PDA

View Full Version : Winning

Victus Succor
16-06-2007, 03:32
Been playing this game now, and I'm lovin' it. However, I'm perplexed on how to win. I know you need to be made emperor, but how do you go about this? I'm not asking where to find the ask for title button. I'm asking, how do you get other kingdoms to vote for you. I had excellent relations with all the top nations, yet nobody voted for me, save for one kingdom. I tried making the top kingdoms vassals, but they still voted against me. I tried making all of my royal court married to others in the other top kingdoms, but they still voted against me. So, what does one have to do to get votes in favor, so that you can actually win this game?:bash:

Dobber
16-06-2007, 05:21
Welcome to the forum, Victus Succor! :halloha:

The one time I claimed the title, I married off my 6 kids to the top 6Kingdoms, and made alliances with them, then claimed the title and they all voted for me! Perhaps you did not follow up with alliances after marrying your kids to theirs.

Another possibility, it may be harder to be successful at claiming the title after patch 1.05, if you have installed it. The one time I claimed title was before patch 1.05. I don't know what the patch may have changed as far as claiming title!

patriot1
16-06-2007, 07:31
It is extremely difficult to be elected as a supreme ruler in 1.5,i couldn`t ever achieve this although i always am the stongest state i usually end the game with minor victory cause i get bored of waithing and wasting money for nothing,when the player calls a vote it is almost impossible to get someone give a vote for you,as if you re "arrogant" to wish the title,i got harmonious with every great power yet noone voted "for" ungratefull bastards :angry: are the ai kingdoms,almost always i get betrayed by a kingdom for which i gave thousands of gold coins,military help and all the other stuff.Thats why i never form alliances with anybody,pact of non agression is good enought :biggrin: .

Traveller
16-06-2007, 13:01
The easiest way to win the Ultimate Imperial title, at least before the second patch, was by waiting till someone else starts the elections and you're one of the two pretendents. In the second patch it would probably be more difficult, but still that would probably be the way. Because, as patriot said, if you claim the title yourself, the others will probably think you're too arrogant to ask for it yourself...

Victus Succor
20-06-2007, 13:09
Ok, after a little more play testing, I figured out some quirks about the AI.

First of all, I agree, you have to wait till the election is called. Calling it yourself is pure disaster.

Second, I should of told you who I was playing as. Being a history buff, I choose to play as Byzantium. If I wasn't a history buff, I'd of probably of chosen a nationality similar to my own. I can't think of anyone who considers themselves Byzantian.

So, with this set up, I was the only Greek Orthodox nation. Relying on people of other religions to vote you ruler is a pipe dream. So, my empire gets bigger. No other Orthodox religion nations. Empire gets bigger. Empire gets bigger. Finally, I don't get any male heirs. My leader dies and my kingdom is ripped apart into 3 large subkingdoms, with about 20 rogue one castle nations. The good new, all but 3 of the small nations are Greek Orthodox.

Soon, an election is called, and both Orthodox subnations vote for me. All others abstain.

So, I help a few of these rogue nations to grow. Now, I have about 5 other large Orthodox nations on my side. Only problem now is, other nations who are not orthodox have more seats for voting. So, current plan is to beat down any great nation not orthodox.

I'll keep you informed.

P.S. I haven't patched yet.....this is store bought a few years ago, before it went gold. Kept it in a box, decided to play because I was bored one weekend.

Traveller
21-06-2007, 11:38
Just note that the game doesn't make much of a difference between Greek Orthodox, Bulgarian Orthodox, Serbian Orthodox, Russian Orthodox etc. - it's either Independent Orthodox or not. :wink:

Victus Succor
21-06-2007, 12:34
As a noob question.....

During the regularly scheduled elections for emperor, how many votes do you need. It states that nobody was elected as nobody received 2/3 of the votes. Yet, the voting is done by 5 people. I'm having a hard time figuring out how many votes you need. Is it 3, or 4? At 3, you'd only have 60%. At 4, you'd have 80%. 2/3 votes means 66%. So, which is it, 3 or 4 votes?

Dobber
21-06-2007, 15:18
Well 3 is not 2/3's of the vote, but 4 does cover the 2/3 eventhough it is 4/5.

The elections involve the seven most powerful kingdoms, you need 2/3 of the other six kingdoms to support you(2/3 of 6 = 4). Naturally the other ruler being considered would not support you as you would not support him, so 3 out of 5 voters = 3 out of the other 6 top nations or 50%.

Xuca
21-06-2007, 21:13
In the unpatched version you don't need votes at all to get elected. You need 2/3 of the points each ruler gives you which you can see when you mouse over their portrait. This was changed in the patch, which version are you using?

Victus Succor
22-06-2007, 11:00
Still trying to win. I figured out that all of the votes come from either vassals with good relations who are of the same religion, or allies who are kin and have good relations. I've gotten 2 votes three times now. I have the unpatched game, before it went gold. Just never took it out of the box to play it.

So, now I have made four orthodox nations that I have allied with. Being that they are all orthodox, conflicts happen, but don't last long. As long as I can deflect conflicts to other nations, my allies soon lose interest in fighting each other.

I also found it necessary to remove the papacy. With no pope calling crusades ever 5 minutes, the political situation is much more stable.

My only problem now is getting my fav four significant enough to actually cast votes. Mostly, I think because they are vassals, they don't get as much overall power. So, eventhough many of them have 8 territories, other countries like Norway, and France who only have 6 territories are more influencial.

So, now my strategy is to carpet bomb any nation who is blocking my fav four from being part of the voting block. Hopefully this will work, eventually.

Victus Succor
23-06-2007, 11:23
I WON!:cheers:

I found out a few things about this game.

1) you need diplomacy to win.
2) you need to take out anything that disrupts the diplmatic peace
a) remove the papacy if you aren't catholic
b) prevent vassals by other countries, since a vassal who is your ally isn't truely your ally, unless they are your vassal
3) you need to make sure it is your allies that occupy the voting slots. This means you might need to beat down a large faction, or give provences or money to your allies to make them one of the 7 most influential.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dobber
23-06-2007, 16:44
Congratulations! Now that you have discovered the ins & outs of the game, you will be giving us advice! :biggrin:

Bronnen
23-06-2007, 22:11
Yeah, i stated that quite awhile ago in the tips thing, so anyone else that needs a clearer english post, just read my own topic about tips.

Dobber
24-06-2007, 05:58
Yeah, i stated that quite awhile ago in the tips thing, so anyone else that needs a clearer english post, just read my own topic about tips.

And where is this thread of yours about tips? I looked for it and couldn't find it!

Bronnen
25-06-2007, 02:27
that's strange, I can't find it anymore. I'll just rewrite it later on.