PDA

View Full Version : Manual PDF, or Guide For Newbies, or something?

Kris Rhodes
30-01-2007, 09:33
I just got this game from gamersgate. It looks like a great game, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Is there a downloadable version of the manual? Or a good guide for new players?

Specifically, some of the problems I am having are these:

I do not know how to make my economy grow. I have tried playing as Normandy and as Wales in the 1000AD Map. In both cases, I start out losing money each month, and in both cases, I don't see a way to make that a positive change in money instead of a negative one. Probably these are not the easiest countries to play with, but they're not literally impossible to play with, are they? If not, then how is it that one can make money with them? As it is, if I want to build an army at all, I do not end up with enough money to build even a single building, and never do get enough money to do so, because I always lose money every month.

I do not understand the significance of royal marriages. Who should I marry to whom, and why?

I want to know what I should know about the AI's diplomacy. Does it honor alliances? Does its attitude toward me change rationally, or randomly? Etc.

How can I change the speed of the game? Everything is so slow...

Can I do anything with the rural areas?

During battles, does terrain matter? Flanking? Is there a distinction between cavalry and foot soldiers otehr than the graphics and movement speed?

Are there any reasons I shouldn't use all my royal family, including my king, as "knights" in my royal court?

-Kris

LordSlayer
30-01-2007, 11:55
Hello, Kris.

Try this thread first:

http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?t=14807

then theres a guide at GameFaqs

Also:

http://www.vojska.net/eng/games/knights-of-honor/guide/

Someone here will help with specific questios, but those resources can give you an overview.

The game is more than a little overwhelming. Basically and simplistically, it revolves around those Knight slots at the top. Making money can be done through trade with a Merchant/knight or (I guess) through conquest-I haven t tried the latter. Its a slowish game, but as far as I can gather depends on how you play.

In the game itself, bottom left next to the menu there is a Royal Library which can answer some of your questions.

Other than that I hope someone much better than I am can help you out here.

Hope that helps a bit.

All the best.

Dobber
30-01-2007, 12:46
To speed up the game, press the + key it will double the speed with each press until you reach 8x speed.

mammix
30-01-2007, 13:43
Dobber, when you click "*" you reach 10x ;P

kevcole33
30-01-2007, 15:25
one of the weak points of this game is the manual. thank goodness for the forum here.

as i play there are a bunch of things that come to mind....

it would be nice to know the benefit of having vikings or normans instead of men at arms.

is my builder actually speeding up the process of the construction? it still takes a while, can't seem to notice any difference. if he gets educated is there a significant difference?

do i really need to upgrade my pallisade to castle walls? where are the total seige attrition rates for armies and fortifications?

this game is big, so if all the details were written down it would be a hefty tome. i don't expect answers but these are just things i notice while paying.

Dobber
30-01-2007, 17:33
Dobber, when you click "*" you reach 10x ;P

Yeah, I knew that, but 10x To me is a little to fast and I didn't want to confuse things. Plus with that one you have only 2 options 1x or 10x, with the + and -, you have 1x, 2x, 4x, or 8x.

kwallace
08-05-2007, 07:29
Guys is speeding the game up on a laptop different than a normal computer? I tried pressing the + & - on the laptop and it dies nothing :(

Dobber
08-05-2007, 12:31
I have no idea which keys of a laptop are assigned those game controls! Sorry!

Doux
08-05-2007, 16:57
Guys is speeding the game up on a laptop different than a normal computer? I tried pressing the + & - on the laptop and it dies nothing :(I doubt it that your laptop has a numpad.. maybe you can change the keys?

Lord_Nick
08-05-2007, 18:40
Most laptops have a num pad that can be accessed by hitting the Fn key .. it should be close to the CTRL and ALT buttons. The num pad might be visible in another colour on the right hand side of your alpha-keyboard.

In my case, I'd hit Fn+; for + and Fn+P for - and Fn+0 for *

I usually played at 10 speed .. and when I need to decide something I hit PAUSE. If and when I lead a battle, I slow it down as much as possible.

Vikings + Normans vs Men at Arms ... I believe Viking and Normans have a morale bonus ... someone created a document comparing each unit. You can also read the difference in the Royal Library.

Your rate of construction depends on how many workers you have. So your initial goal is to build buildings that give you more workers (Inn, Hostel, etc) Your Builder gives you one more worker and each star gives you an additional work. Try it .. assign your King to be the Builder in a province ... watch the worker count increase and construction time decrease. If a province is low on workers .. this can be a huge difference.

You need Castle Walls to build the advanced siege fortifications. Stats for each building is listed when you mouse over the building. Without advanced walls, your defenders will be at a disadvantage against highly skilled attackers.

If you're losing money at the start ... you have a few options: Fire your Marshall ... hire merchants and trade ... increase your Kingdom Power .. increase taxes ... if at war, collect the War Tax (but be prepared for Revolt) .. build buildings that give you greater income ... go plunder an enemy province.