PDA

View Full Version : Pace of Knights with Honor?

Pages : [1] 2 3

CustodianV131
16-07-2004, 00:52
I'm wondering how fast the game will play.

I mean when i first heard of the game i was amazed it was going to be an RTS instead of a turn based or 50/50 (like the Total War series)

How quickly will troops move on the world map? Will you see them move fast so that you give them a direction and they arrive a tiny bit later (ie say 10 seconds equals weeks or even months of real-time) or will they move slow (ie 10 secs equals a few days)

Will the sort of troops the army is made up of, influence movement? Is an all horse army faster?

When paused will you be able to hand out orders for your kingdom? Will such a pause feature also be available in battle?

Also:

I'm thinking that when you meet the enemy in a wooded area you'll get a zoomed in map with lots of trees which may be a good thing if you field a certain troop type, right?

If so:

Will armies move slow enough on the world map that once you discover an enemy army you'll be able to scramble some troops en engage them on a field/condition that you choose?

I'm hoping the pace will be slow enough for tactical maneuvering and such. I get the feeling that Knights of Honor won't be the stress bunnygame that most RTS'es are but rather giving a new meaning to the RTS moniker, am i right on this?

Drake Maethor
16-07-2004, 01:00
Very good question!

This is more important that it may look...
In Lords of the Realm III for example staying too long managing your troops during a battle could mean a a pack of counties lost when you returned to the main view.

KOH will let you choose if the time stops during a battle...
But what if you choose: not stop? :rolleyes:

Angryminer
16-07-2004, 10:56
"How quickly will troops move on the world map?"
Frujin said that an average army would need about 40 minutes to move from Lisabon to Moskow.
"Will the sort of troops the army is made up of, influence movement? Is an all horse army faster?"
Yes, armies consisting only of cavalry move faster.
"When paused will you be able to hand out orders for your kingdom? Will such a pause feature also be available in battle?"
In WorldView this is possible. But I don't know wether it is possible in CloseView or not...
"I'm thinking that when you meet the enemy in a wooded area you'll get a zoomed in map with lots of trees which may be a good thing if you field a certain troop type, right?"
Yes, you can try to intercept an enemy-army in a certain spot. And yes, the battle-map in CloseView will try to match the position in world-view.
"I'm hoping the pace will be slow enough for tactical maneuvering and such."
Yes, tactics and strategy is what KoH is about. You'll have enough time to think out your masterplans and give the correct orders. :go:

Angryminer

Bora
16-07-2004, 17:11
i would say: fast enough to get not boring. but still slow enough that you can keep eveything under control.

CustodianV131
16-07-2004, 22:09
Thanks for those answers Angryminer! Its like they know exactly what i'm looking for in a game... spooky

Still would be great to know or you can you a "give orders pause" during battles. (Depending on how its plays this might not be needed) Also the point that Drake clarifies is a good one. Will we miss out on an important battle because we're caught up fighting some misguided rebels?

HappyAdolf
16-07-2004, 22:11
Yes, Angryminer is our walking Lexikon :D

CustodianV131
17-07-2004, 21:40
Yes, Angryminer is our walking Lexikon :D

LOL true. When questions are asked, i often just scroll down to i see his posts. :)

Frank Fay
19-07-2004, 07:47
Angryminer has almost written everything, except one thing, which he couldnt know. To make your army moving faster, you can also grant the Strategist skill to your Marshal.

Sir Turylon
19-07-2004, 16:23
Angryminer has almost written everything, except one thing, which he couldnt know. To make your army moving faster, you can also grant the Strategist skill to your Marshal.

Frank has revealed something! Me thinks speaking in riddles would be better for the keeper of knowledge.

Mr Fay, would it not be better to call "faster movement"... "path finding" or "logistics" and couple it with lower "supply consumption"... possible?

Henrik
19-07-2004, 16:43
Frank has revealed something! Me thinks speaking in riddles would be better for the keeper of knowledge.

Mr Fay, would it not be better to call "faster movement"... "path finding" or "logistics" and couple it with lower "supply consumption"... possible?

I think i recall that Frank has told us of a skill which make an army move faster - as he stated.

Regarding theses skills you mention Sir Turylon i would like to see them implemented into KoH2 i.e so a knight/marshall has an ability to get a skill which is a combination of two skills - forexample "path finding/logistics" = faster movement/lower supply consumption - the drawback should be that if a knight/marshall possesses a "combined" skill, then either of the two skills would be as effective as if it was a "full" skill - but it would still be usefull, because it would sorta free up one of the knight/marshalls "skill-slots".

Sir Turylon
19-07-2004, 19:47
lol @ last line of your sig Henrik.

@the skills.

That would be interesting indeed. I think that would best be implemented as a synergy between two skills. Say for example:

Your marshall has the skills
Lvl 2 Path Finding
Lvl 2 Logistics
Lvl 2 Command

he would then get a synergy skill such as... Campaigner where his soldiers would not lose morale on long marches.

Say he has
Lvl 3 Logistics
Lvl 3 Scouting (farther LOS and ability to detect ambushes)

He would then get a synergy skill such as forage which would replenish his supply while in hostile terrirtory, but he'd lose piety because his soldiers are roaming around taking food from people. :go:

some great possibilities. (there is a lot of i's in possibilities... :rofl: )

Jarlabanke
19-07-2004, 21:05
An army consisting solely of cavalty should, while being able to maintain a greater speed than one consisting of footmen, also require a lot more resources to keep going, is this in any way depicted in the game?

Angryminer
19-07-2004, 23:08
It isn't your job to think about such minor things. The leading marshall will take care of all that.

Angryminer

Henrik
19-07-2004, 23:14
@Sir Turylon

I'm happy to see that we share similar ideas on this one :go:

@Jarlabanke

If it should be made properly, then an army made up from diffrent units would always move as fast as the slowest unit are able to - if you know what i mean !

regrading the consumption of resoursses - i would be surprised to see if they have thought of that one - frankly i don't think they have....

Frank Fay
20-07-2004, 07:38
we have more than 20 skills for a Marshal and they can be combined as he can have up to 6. Each skill can be developed in 3 levels...

There is a consumption skill, called "Logistics", which makes your army eating less food.

CustodianV131
20-07-2004, 11:13
That's really nice!

Those skills will be really important in making decisions one where to use which knight, which knight to promote or pass on ect, ect! Guess you'll really be able to find knight which fight your point of view ie who have the skill to strengthen the way you rule your kingdom! Great stuff!

Also on the topic that maintaining a cavalry army is more expensive then a foot. That might be sort of in. Probably Cavalry units are more expensive to train/buy and probably also the upkeep will be higher.

Roobarb
20-07-2004, 18:17
I think we can all rest easy about this area of questions.

It sounds like they have considered 'the gamer' here and what a human with a mouse can and can't do in a specified amount of time.

One thing that annoyed me about Age of Empires was the difficulty of organising multiple attacks at once. Got hand cramps after a while!!! :silly:

I must say I am getting excited about this game. It DOES seem that the developers have listened to the RTS fans out there and hit the nail on the head of all aspects. *Finger crossed*
:bday:

Jarlabanke
20-07-2004, 18:20
To rephrase my question: Is there a difference in consumption/maintenance cost between units?

Sir Turylon
20-07-2004, 20:43
we have more than 20 skills for a Marshal and they can be combined as he can have up to 6. Each skill can be developed in 3 levels...

There is a consumption skill, called "Logistics", which makes your army eating less food.

:go: I am glad to see Frank is using my.. er... our ideas. ;)

*thinks about the beginning part*
so, wait a second... you can combine two skills into one? Did I read that correctly?

Henrik
21-07-2004, 00:11
:go: I am glad to see Frank is using my.. er... our ideas. ;)

*thinks about the beginning part*
so, wait a second... you can combine two skills into one? Did I read that correctly?

No, i don't think you did Sir Turylon :nono

Originally Posted by Frank Fay

The way i understand it, it is that each knight can have up to six skills, but not a skill which is a combination of two skills !

If they made a combined skill it should be IMO half the "strength" of a "full" skill i.e. if it was a logistic/scouting skill, then this skill should make his army consume like 25% less food and he should be able to "see" 25% farther, but if he had these a two seperate skills then food comsumption should be like 50% less and the spotting distance should be 50%.

These combination of different skills we also know from D&D games

I'll hope they implement this in KoH2 - i don't mind waiting for it - besides then we also have something to forward to !