PDA

View Full Version : English soldiers

Pages : [1] 2

Lancer
20-07-2004, 17:36
I've looked around but I can't seem to see any English unique units apart from the (originally welsh) longbow men. Will we see any others like Billmen?

Kuno of Gersenau
20-07-2004, 17:39
Sorry, the unit-list is fix now, so there will not come new units like the Billmen...(PS: What's a Billmen?)

Maybe something for an Addon.

Lancer
20-07-2004, 17:42
Billmen were pole-arm soldiers armed with Bill-hooks, which were like halberds but more effective in hooking men off horses.

HappyAdolf
20-07-2004, 19:38
Hmm... maybe they didn't include them because the wouldn't know any other units for the expansion then ;)
Yes, and I have to agree to Kuno, the unit list ist fix. So is the building list.

Sir Turylon
20-07-2004, 20:52
Hi Lancer, welcome to the forums. I like your name. lol.

First off, there are also Highlanders. You also have Vikings and Normans.

Now I know these three units are not "English" but they do give the English Isles 4 unique units to choose. (I hope they are letting the English provinces produce Vikings and Normans...hopefully.)

This brings up another interesting thought. Wil provinces have traveling bands of "unique unit " mercenaries. IE, You are sitting in your castle in.. oh.. Wessex, and a group of highlanders wants to join...

timurlenk
20-07-2004, 21:28
there are hobilars in ireland.
well, not england but at least uk :cheers:

Jarlabanke
20-07-2004, 21:44
The english have vikings? Sounds kind of strange...and incorrect.

Finellach
20-07-2004, 22:57
There were Vikings in northern England, also in northern Scotland(Orkney) and in Ireland(Meath-Dublin).

Also I think English already have enough units as it is, but perhaps this is something for a "future release" where I hope we will see: Baltic Cavalry, Hospitaliers and Almogavars.

Emhyr var Emreis
20-07-2004, 23:00
and for future release I would say I would like to see also hussite crossbowmen for Bohemia, it is late unitz like the Teutonics on the Balt, not so important for whole Europe, but a big threaten for most of area of Poland, north west Hungary (so Hungary and Slovakia today) back in those times of early 15th century.

Finellach
20-07-2004, 23:52
As you mentioned yourself Hussites came in early 15th century. That would be some time after the latest starting period.

Jarlabanke
21-07-2004, 00:05
Technically there were vikings in Russia, Poland, Ireland, France, Germany etc etc too. Do make a difference between settlers and vikings.

Sir Turylon
21-07-2004, 00:35
Technically there were vikings in Russia, Poland, Ireland, France, Germany etc etc too. Do make a difference between settlers and vikings.

I was. The vikings crossed over, settled. They then went on raids along the coast. One area they 'took over" was around the Orkney islands. :go:

yes, Hospitlars would be nice. :D

Finellach
21-07-2004, 01:04

In Russia, Ukraine, etc we had Varangians. France and Germany had Normans and Ireland indeed had Vikings, but they were deafeted and expelled.

Ledhead
21-07-2004, 01:23
In Russia, Ukraine, etc we had Varangians. France and Germany had Normans and Ireland indeed had Vikings, but they were deafeted and expelled.

Expelled...well, that is a question of definition to me. They were certainly assimilated (resistnce is futile!).
Defeated a very few times, but for their conquering future very decisive fot example at Stamford Bridge 1066 by Harald Godwinson. Who later same year was defeated by viking ancestors :hello: at Hastings...

Jarlabanke
21-07-2004, 07:57
Umm the Scandinavian people who settled in England were massacred by the English king in the beginning of the 11th century, this is thought to have included the dansih kings Sveins sister and is according to legend what led him to conquer England a few years afterwards. I stress once again that the people who settled usually weren't vikings in it's real meaning but settlers, the whole point of the viking raid is that your own home is out of reach for the enemy. If you live just a few miles up on the same coast you're likely to get it right back at ya.
Varangians and vikings are the same thing it's just a difference in direction east or west, until of course the varangianguard began to become domminated by english men, but by that time the viking age was already over, everywhere but in Ireland where the norwegians ran around until early 13th century or something like that.
The vikings in France were never defeated or expelled, they became the Normans...

Bora
21-07-2004, 11:14
the units list got very large. when i thin of its beginning, it has recived a really great improvement. :go:

Finellach
21-07-2004, 18:53
Expelled...well, that is a question of definition to me. They were certainly assimilated (resistnce is futile!).

Expelled in a sense that Vikings power and army was totally destroyed by Irish forces. The rest obviously assimilated.

Defeated a very few times, but for their conquering future very decisive fot example at Stamford Bridge 1066 by Harald Godwinson. Who later same year was defeated by viking ancestors :hello: at Hastings...

You are now talking about England.

Btw. this thread reminded me on another unit. The Irish Gallowglass, they were mix between Vikings and the Irish. In appearance I would say they were like a much between Normans and Highlanders being armored with chainmail and similar helmet and carrying Claymore swords and two-handed axes.

So the additional units list looks like this:

Hospitaliers
Baltic Cavalry
Almogavars
Gallowglass

King Yngvar
21-07-2004, 21:17
What? Is the English going to have "Vikings"? What would be special for the Scandinavian countries if other's get the "Vikings" too. And you use northern England as an argument? The "Vikings" in Northern England fought for Jorvik (York), and Jorvik fell in 954.
"Vikings" did not fight for England in other ways than as mercenaries, and by the year 1000, there were too few "Vikings" in English service to let them recruit them in great masses like with the other troops.

Finellach
21-07-2004, 21:33
This is a game Yngvar. Templars didn't fought with each other, Teutonic Knights weren't fighting for pagans and Poland, etc....

Sir Turylon
21-07-2004, 22:34
This is a game Yngvar. Templars didn't fought with each other, Teutonic Knights weren't fighting for pagans and Poland, etc....
The man with the horrible signature speaks the truth.

Just put the history books away while you play the game. :go: :rofl:

FYI, there danish and nordic people in northern isles around the time of the first crusade.