PDA

View Full Version : City names vs. province names

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moorkh
21-11-2003, 00:08
Currently it looks like (and I think it even was stated sometwhere by the Devs) every province has one central city and both of them share the name. If the province is called Genova, so is the city.

However, I feel it is just silly to have a city called Bavaria, and equally silly to see a province labelled London. I don't see why it would be so hard to give each province a historical name and then take an important city within its boundaries and define it as its capital. It would make things more realistic while not causing too much work (hell, I'd even do it for you if you sent me a list of your current provinces ;) ) and wouldn't be hard to implement. Neither would it complicate anything unreasonably.

So, can we assume these names we see on the screenshots are just placeholders or is there a game design issue that demands province and city to have one and the same name?

Jorghan
21-11-2003, 00:55
Perhaps there are no province names, just city names. Though a city name of Bavaria still seems strange then.

Pikeman
21-11-2003, 08:17
I agree with Moorkh. I'm a historical-accuracy-fanatic, and I can't cope with something like that, especially if, as Moorkh says, it would be very easy to change it.

Maybe BSS's argument is it would make things confusing. Why, you could have it so that when a message pops up, it says:"There has been an attack on Munich, bavaria" or "Munich, the capital of Bavaria is under attack!". That shouldn't be be too confusing.:cool:

P.S. I know that Munich was only founded in the 12th century, but you get my meaning.

Elewyn
22-11-2003, 13:00
I agree and don't think it would be problem to change the names of realm capitals/realms.And it would make the game much more realistic and interesting.

hawk_knight
22-11-2003, 19:56
Originally posted by Elewyn
I agree and don't think it would be problem to change the names of realm capitals/realms.And it would make the game much more realistic and interesting.

i agree with that :D :cheers: :cool: :cheers:

Pikeman
23-11-2003, 10:54
There would probably be some places (like Naples), where the capital matches the province name, though. But overall, I'd say that I agree with all you guys.

Elewyn
23-11-2003, 20:53
Yea, in italian states like Naples, Milan and Venice it's possible, but a town called Tuscany instead of Pisa, or Firenze,or town Bohemia/realm Prague, the samwe with Krakow/Little Poland, Wroclaw(Breslau)/Silesia and the most of central Europwean realms including the german ones (but not Cologne)

Arjenvs
24-11-2003, 01:04
Just like in Europa Universalis II....there the cities also do not have the same name as the province... Better historically correct...therefor better for this game...in my opinion

Pikeman
27-11-2003, 12:47
And I think that the devs should change it now! Sorry if I'm being impatient, but changing the names of cities/provinces shouldn't be hard! At least I'd like for Frank, Frujin or Nadine to make a comment why or why not this is possible/a good idea.:(

Arjenvs
27-11-2003, 18:10
Yes strange why there is still no comment....

Do you guys allready know how it will be....and what will that be??:angel:

Arjenvs
01-12-2003, 09:18
This is just to keep this thread unforgetten. I hope there would be an answer. But I don't want it immedietly...
just to have some

Be patient,Elewyn, be patient...:D

Don't want it to be forgotten too......:cheers:

Bora
05-12-2003, 09:16
Originally posted by Jorghan
Perhaps there are no province names, just city names. Though a city name of Bavaria still seems strange then.

well just cause we are talking about history but in the medieval, munich was a little village at the river isar,... ingolstadt or even landshut have been more important then munich.

Elewyn
05-12-2003, 09:22
Originally posted by Bora
well just cause we are talking about history but in the medieval, munich was a little village at the river isar,... ingolstadt or even landshut have been more important then munich.
But the most important were in my opinion Regensburg and Nürnberg. If the capital of Bavaria would be Munich, it would be the same like Bavaria-not better

Bora
05-12-2003, 09:34

sorry,... at that time regensburg and nünrberg where not part of bavaria ;)

Elewyn
05-12-2003, 09:48
sorry,... at that time regensburg and nünrberg where not part of bavaria ;)
Don't be that sure. Maybe they were not owned by bavarian dukes, but were the centres of the teritory and were inside(not Nürnberg-sorry-but Regensburg was inside Wittelsbach territories which were all around):

http://www.euratlas.com/big/big1200.htm

http://www.euratlas.com/big/big1300.htm

Emhyr var Emreis
11-12-2003, 10:11
Nice thread, good theme!!
And with new screenshots more and more actual. I hope that the devs will do something with it. The town of Bohemia, town of Bosnia, town of Bavaria, town of Austria etc. it seems strange. And I'm one of these who think it is not such a big problem for the devs to make another name for town and realm.
Pleas:angel:

Sir Jack
05-01-2004, 15:28
I also hope that the county name and the county capital name will be different. :rolleyes:

Can anyone of the mods give us a reply ?

Elewyn
06-01-2004, 23:34
I hope but the devs are still silent ;(

How to force them to say YES or NOT?

Arjenvs
06-01-2004, 23:46
I hope but the devs are still silent ;(

How to force them to say YES or NOT?

Just wait.....6 moths....:D ....

Gorgoroth
07-01-2004, 01:05
Just a little note:

Ive seen screenies with the Kingdom of Hungary, and the capital was Budapest. This should be corrected, since Buda and Pest merged in the 19th century!
So...Budapest should be renamed to Buda. :)