PDA

View Full Version : We need to document this game.

Kris Rhodes
31-01-2007, 06:43
There needs to be some kind of organized documentation of this game. A strategy guide, or intro for newbies, or whatever.

There is a FAQ at gamefaqs, but it is incomplete, and I'm not sure all the info on it is correct. It is also not clear, sometimes, what it is trying to tell us. (For example: Do Kings really not make children while they are assigned to the court, or was the author of the FAQ making a joke? Hard to tell, from the way s/he wrote it.)

I just discovered, the hard way, that if I try to press a claim from a royal marriage, the country in question gets to refuse if they want, and then my kingdom power goes waaaay down, and when my kingdom power is waaaay down, apparently, I can be excommunicated, and everyone gets to go to war against me.

I'd like to not have to learn everything "the hard way" like this.

And I'm still left with questions about this issue. Do they refuse my claim based on relative strenghts of our countries? Diplomatic attitude? Both? Neither? Should I only make royal marriages with people who are weaker than myself?

There's all kinds of stuff in this game that needs explanation. I don't have the time (or the organizational skills) to write something up myself. But perhaps we can make a thread for contributions to such an effort?

I know there's a "tips" sticky above, but it's not doing what I'm talking about in this post. I'm not talking about tips, I'm talking about explanations of game mechanics.

-Kris

FrankishHero
31-01-2007, 06:56
Seems like a good idea, Kris. :go:

I wouldn't mind being involved in some of the writing. I'm not claiming I'm an expert, though...

Dobber
31-01-2007, 07:25
There is just one problem with doing that at the moment, the mechanics have changed with the new patch! The AI acts differently now than it used to when we all learned the hard way! So we are learning the hard way again ourselves! :biggrin:

Lord_Nick
31-01-2007, 07:33
I think a lot of that info already exists ... you can find it either in the manual, in the Royal Library, or by searching the ~2,500 threads in this forum.

With some of the stuff, there is no straight answer because we either don't the details behind the game mechanics, or the results are probabilistic.

Our gameplay will also have to change with this new patch, but I think most of the info we have on here will stay the same.

It would be nice if all the info was organized in a wiki or a fan site, but none of the fan sites have really taken off so far, at least from what I've seen.

Kris Rhodes
31-01-2007, 07:36
I think a lot of that info already exists ... you can find it either in the manual, in the Royal Library, or by searching the ~2,500 threads in this forum.

Yes, much of the info already exists (though much does not, at least as far as my searching skills are getting me). But the problem is, the info is not organized well at the moment. (And I and others who downloaded the game from gamersgate can not get a copy of the manual!)

It would be nice if all the info was organized in a wiki or a fan site, but none of the fan sites have really taken off so far, at least from what I've seen.

That's too bad. Maybe with the new patch, some enthusiasm will be raised? Maybe?

-Kris

LordSlayer
31-01-2007, 17:27
Id second, third and fourth you , Kris.

This game is way too good not to have a comprehensive guide-the mechainics are fascinating.

Webmaster
31-01-2007, 18:06
there was once a wiki. but it's offline

Doux
31-01-2007, 21:53
there was once a wiki. but it's offlineDo you imply that the Wiki can be restored?

Webmaster
02-02-2007, 10:22
it wasn't a project from SF. so if the people behind still have a database dump it's possible. it was founded here in the board.