PDA

View Full Version : Are Spies Useless in v1.05?

Dogge
02-05-2007, 02:49
Hi,

Am I the only one who thinks that ever since patch v1.05 came out, the espionage in KoH is downright irritating?

Moving closer to the point: it takes me ages to get a spy to infiltrate other kingdoms, and, frankly speaking, I've only succeeded twice (out of ~10 attempts) ever since I installed patch v1.05! I even got so desperate that I increased game speed to 8.0 and I'd waited like 15 minutes doing nothing but expecting my spies to infiltrate - I was driven by the suspicion that it is some kind of a bug, or at least something the developers of the patch did not directly intend to achieve because it really mutilates the whole espionage in KoH.

Does anyone else experience this, err... bug? :scratch:

patriot1
02-05-2007, 07:13
Guess the targeted kingdom doesn`t have an empty slot so you will have to wait till his marshal gets killed or something,so that your spy can infiltrate the royal court!
2 days ago i used for a first time espionage(i usually put my king in this position only to protect the court from anyone willing to infiltrate it).So a 5 star spy was set on a mission in Byzantia i was playing with Bulgaria.When i started the war he send all 4 of his marshals when i killed 2,my spy infiltarted the court as a general,after my 4 kill he became an emperor and gave me his crown.Yet i cannot say if it was it a beginners luck or will it happen all the time!

btw how did you adjust the game speed to 8.0?Something tells me you didn`t used preferences?!:scratch:

Dobber
02-05-2007, 07:53
btw how did you adjust the game speed to 8.0?Something tells me you didn`t used preferences?!:scratch:

Press the "+" key on the number pad 3 times! Pressing the "*" key on the number pad once increases it to 10, pressing again takes it back to 1!

Elvain
02-05-2007, 08:04
I don't think it is a bug.

It's just bad luck I think. It really differs. In some game you have to wait, in some other your spies infiltrate quickly.
The reason of worse success maight also be a fact that the AI uses knights much more than before, so he also hires spies who protect his court. Just a thuoght...

patriot1
02-05-2007, 12:13
Press the "+" key on the number pad 3 times! Pressing the "*" key on the number pad once increases it to 10, pressing again takes it back to 1!

:hello: :hello: :hello: Thanks a lot Dobber!God i`m so happy,now i don`t need to waste all that time on waithing.I never even imagined that KOH had such an option(silly me)and i`am playing it for 2 years :confused: :lol: :hello: :hello:

mammix
02-05-2007, 12:29
Hm, it may be a bug becaouse everything is normal on my KoH recently :P
The nly thing patch changed is that spie can get arrested if he had done sth bad in country before and people from it (when you send him again) recognized him

Dogge
02-05-2007, 23:17
Thanks for all your replies, they have given me some hope.

I will try reinstalling KoH with the new patch and see what happens. If this does not help, I will try adjusting spy settings in the defs to be similar to the first patch or original version. Dunno, it baffles me that nobody else complains about this problem, so reinstalling is a good start.

Dogge
04-05-2007, 19:05
Well, I was initially right - spy infiltration takes longer in the new version. However I now learned that this is not because of a bug or an adjusted espionage setting per se. I compared some espionage-related defs between the original version and 1.05 and found nothing different. After toying a bit with the bsswitch cheat I now sternly believe that the problem lies in the adjusted AI behavior in hiring knights.

I started a new game without focusing on espionage at all at the beginning. Later on as my empire grew and my economic potential was titanic in scale I decided to give a single spy a shot - I was amazed at the quickness with which he has infiltrated a foreign kingdom. So espionage definitely works, but it is surely more difficult, not in the least because if you attempt to infiltrate the same kingdom a second time (using the same spy) then his chances at successfully infiltrating aspire to zilch.

knez
04-05-2007, 21:57
:hello: :hello: :hello: Thanks a lot Dobber!God i`m so happy,now i don`t need to waste all that time on waithing.I never even imagined that KOH had such an option(silly me)and i`am playing it for 2 years :confused: :lol: :hello: :hello:

that should be a sticky topic
I've played KoH for some year and a half and also found out about that on this forum (by coincidence)

myth5hk
05-05-2007, 14:10
They just take some time and you gotta be patient i guess, i was able to infiltrate poland when i was in war with them and beforei crushed them hahaha. btw playing as scotland and kicking ***. And he took over the town and became independent from poland, then i just had him hand over the town to me!! haha!! i think i had upgraded him to level 5 stars, not sure if that matters though, still cool!

I wonder if yr spies can refuse to give up there independence and become a new country or something?