PDA

View Full Version : off topic - other castle building games??

Pages : [1] 2 3

kevcole33
08-02-2007, 16:54
can anyone here suggest any other good castle building/medieval warfare game?

stronghold had terrible AI. and a too simple economic system. i found that game almost unplayable.

Medieval total war was all about battles. it got too repetitive for me after a short while. M TW2 might be good but my system won't handle that. again it is probably all about battles and not castle building.

i still say lords of the realm 2 is the best there ever was.

Scott716
08-02-2007, 17:16
Just giving a list of Medieval type games I can think of, might not fit what you are looking for though.

Crusader Kings
StrongHold
Stronghold Crusaders
Stronghold 2
Stronghold Legends
Lords of the Realm I, II, and III
The Settlers : Heritage Kings
Medieval Total War I & II
Castle Strike
Medieval Lords
Knights and Merchants:The Shattered Kingdom & The Peasants Rebellion
The Kings of the Dark Age
Crusades: Quest for Power

Any others? I'm adding them in as more are metioned.

Syagrius
08-02-2007, 18:18
Lords of the realm II was a lot of fun but LotR III was just awful :sad:

kevcole33
08-02-2007, 18:47
Lords of the realm II was a lot of fun but LotR III was just awful :sad:

yeah. it was the worst game i ever bought. no question.

Sako
08-02-2007, 23:48
You can try Medieval Lords: Build, Defend, Expand. This is really very good Medieval game:wink:

bigtrouble77
09-02-2007, 02:44
What about Europa Universalis 1-3? I guess it's a bit later in history but worth a look. I got Crusader Kings a while ago but never figured it out. I definitely want to digg around for that in my closet and give it another shot.

Dobber
09-02-2007, 03:47
You can try Medieval Lords: Build, Defend, Expand. This is really very good Medieval game:wink:

It is pretty good for a while, but it plays through pretty quick and they abandoned the game. There is really no replayability with it, no new maps or scenarios. I feel there were great possibilities for the game if they had given an editor so we could have built our own maps and scenarios.

kevcole33
09-02-2007, 04:05
It is pretty good for a while, but it plays through pretty quick and they abandoned the game. There is really no replayability with it, no new maps or scenarios. I feel there were great possibilities for the game if they had given an editor so we could have built our own maps and scenarios.

i'm downloading that demo now. some player reviews said the combat was a joke. like the developers ran out of money or got bored and quit.

Dobber
09-02-2007, 04:57
Yeah, all you have to do is make sure you have all the units of troops your population allows and you can pretty much wipe out the opposition. Finding the right balance for the needs of the population is the biggest thing. And the income is so great, you always have enough money to bribe the Vikings from attacking until you have built enough defenses to handle them.

It is good for an hour or so of entetainment! :go:

bigtrouble77
09-02-2007, 06:30
Yeah, all you have to do is make sure you have all the units of troops your population allows and you can pretty much wipe out the opposition.

Usually when I have a game like that I have to invoke 'House Rules' so that the game can be enjoyable. For instance, one of my hang ups with koh is that it doesn't pay to use kings and princes as knights in your court because they will eventually die. It really makes no sense that your other knights are immortal. As a result, realism takes a hit because you'll never use your kings and princes as military commanders.

So, in my games, I force myself to use the knights and princes as knights in my court to change my strategy to something more realistic rather than exploiting a shortcoming of the game. Once a strategy game becomes a game of figuring out a way to undermine the programmer's AI it ceases to be fun. So I just approach it as I think someone would have in real life even if it knowingly means taking an unnessisarily harder route.

Dobber
09-02-2007, 06:57
Alas, the King does eventually die, and the Prince that inherits the throne eventually dies, but the other Princes(when you have more than one), become immortal upon Papa's passing. So in actuality, you have made the game easier, because you paid no initial investment in that Knight, he didn't cost you 1000 gold to hire.
Why would somebody not use a King as a Marshall, sure he is going to die, but doesn't an army led by the King have some additional bonuses because of his presence? And another plus to having Kings and Princes as Marshall's is that when one is in battle, they all gain experience from that battle whether they fought in it or not. So you can actually have a Prince sitting in a castle somewhere with his army doing absolutely nothing and send daddy King into battle after battle and Prince-ipoo can sit on his arse and do nothing for a while and then come out to fight his first battle already a 4, 5, 6 star Marshall. Talk about unfair advantage, using Kings and Princes as Marshall's, a person should never have to worry about having a weak army!

kevcole33
09-02-2007, 15:15
Why would somebody not use a King as a Marshall, sure he is going to die, but doesn't an army led by the King have some additional bonuses because of his presence?

i usually use my king as a spy. i think it just turns out that way, as my needs for a spy come about generally when my first born prince matures.

i think KOH would be perfect if the castle seige/defence was more challenging. maybe medieval TW2 will be, but most likely it will be a system hog that won't run smooth.

kevcole33
13-02-2007, 15:44
anyone ever play castle strike? looks like a pretty solid castle building - seige/defend type of game. it doesn't comapre with KOH. looks like it does what it set out to do quite well.

Scott716
14-02-2007, 21:49
Darn you Kevcole33!!!...somehow I missed that one... the reviews look half way decent so I had to ordered it. What can I say I'm a ****er for medieval games :biggrin:

Denisold
14-02-2007, 23:38
Darn you Kevcole33!!!...somehow I missed that one... the reviews look half way decent so I had to ordered it. What can I say I'm a ****er for medieval games :biggrin:

Not heard of Castle Strike before - not much about it on Internet (even though its been around about same length of time as KoH) - perhaps not much of a game? Scott716 if you play it maybe give us your opinion re any strenghts that might fit into a KoH2?

Dobber
15-02-2007, 05:41
Castle Strike - same developers as Anno 1701, different publisher but same developer!

kevcole33
15-02-2007, 15:21

hehe. i checked out the demo. it's not half bad, but is probably really weak AI and not much to offer in terms of challenging strategy. but the castle building elements seem quite unique and enjoyable. let us know how it plays out!:go:

kevincompton
15-02-2007, 19:11
stronghold 2 rules, I dont care what you guys say.

kevcole33
15-02-2007, 19:30
okay, the "ignore" function seems to be working.

Scott716
15-02-2007, 19:53
hehe. i checked out the demo. it's not half bad, but is probably really weak AI and not much to offer in terms of challenging strategy. but the castle building elements seem quite unique and enjoyable. let us know how it plays out!:go:

Yeah, from what I read I don't expect much of a struggle against the AI but I was interested in messing around with the building of castles and a few other features that seemed pretty cool. I have a feeling from what I read that if they had followed up with some more patches it might have been great. Like I said though I just enjoy Medieval games and this seems to offer something different so what the heck.