PDA

View Full Version : Spanish unit

Pages : [1] 2

Eduard de Barcelona
06-07-2004, 15:53
I have read that the game will include a Spanish unit, the "jinete". I don't understand why it has been considered infantry. In Spanish "jinetes" means "riders" and in fact they were horsemen. If you are looking for an infantry unit I let me suggest the almogavars. They were fierce mountainmen from Kingdom of Aragon who fought against Muslims in Spain. In 1303 went to Byzantine Empire to fight against Turkish warriors. They defeated them and later they conquered the Frankish Duchy of Athens, in Greece (1310-1388). Thank you for your attention.

Finellach
06-07-2004, 16:30
I doubt the units will change so late in the production of the game.

Khan Asparuh
06-07-2004, 18:29
Still the name can.

Drake Maethor
06-07-2004, 21:43
I asked the same question, when the 'jinetes' appeared.
No official answer so far.

Finellach
06-07-2004, 23:11
Well I agree with you all, don't get me wrong. I am a great fan of Spanish cultures especially Catalan, but as I said I dobut they will change it so late as know not to mention they offered nothing official yet regarding this, but have actually ignored all calls...ah well...

Drake Maethor
07-07-2004, 00:39
For us Spanish speakers is as odd as if a unit called 'riders' wes in the Polearms units list. :p

Finellach
07-07-2004, 00:42
hmmm...yes that is funny :lol:
Perhaps you should make a stronger pressure on Frank and Frujin. After all we presuaded them to remove Viking horns, why not convince them to add another unit or rename the present. ;)

Finellach
07-07-2004, 01:26
More on Almogavars ==> http://www.anistor.co.hol.gr/english/enback/v004.htm

It seems they would fit perfectly instead of supposed "jinetes"(riders, cavalry) :lol:

Frank, Frujin can you comment on this?

Btw. some excerpts on the appearance of Almogavars:
"The dress of the mountainman of the Pyrenees corresponds, in any case, to that of the Almogavar: the zamarra of undressed sheep-skins (replaced by a tunic in hotter climates) and the abarca, a piece of coarse leather tied on the soles of the feet, ideal protection against thorns, rocks, and thickets.."

Unencumbered by the ubiquitous heavy plate arms and armor that characterize warfare of the later Middle Ages, the Almogavars excelled in the use of light projectile weapons, such as the azcona, a short, light lance, and they usually carried three or four javelins, which they would fling with enough force to pierce through the best armor of the age. They also carried a coutel or colltell, a long, cruel-looking dagger..."

It seems they were not typical polearm units. They carried javelins or lances that they threw at their enemies and would then engage in fight with some kind of swrods or long daggers as the author says. Interesting.

Finellach
08-07-2004, 03:35
Why isn't anyone supporting this idea?!?! Do you want "riders" as polearm infantry units? Come on people....

Drake Maethor
08-07-2004, 04:50
It seems they do not get it... :scratch:
Let's put it like this:

Polearm Units
Spearmen *:go:*
Halberdiers *yeah*
Town Guards *good*
Desert Spearmen *:cheers:*
RIDERS :eek:

Lord_Guilherme
08-07-2004, 05:35
I'd like to see a raid with a polearm unit. It woud be nice to see the townspeople running faster than the riders. And when they try to use their heavy weapons to destroy the houses they will see a knight commanding a troop of archers. With they awesome speed they will probably try to rush at the archers, showing them that an arrow cannot hit a man as fast as the wind. Unfortunately, the "jinetes" won't be able to tell their childrens how they managed to kill the mighty army of longbowmen... ;(

Eduard de Barcelona
08-07-2004, 11:53
I don't know why Frujin doesn't answer about the jinetes unit. Perhaps it's all decided: They have created an inpossible infantry unit: the horsemen. What a pity! ;( ;( ;( ;( The Spanish players will know this mistake. Please change the name of "jinetes".

Nike
08-07-2004, 13:32
I don't know why Frujin doesn't answer about the jinetes unit. Perhaps it's all decided: They have created an inpossible infantry unit: the horsemen. What a pity! ;( ;( ;( ;( The Spanish players will know this mistake. Please change the name of "jinetes".

I'm sure he will! As soon as he enters the forum!

Finellach
08-07-2004, 18:38
I'm sure he will! As soon as he enters the forum!

Well I've seen him on the forums and I must say I am sure Frank or Frujin saw this thread yet no word from them?! :nono:

Haegemon
08-07-2004, 18:49
I have read that the game will include a Spanish unit, the "jinete". I don't understand why it has been considered infantry. In Spanish "jinetes" means "riders" and in fact they were horsemen. If you are looking for an infantry unit I let me suggest the almogavars. They were fierce mountainmen from Kingdom of Aragon who fought against Muslims in Spain. In 1303 went to Byzantine Empire to fight against Turkish warriors. They defeated them and later they conquered the Frankish Duchy of Athens, in Greece (1310-1388). Thank you for your attention.

Ei company!!!, Això ho vaig sugerir jo fa temps, però ni cas.

Contnt. Trad: I suggeted this some time ago.

Eduard de Barcelona
09-07-2004, 13:54
I don't know if the devs. will change the jinetes unit, but I'm disappointed because they haven't answered about the question. I think that many parts of the game are finished and it's vain to suggest reforms to get better it. :nono: ;( ;(

Hector
09-07-2004, 13:58
dont wish toooooo muuuuucccchhhh

Hector
09-07-2004, 13:58
i would like to see the flyingdutchman to

Frujin
09-07-2004, 14:40
Jinetes are cavalry units.

Finellach
09-07-2004, 15:40
What about Almogavars? They seem like a very interesting unit.