PDA

View Full Version : Rome total war

Pages : [1] 2 3

bombjay
29-08-2004, 09:59
Hi, i dont want to get flamed or anything but.....i see the release date has been put back to autum this means this game is going to directly compeat with Rome total war , being realistic for a second is there any real chance of this ? When this sort of game has already been done by medieval total war ? whats it got that Rome aint?

Angryminer
29-08-2004, 10:18
1.) Better grafics
2.) More diplomacy
3.) Faster battles
4.) Athmosphere
5.) Other ways to win beside fighting

Angryminer

KOSKnight
29-08-2004, 10:26
well i wouldnt say KoH has better graphics then R:TW but were all titled to our own opnions.

Diplomacy is actualy alot in R:TW now, in demo someone found out all the diplomacy options and there is alot.

Faster battle hehehe people think R:TW battles are fast aswell, we want em abit slower but all is good.

Also it aint called Total War for nothin :)

Also KoH has the Knights system, but R:TW has somthing close to it but there family members/governors.

but if your askin difference between MTW and KoH well theres alot, even though i like MTW id probly choose KoH.

If I had to choose between RTW and KoH id choose R:TW, but its all the matter of ones choosing. Both games will be great.

bombjay
29-08-2004, 23:04
Well angryminer im afraid i have to disagree with you about the graphics , i have the Rome demo and there is NO way KOH has better graphics , i am looking forward to it but it seems that by delaying the lauch we may get a better game but will any one notice cos we will all be playing Rome by then? When Rome comes out i will be out of the house like a shot to get it, when KOH comes out i will be on Ebay to get the best deal....that for me is the reality.Im not nocking it.It just seems like a daft time to release it . Still each to his own. :hello:

Cork2
29-08-2004, 23:14
2d looks better then 3d therefor KOH has better graphics.

timurlenk
29-08-2004, 23:22
Well angryminer im afraid i have to disagree with you about the graphics , i have the Rome demo and there is NO way KOH has better graphics , i am looking forward to it but it seems that by delaying the lauch we may get a better game but will any one notice cos we will all be playing Rome by then? When Rome comes out i will be out of the house like a shot to get it, when KOH comes out i will be on Ebay to get the best deal....that for me is the reality.Im not nocking it.It just seems like a daft time to release it . Still each to his own. :hello:

indeed, not the best release date.
but for me, i will buy koh.
i didnt like mediaeval total war - i didnt even download the demo od rome. im not interested... btw, i dodn tlike the graphics of rome - cold and sterile, dead and moldy - imho :cheers:

bombjay
30-08-2004, 00:10
Well 2d better than 3 d? for goodness sake dont tell the first person shooter fans that! hmmm.......cant see that at all myself,Moldy graphics on Rome !? what does that mean? to me the demo is crisp and vibrant , you can tell units apart they dont melt into a mass of 'is that an archer or a knight' you can zoom right into the action ,zoom out ,look behind stuff etc.You should at least try it so you can critize from a postion of knowledge.Im allways wary of any one who says ' never tried it, dont want to ' i will play any thing to see what its like, just so i know. Im sure KOH will be fun but it just seems stratagie games have moved on,I it looks like it would of been great 2 years ago but now im not so sure.I really like realisam, i hate that whole Empires/ praetorians et all thing were arches fire endlessly into troops without them falling ,you just see the other troops healthbar going down, you either hit them or you dont! its hard to swing a sword with arrows sticking out! i hope KOH doesnt feature this sort of thing, I also hope you can have proper size units, on the screen shots some of the groups look awfully small! i want to see vast swathes of troops not isolated little groups meant to represent 'an army'mind you i still enjoy stronghold in a 486 /pentium 2 kind of way.I just have this fear it will sink into the realms of obscurity and the ' not bad but Rome is so much better ' type of thing .Ah well let the sales figures decide! thanks for taking time to reply! :bday:

Noldy
30-08-2004, 09:59
2d looks better then 3d therefor KOH has better graphics.

How can you say that???! With 3D you can fully zoom in, you can rotate and the amount of detail you ca apply is almost endless. 2D will never get the realism of 3D engine, thats why I would like to see KOH 2 in 3D.

bombjay
30-08-2004, 10:35
How can you say that???! With 3D you can fully zoom in, you can rotate and the amount of detail you ca apply is almost endless. 2D will never get the realism of 3D engine, thats why I would like to see KOH in 3D.

Yep , dont tell EA games 2 d is better cos they are just switching the best selling computer game of all time 'The Sims ' to 3d! lol

Maltro
30-08-2004, 11:01
In my opinion, Units and game design are not as nice and detail as 2D games. Maybe an exception: “soldiers heroes of ww2” is really marvellous but there is not a lot of unit. For a strategic game like KOH, I prefer a nice and detail 2D game with a lot of units than a 3D game like “Lords of the realms 3”…

timurlenk
30-08-2004, 12:13
Moldy graphics on Rome !? what does that mean? to me the demo is crisp and vibrant , you can tell units apart they dont melt into a mass of 'is that an archer or a knight' you can zoom right into the action ,zoom out ,look behind stuff etc.You should at least try it so you can critize from a postion of knowledge.Im allways wary of any one who says ' never tried it, dont want to '

ive tried the mediaeval total war demo - and i did not like it. from rome i only know many screenshots - hey make me think of mediaeval and i dont like em. its just that easy. so i talk from a position of knowledge :cheers:

the last game with 3d i used to play was panzers. great game, but i never rotate (what for? to lose overview? :rolleyes: ) and i never zoom (what for? to lose overview? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

imo, 3d today is not able to show as beautiful graphics as 2d - i guess in 2 or 3 years its possible. dont forget, not everybody can afford to be always up to date with their pcs.

and if anybody prefers 3d - fine, great, wonderful. but let me prefer 2d :cheers:

Jarlabanke
30-08-2004, 12:39
The totalwar demos have so far only included the battle portion of the games...

bombjay
30-08-2004, 14:50
[QUOTE=timurlenk]ive tried the mediaeval total war demo - and i did not like it. from rome i only know many screenshots - hey make me think of mediaeval and i dont like em. its just that easy. so i talk from a position of knowledge :cheers:

If you get the chance just try the Rome demo chum, then decided.But you are quite right, if you prefer 2d then thats fine , in your case 2d is better than 3D. 8)

Angryminer
30-08-2004, 15:01
I'm also a KoH-Fan because I don't like 3D-battles. Either I my decision is based on subjective feelings or 3D is inferior to 2D :go: . Anyway, R:TW looks much too battle-orientated.

Angryminer

Cork2
30-08-2004, 19:34
Well 2d better than 3 d? for goodness sake dont tell the first person shooter fans that! hmmm.......cant see that at all myself,Moldy graphics on Rome !? what does that mean? to me the demo is crisp and vibrant , you can tell units apart they dont melt into a mass of 'is that an archer or a knight' you can zoom right into the action ,zoom out ,look behind stuff etc.You should at least try it so you can critize from a postion of knowledge.

I wasn't critizing anyone you *insert bad word*. I was stating my opinion and i think 2d is better then 3d in rts game, for the exception of ROME: Total war. FPS is beter in 3d. Now silence mortal befor i will smite you with my thumb and turn you into constipated Chees.

Lighthope
30-08-2004, 21:34
I tried to d/l Rome: TW today. After waiting in the queue and all that d/l time, the file was corrupted. So all that time wasted. Thanks, Fileplanet!

Well, I'll have another go tomorrow or so and see how it is.

Though, for me, the Roman era doesn't interest me, so regardless I still am more prone to KOH...assuming the demo is good.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "Hello," lied the politician.

--== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS: http://www.dwad.net

--== Give performance reviews of your boss: http://www.rateyourboss.org

Noldy
30-08-2004, 21:41
Try this (http://www.legiontotalwar.com/zonelord11x/RTWUSDemo.zip) link.

bombjay
30-08-2004, 22:51
I wasn't critizing anyone you *insert bad word*. I was stating my opinion and i think 2d is better then 3d in rts game, for the exception of ROME: Total war. FPS is beter in 3d. Now silence mortal befor i will smite you with my thumb and turn you into constipated Chees.

I know chum , i was just poking a bit of gentle fun, besides i like the idea of being turned into cheese, esspecially constipated cheese!!! :cheers:

Lighthope
31-08-2004, 22:26
Try this (http://www.legiontotalwar.com/zonelord11x/RTWUSDemo.zip) link.

Link didn't work. I think this is the updated one for that site:

http://www.totalwarcenter.com/downloads/db/?mod=15

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I almost had a psychic girlfriend, but she left me before we met.

Lighthope
01-09-2004, 00:45
Okay, played the Rome: TW demo. Wasn't impressed.

Why?

Because the demo (and listen closely, KOH) didn't show me enough of the game. All it did was play a single battle. Now, my understanding is that there was supposed to be more to R:TW than just fighting. But I didn't see any of that. It wasn't in the demo, so I have no clue as to how that will be in the full version. And that scores negative points to me.

When making a demo, you have to show what the game is about. And if the game is more than just fighting, you have to show more than fighting.

So when KOH demo comes out, I hope I'll be able to do more than just take out an enemy.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - I came real close to seeing Elvis once, but my shovel broke.