PDA

View Full Version : On Characters

Moorkh
13-11-2003, 07:28
As far as I understand the concept, nobles (and knights, too?) in the game are handled as individual characters that have have some allegiance to a souvereign (or to another noble) and a number of titles or fiefs.
Does that mean they are some kind of npc with role-playing style stats and abilities (leadership, charisma, combat prowess, tactical genius)? Do they develop over time so it becomes interesting to keep them around as long as possible? Also, can/do you need to interact with them in some way? Do you need to invite them to tourneys to keep them impressed with you?

Also, as I've asked before, could you give us some information on how a noble can die (age, battle, assassination) and what happens after his death? Can you send your king on a suicide mission if his son and heir has better stats?

embro
19-11-2003, 10:21
about the death of the knight: as you know the nobles (the knights) support your army's morale high. so if he dies then the morale of your army will start going down and then you must hire a new knight. it will be interesting if your army is far away of your nearest castle and you lose your knight. so what will happen with your army? it will be disband or just there morale level will be low? otherwise army without knight is walking frags :)

Moorkh
19-11-2003, 20:03
I really hope you will not have to hire knights but appoint them instead or raise them from the common masses. And maybe knights will have cousins or sons who will inherit the title, providing you with possibly inept leaders you will have to get rid of.

embro
20-11-2003, 10:30
you will have to hire them because they are nobles and as nobles they have military skills and of course are part of some noble clans. the ordinary villagers become just workers and soldiers and thats their desitiny in the medieval europe :)

Frank Fay
20-11-2003, 11:13
I really hope you will not have to hire knights but appoint them instead or raise them from the common masses.

Knights are not raised from the masses. The player grants land to a Knight and chooses from the available nobility, which changes during the course of the game. If you get bigger, forein Knights will offer their service to you as well. Maybe very special Knights with very special Skills too :)

Jeremiah
23-11-2003, 17:19
if your lucky the mighty Frujin will offer you his services :D

Elewyn
23-11-2003, 21:14
Originally posted by Frank Fay
Knights are not raised from the masses. The player grants land to a Knight and chooses from the available nobility, which changes during the course of the game. If you get bigger, forein Knights will offer their service to you as well. Maybe very special Knights with very special Skills too :) But they can also be an enemy's spies:D

Arjenvs
24-11-2003, 00:58
Originally posted by Elewyn
But they can also be an enemy's spies:D

That would be great!!! Can it be?...donīt think so....still a nice idea...

Jerome
24-11-2003, 10:22
spies do seem to have a significant role in this game,

it would probably take a spy to discover one...

things would be really ugly if one of your trusted knights turned out to be a spy... :(

nevertheless, it would add to the excitement of the game..;)

Arjenvs
25-11-2003, 10:53
Originally posted by Jerome
nevertheless, it would add to the excitement of the game..;)

:cheers:

Richard Plantagenet
26-11-2003, 06:42
Originally posted by Frank Fay
Knights are not raised from the masses. The player grants land to a Knight and chooses from the available nobility, which changes during the course of the game. If you get bigger, forein Knights will offer their service to you as well. Maybe very special Knights with very special Skills too :)

Totally agreed there Frank!

Nobility is something of a family history and never be gained within a couple of generations. Best hope to gain nobility is for a rich commoner to marry his daughter to a poor knight and hopefully his grandson will have a chance to service a great lord and gain some land.

I doubt nobles can / will act as spies, as they have too much at risk to act as a simple spy. They could be double dealing on their leige lord, but to view them as a simple instrument of deceit will be incorrect, Rather, I see nobles as a source of deceit / unrest.

:)

Dark Lord Baloch
02-12-2003, 07:16
Is there a limit to the Game play time wise? I hope not. Its only because I like to conqueor my enimies slowly sometimes by harrassing them, or making them weak to pay tribute. is there plenty of time to Conqueror the whole map? That was meievils flaw. They made the game to realistic, and therefore to short for some of us frank? heck makes me feel like making my own videogame. :mad: :angry: :mad: Oh what the heck let me drown it out me memory with a good ole pint of ale.:cheers:

Dark Lord Baloch
02-12-2003, 07:20
How goes it Great lord Richard of the house of Plantegenet ( I study my history). I see the resemblance.

Elewyn
02-12-2003, 07:50
I think, there's no time limit (already answered somewhere else)

Arjenvs
02-12-2003, 13:24
Originally posted by Elewyn
I think, there's no time limit (already answered somewhere else)

Yes no time limit!

Richard Plantagenet
02-12-2003, 23:21
hello to you my dark lord Baloch!

its good to see I'm amongst my fellow historical gamers! I can't wait to rewrite the history of the plantagenet family!

die tudors!! die!!!!! :D

oh, by the way, If you are really into the plantagenet history and like historical fictions, I would strongly recommend 'sunn in splendor' by Sharon K Penman. Its about Richard III, the alternative (nontheless credible) history:cheers: