PDA

View Full Version : spelling

Pages : [1] 2

dolmard
16-07-2004, 19:34
I saw on the political map screenshot a little mistake. Orléans (in France) is the correct spelling and it was "Orlean" in the screenshot. I don't mind about the accent above the e but if there's no s to the end it seems very strange to any french people. So "Orleans" will be a good solution. If you need any help about spelling of french places and countries i will be glad to help.

roostercogburn
17-07-2004, 01:38
Who cares i hate the french lol

Emhyr var Emreis
17-07-2004, 09:47
you can hate them, but it is not justifiable reason for the devs to use wrong french names. Imagine you play a game of American independence war where is battle of Guttensbur, New Jersey Is Naw Jirsy etc.

How would you feel? How would the French people feel when seeing Orlean instead of Orleans? they will be probably very Angry

Ben Nevis
17-07-2004, 10:21
Who cares i hate the french lol

Keep it friendly, pls.

P.S. I think the "Laugh Out Loud" shouldn't be used as disclaimer that allows you to say bad things

Angryminer
17-07-2004, 11:22
I really understand your point, and I think it should be renamed.
On the other hand I don't think the devs will do so...

Angryminer

roostercogburn
17-07-2004, 14:53
Emhyr var emreis you have a point there, lets hope they fix what they can

roostercogburn
17-07-2004, 14:53
how was i not be friendly

Finellach
17-07-2004, 15:54
"Who cares i hate the french"

I think this is quite unfriendly...

HappyAdolf
17-07-2004, 17:17
I don't like them, too, but it is not very friendly to say that in this forum, it is an international forum and here may be some French people, too.
But I don't mind :D

Largefry07
17-07-2004, 17:51
dolmard I think devs did this because this is an English website. Orléans is the french spelling and Orlean is the English spelling. Since this is an English webstie and not French the devs spelled it Orlean. This is the only way I can think of why the devs made this like this.

MistraL
17-07-2004, 18:24
Wow I agree that was really uncalled for. And you for one, the "patriotic American" should realize that starting arguements about nationalities in a forum which has many europeans is not quite the smarted thing to do.

Sir Turylon
17-07-2004, 20:10
"Who cares i hate the french"

I think this is quite unfriendly...

indeed. it is "unfriendly" even I do not hate the French. *gasp* hahaha

@spelling. of course words should be spelled correctly. Let us just not get TOO realistic.. how many of you would want the names of provinces and cities in Francais, Deutch, and Latin... not to mention Arabic and Greek. EEK! Orlean was a person, wasn't it? Orleans is the city.. IE, also New Orleans. do they pronounce it same way in France? New Ore-lins. :)

@Largefry. no, actually the English spelling is Orleans. :) we just do not use those fancy accents. :go:

dolmard
17-07-2004, 20:30
Well about spelling it was just an observation. I didn't know that englishmen spells Orléans (it's a city) without an s, so i have to write New-Orlean ? I can't complaint about it : french people used to spell foreign countries and cities in a french variation (London is Londres, Deutschland is Allemagne).
A little comment about the rest : i can't realize how some people do to hate a whole country or nation. "I don't like the french" just like "i don't like apple pie". We are all individuals and in every country you can meet bad and good people. "La bêtise est la chose la mieux partagée du monde."

" Seules deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine... Et, pour l'univers, je n'en suis pas sûr. " Albert Einstein

Sir Turylon
17-07-2004, 20:44
well said. to hate them all is to hate in ignorance.

FYI, for last time. Orleans is spelled Orleans in english!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New Orleans, notice the s? the s is not taken off

Je habit dans les Etats Unis. (hope that is right.) .

Angryminer
17-07-2004, 20:49
Would you mind to translate the french sentences?

Angryminer

P.S.: Why did you quote Albert Einstein in french on an english forum though he spoke german?

Frank Fay
17-07-2004, 21:22
@ dolmard: The whole game will be translated into French, including correct spelling for everything.

dolmard
17-07-2004, 21:47
"Stupidity is the matter best shared in this world" (don't know the author and sorry for my frenglish)
"only two things are infinite, universe and human stupidity... And about the universe i'm not sure" A. Einstein
this is my own translation. I hope it's understandable.
The whole game will be translated in french ? Well i 'm quite stupid : i didn't search or look the site about a future translation. I already know that sunflowers did good job on translation (i'm a big Anno 1503 fan).

Finellach
17-07-2004, 22:15
To say you hate one group of people to me is unacceptable. If you say hey I don't like this and this about French then I would have no problem, but to say you just hate them....:nono:
What if I say I "hate" americans? I have no doubt that I would suddenly get a label "anti-american".
People get a grip and realize what ou are saying is actually racism. :angry:

HappyAdolf
17-07-2004, 22:26
I don't like people from Poland BECAUSE they steal cars.
I don't like Jews because I'm German :D (just a joke :D)
I don't like French because they are arrogant and have a stupid language :D
I don't like people who hate people without reasons :p

Sir Turylon
17-07-2004, 23:58
What if I say I "hate" americans? I have no doubt that I would suddenly get a label "anti-american".

ahhh, stop with your anti-americanism!!!!! :rofl:

seriously. roger that. :go: