PDA

View Full Version : Ralm names and spelling mistakes...

Pages : [1] 2

Finellach
30-08-2004, 22:10
I was once more looking at the political view screen as this is the most interesting screen since it shows realms.
To my surprise there is no Swabia?! Instead there is Pfalz?!! Wasn't Palz a mere county in the middle age? IMO this realm should be better renamed into Swabia.

Also I have noticed Aquitaine is wrongly spelled. It is not "Acquitaine" but 'AQUITAINE' or even better 'AQUITANIA'.
Also Kurland sounds to me too much german, the proper english name for this realm(also was a duchy in 16-18 century) should be 'COURLAND'.
Also Orlean should be Orleans and Bretagne should be Brittany(in english).

So from that small screen I see many mistakes and the corrections should be:

Pfalz ==> Swabia
Acquitaine ==> Aquitania
Orlean ==> Orleans
Istria ==> Croatia
Kurland ==> Courland
Sylezia ==> Silesia
Bretagne ==> Brittany
Panonia ==> Slavonia(because the realm of Panonia corresponds with Slavonia in middle age).

Jarlabanke
30-08-2004, 22:34
Gotland-Götaland/Gotaland

Finellach, I hope you meant to misspell realm :p

Finellach
30-08-2004, 22:57
Yes, funny that I mispelled the name of the thread in which I complain about spelling mistakes :D

Nike
31-08-2004, 08:31
Just one question: What's "ralm" in the name of the thread? ;)

Tira_Missu
31-08-2004, 13:09
Should be realm I guess

Elvain
08-09-2004, 11:15
Pfalz ==> Swabia
Acquitaine ==> Aquitania
Orlean ==> Orleans
Istria ==> Croatia
Kurland ==> Courland
Sylezia ==> Silesia
Bretagne ==> Brittany
Panonia ==> Slavonia(because the realm of Panonia corresponds with Slavonia in middle age).
some of those are good corrections, some were discussed already and I think that only those are necessery:
Acquitaine ==> Aquitania or Aquitaine(first is latin, second is french and I guess also english :))
Orlean ==> Orleans!!!
Istria ==> Croatia!!
Kurland ==> Courland
Sylezia ==> Silesia!!

PS: I agree with that Götalůand thing also, suggested by Jarlabanke

PPS: realm is basic region I gues, a realm.. we use it here for a long time, don't we?

DoS_TRUCide
08-09-2004, 11:28
I confirm Acquitaine is false , it is Aquitaine .
Orlean ----->Orléans
Bretagne is correct
Normandy ------> Normandie
Genoa --------> Genova
Burgundy------->I think Bourgogne

And The province of Lorraine isn't at the north of Alsace but at the west!

DoS_TRUCide
08-09-2004, 11:32
And Orleans is at the same place as Paris! Is this normal?

Finellach
08-09-2004, 17:38
Well first of all I was talking about spelling mistakes in english version thus TRUCide your corrections are for French version only. And I think that names should be all spelled in english or they should all be as it is their name originally.

Also I think that Swabia MUST be in!!
Pfalz was and is a small town and was never nothing more than a mere and small county. Furthermore it is in place where Swabia should be.

Regarding Alsace I think it should be better to rename it in Champagne and Chamapgne into Ille de France or Francia.

DoS_TRUCide
08-09-2004, 19:23
Well first of all I was talking about spelling mistakes in english version thus TRUCide your corrections are for French version only. And I think that names should be all spelled in english or they should all be as it is their name originally.

Also I think that Swabia MUST be in!!
Pfalz was and is a small town and was never nothing more than a mere and small county. Furthermore it is in place where Swabia should be.

Regarding Alsace I think it should be better to rename it in Champagne and Chamapgne into Ille de France or Francia.

Oh oh oh !!! Ile-de-France is in same place as Orléans , Champagne is at good place but th east champagne in the game is Lorraine ! Which shambles !!!! Lol
:sick:

Finellach
08-09-2004, 22:39
IMO Lorraine is where it should be.

Pioneer
09-09-2004, 02:22
Familiarity and some authenticity should guide the names. It means that when something happens somewhere on the map there is less difficulty finding it. There will probably be some sort of hyperlinking on the event announcement but if a player is unable to check it, having a familiar name means that he can get a sense of its significance. Is is nearby and worthy of attention or far away and possible to ignore? The names be it Swabia or Croatia, chosen are therefore fairly reasonable.

DoS_TRUCide
09-09-2004, 12:25
http://www.vdiest.nl/images/Europa/France/france.gif

look the difference !

Finellach
09-09-2004, 21:10
http://www.vdiest.nl/images/Europa/France/france.gif

look the difference !

And then compare to this here (http://www.knights-of-honor.net//gfx/screenshots/scr_koh_0175.jpg) and you will see that Lorraine is excatly where it should be. Alsace is in a wrong place and I already agreed on that.

And btw. on that map you posted is clear that Orleans and Ile-de-France(Francia) are not the same thing.

Perhaps a good idea would be to rename Alsace(in KoH) in Franche-Comte.

DoS_TRUCide
09-09-2004, 21:29
Non non non et NON!!!! Alsace is in good place it's Lorraine , too at north . And Franche-comté is at the limit of Alsace and Burgondy. And Alsace is too big .

HappyAdolf
09-09-2004, 21:34
Let's hope they'll make the German towns in their original positions...

DoS_TRUCide
09-09-2004, 21:46
yes , there too many error on this map .

HappyAdolf
09-09-2004, 21:56
Hope they will fix this in KoH2 or an Addon :go:

Angryminer
09-09-2004, 21:58
The map is not intended to be precise!

Angryminer

Finellach
09-09-2004, 21:58
Non non non et NON!!!! Alsace is in good place it's Lorraine , too at north . And Franche-comté is at the limit of Alsace and Burgondy. And Alsace is too big .

As I said I don't agree with you. Alsace is way to the south. Lorraine is approximately where it should be. I know it looks it's more misplaced on that screen but it is because it's layed down a bit.