PDA

View Full Version : Review enemy army/garrison details?

Innocence
05-03-2007, 14:33
Is there some way I can see or figure out which units an enemy army/city garrison contains?
Currently I attack the enenmy army/city and retreat if outmatched, which is hardly the optimal method :)

Largefry07
05-03-2007, 17:14
None to my knowledge that are before the fact. It is not until you go into battle and either count the units there (if no marshall is persent) or wait until the town is taken and see what was is the garrison. But by then it really doesn't do you much good.

Denisold
05-03-2007, 21:10
I have same problem - its pretty hard to make a strategic choice as to engaging an enemy without some better info on numbers and reputation of the foe. Perhaps this would be a job for an advanced spy function if they rebuild the game as KoH2?

Dobber
05-03-2007, 21:17
I don't really think you would have been privy to that kind of information without having sent a spy in beforehand, in real life Medieval warfare. Why should we have that information in this simulation?

Denisold
06-03-2007, 01:29
Hi Dobber - thanks for your comment.

I would have thought that a King and his military people would have a fair idea of the strength and reputation of most armies before them. The info may have come via a spy, or though friendly royals, or through rumor, or through previous battles, or.................etc, etc. However it got there they would know. IMO the player should have this info also.

My suggestion is really aimed at trying to increase the various tasks that could be eventually developed for the various characters in the royal court. In this case for the 'spy'. If the game gets overhauled perhaps these types of tasks can be included.

Innocence
06-03-2007, 08:08
I don't really think you would have been privy to that kind of information without having sent a spy in beforehand, in real life Medieval warfare. Why should we have that information in this simulation?So it seems there's really no way to know enemy army and garrison strenghts beforehand, and that this is apparently by game design. That's fine and to a large degree fairly realistic as you say, even if it does make strategic and tactical choices more random.

I only asked because I though there was an better way than the trial-and-error approach I've been using :)

Elvain
06-03-2007, 08:12
I think it's fair that you can estimate how strong an enemy army is in a field battle (you can see what units the AI marshal has and how many soldiers he has), but how could you make estimates on a city which is fortified by walls?

Conquering cities wasn't an easy thing in middle ages so I find it rather fair :wink:

Innocence
07-03-2007, 07:26
(you can see what units the AI marshal has and how many soldiers he has)You can? How?
Conquering cities wasn't an easy thing in middle ages so I find it rather fair :wink:Agree :)