PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Expansion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Roobarb
03-07-2004, 13:03
I have mentioned this in the 'Royal Inn' but thought it deserved it's own thread here:

I believe that a good idea for an expansion, or even a sequel, would be to bring a fantasy feel to the game. Mythical creatures/armies along with a new map would make the game a lot more long addictive longterm. Does anyone else agree?

I am thinking Undead, Greenskins, Elves etc. Sort of Knights of Honor meets Middle Earth/Games Workshop kind of thing. I believe the KOH engine would do a very good job, especially as each army would have it's own ecology/strucutre.

Frank Fay
03-07-2004, 13:20
thanks for your suggestion but it is too early to discuss...KoH isnt finished yet. However, be sure that the forum is the first please to learn more about the future plans...but for now, we cannot commit nor comment...

Angryminer
03-07-2004, 16:17
"Knights of Honor meets Mittle Earth" is already on the way:
"Battle for MiddleEarth"
Anyway, I don't like fantasy in strategy games.

Angryminer

Largefry07
03-07-2004, 16:23
"Battle for MiddleEarth"

Angryminer

I don't know? Fantasy can make for a good plot to the game if there was a campaign. If the dev. do make a fantasy ex-pack I would like for them to inclued all of the animals of the Loin the witch and the wardrobe series of books by C.S. Lewis. He has gaints, drawfs, unicrones, and many other creatures. But maybe the whole fantasy part of the game could be in a different game b/c a lot of people don't like the idea and I would hate for them to get jipped out of an ex-pack, if there is one.

d'Honaire
03-07-2004, 21:53
Not a good idea. KOH is a strategy game based off of medieval times not fantasy. Also, if you add a fantasy element, I feel that it would become another crappy wanna be strategy game..Warlords Battlecry.

HappyAdolf
03-07-2004, 23:01
KoH2 as a Fantasy-game
Vote in the German offtopic-forum at the thread "welches Szenario sür KoH2"!!!
There you can vote for fantasy as the scenario for KoH2.

Sir Turylon
04-07-2004, 03:32
mmm

Elves of Honor
Dwarves of Honor.
Orcs of Dishonor

@ CS Lewis and his series... Well, of course. He knew JRR. and he based his own series on some things from the LOTR world. :)

Finellach
04-07-2004, 04:31
CS Lewis wrote books and stories for little children.

Sir Turylon
04-07-2004, 07:56
CS Lewis wrote books and stories for little children.

um. yes.. I know. I have his series. I also know that he was a good friend of JRR Tolkien. JRR had a very profound effect on CS Lewis.

Drake Maethor
04-07-2004, 10:27
Yes, they were very good friends.
CS embraced christianity in part because of his chats with JRR. And CS death affected JRR.
Also did you know that Tolkien based the Treebeard's speaking way in CS' own speaking way? :p

Finellach
04-07-2004, 14:32
Yes I know Lewis and Tolkien were very good friends. As an old "tolkien fanatic" that is. :D
The thing is I don't think his books are good material for a game. They are far to childlish. Thats why I said that his books are for children mostly. ;)

timurlenk
04-07-2004, 16:26
back to topic:
there are tomuch fantasy games out there.
i dont need one more - i want "reality" backgrounds!

Roobarb
05-07-2004, 13:54
timurlenk: back to topic:
there are tomuch fantasy games out there.
i dont need one more - i want "reality" backgrounds!
d'Honaire: Not a good idea. KOH is a strategy game based off of medieval times not fantasy. Also, if you add a fantasy element, I feel that it would become another crappy wanna be strategy game..Warlords Battlecry.

This, I think, is the very reason for KOH to move to fantasy. The engine that KOH is built on looks great! :cheers: Coupled with the imagination of fantasy writers I think you would have an epic RTS game that set the benchmark for future games in the same genre. :hello:

I am suggesting this only because I am a fan of RTS games set in the fantasy arena. I think it would be a very addictive game.

Angryminer
05-07-2004, 16:04
That's a question of taste.
I, as an example, wouldn't play KoH if it had fantasy-elements in it. It would suddenly turn into 'just another wanna-be-strategy-game' in my eyes.

Angryminer

Roobarb
05-07-2004, 18:58
If it was an expansion kit though you would get the option of using it.

Bora
05-07-2004, 19:15
"Battle for MiddleEarth"

Angryminer

ypu are pretty wrong. Battle for Middle Earth is made different. ita more conzentradet on battles then KoH. and the only stratgie thing you have is tha worldmap between the battles. you have no diplomacy (can not imagine an orcish diplomat) and no spionage. and no economy.

but i think a fanatsy addon would change the feeling of theg ame complete. then you can call it maybe "wizards of honor" but truely an option for the hardcore fanatsy fans. but i think that would be more a fanproject. so ltes hope for our moders that the game wil be easy to mod.

and angryminer: as strategygame keeps beeing a startegy game even if its in a fantasy world. if its good or not it has to do with the gameplay and the features not with the backgound story. the story and the background are just matter of taste and no messurement to say if the strategypart is good or not ;)

Sir Turylon
05-07-2004, 19:50
that is very true. most fantasy RTS games just go as deep as the combat. not all though.

It would be nice to see an "empire building game" based on some fantasy world... but..... would it sell? perhaps not. Who wants to deal with the diplomacy between Dwarves and Elves!!!!!! lol....

@Finny.
The thing is I don't think his books are good material for a game. They are far to childlish. Thats why I said that his books are for children mostly

They are making the books into movies. :) First one comes out next year I think.
The movie (http://www.narnia.com/movie/index.htm)

Largefry07
05-07-2004, 21:08
2005 x-mas. They are makeing 5 of the 7 books into movies, and are filming them in New Zeland.

Beside the creature aren't childish. Tell me when was the last time you've heard of a gaint do a childish thing?

Angryminer
05-07-2004, 21:10
The last time I read Oscar Wilde.
Just a week ago.

Angryminer

the knightly sword
05-07-2004, 23:12
i agree with you finellech its not material for games so childish cs.lewis made books for children and they dont fit in games .i remeber ween i was 10-11 wen i read them.i would rather play boring sims then a game based on cs.lewis books