavian kingdoms. Was there no great sea battles in the Mediterranean? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was...

Angryminer
02-07-2004, 13:15
1. We have the landings-scenarios at the beaches.
2. What's so complicated about setting the enemy on fire with your fire-arrows until one side is completely sunk?

Angryminer

Jarlabanke
02-07-2004, 13:23
Boarding, manuvering etc etc
Using firearrows in a naval battle would be rather time consuming and hard if you think about it.

hawk_knight
02-07-2004, 14:20
Boarding, manuvering etc etc
Using firearrows in a naval battle would be rather time consuming and hard if you think about it.

agree yes it his hard to fight a sea battle and it is time consuming

geno604
02-07-2004, 20:14
How do you decide who wins the naval battle, is it rock paper scissors?

Frank Fay
02-07-2004, 20:32
mainly yes but also marshal skills and morale are important

azores
03-07-2004, 16:25
No guys Frank is right naval battles in the medivial were not so important, maybe if we wait for a sequal and this would be on the following era right after the meidviial era than we would be playing naval spectacular battles :)

King Yngvar
06-07-2004, 10:42
Maybe not in some places of Europe, but in coastal nations, at least Scandinavia, naval battles were important. It would not be too time consuming, it would be fun. Just imagine a mass of longships moving towards eachother, firing arrows on their way, until they meet. Then the ships connect and the warriors run into the enemy vessels, cleaning them off and capturing them. What would be boring with that?

Angryminer
06-07-2004, 14:32
The tactic is clear. Firing arrows until the ships hit and then fight man-vs-man.
So what's so complicated about that too need a king's attention?
Remember: Time is the resource you need most in this game.

Angryminer

King Yngvar
07-07-2004, 03:51
I was just told that battles are loaded? So there is no real time after all, then at least let us see the naval battles. And the tactic isnt completely clear. It is also about where you lay your ships, and how good to fight your warriors are.

Sir Turylon
07-07-2004, 04:29
hmm.. I never heard of any major naval encounters during this time...mainly just small raiding parties.

Largefry07
07-07-2004, 15:37
The only naval vessals that were important at the time were transport ships to carry troops to a island or a far away battlefield.

Sir Turylon
07-07-2004, 19:45
The only naval vessals that were important at the time were transport ships to carry troops to a island or a far away battlefield.

not true. There were large merchant fleets, and i believe the Italian States controled the waterways for a long time. If only Elewyn would post some knowledge on this. :hello: :hello:

Lord_Guilherme
08-07-2004, 18:33
They were important in late medieval age, after the crusades. But naval battle is so boring that I would prefer them away from the game. At least when controlling the sea means victory. The naval battles here will be only to destroy enemy transport ship I think.

Finellach
08-07-2004, 18:42
Yes Italian stats mainly Genoa and Venice and at some period Toscana. Toscana was later crushed by the suprior Genonese fleet. Venice and Genoa were then in conflict over the trade routes and their fleets often clashed, but these naval battles were unlike anything we've seen in later periods with the appearance of the gunpowder not to mention these battles didn't had such impact on the overall balance of power.

King Yngvar
11-07-2004, 13:59
That was in the late middle ages, but in Scandinavia, naval battles existed since the 800's (maybe even 700's).

Finellach
11-07-2004, 16:56
Naval battles existed long before that(Rome, Greece, Fenicia, etc..). And as I said they weren't even close that interesting as battles in later ages.

Sir Turylon
12-07-2004, 02:17
Naval battles existed long before that(Rome, Greece, Fenicia, etc..). And as I said they weren't even close that interesting as battles in later ages.

agreed

In my own personal opinion.. only a few naval engagements would qualify as worthy of remeberance from before 1400s. Salamis and the one where Roman navy was crushed by Carthage. :) all others were just.. two ships steer towards each other.. "I'm going to pluck your eyes out!" "No you won't.. I will stomp on your foot" "ahhhhh!" "ahhhhh!" couple hours later... battle is over... and each ship goes back home to drink ale... *yawn*

Finellach
12-07-2004, 03:34
Hahaha...I like your description of the battle. :go:

azores
12-07-2004, 03:46
no naval battles in mediivial i like that, naval battles were very important in later ages.