PDA

View Full Version : Formation on the castle

contactkoh
04-09-2004, 16:23
I noticed from the screenshots that units have the same formation as they are on the ground.
Wouldn't they make a different formation when they are on the castle? For example, what about a formation where everybody stay as close to the edge of the castle in a single line? (rather than forming a triangular or rectagular formations which really doenst make sense when you are on the castle trying to defend and shoot below)
My point is, units should be able to line up in a single line against edge of the castle to defend the castle, not make a rectangular formations.

Also, managing too many groups of solders seems very hard to do & confusing..
How about allowing groups of archers and footmen to combine and form a larger army with one click? (for example, look at the formations in the game: Nemesis of roman empire)

Also, when are you going to post some videos of In-game plays? (I'm kinda tired of waiting.. although I admit this game is going to be really great)

Noldy
04-09-2004, 19:40
- If you dont want the triangle or rectangle, you can change the formation to single line, i suppose.
- you can team forces up (I presume) by Ctr + 1,2,... then you can select a team with just one click! (This is in most RTS games, so i think it is in here too)

Maltro
04-09-2004, 23:00
I noticed from the screenshots that units have the same formation as they are on the ground.
Wouldn't they make a different formation when they are on the castle? For example, what about a formation where everybody stay as close to the edge of the castle in a single line? (rather than forming a triangular or rectagular formations which really doenst make sense when you are on the castle trying to defend and shoot below)
My point is, units should be able to line up in a single line against edge of the castle to defend the castle, not make a rectangular formations.

It is EXACTLY what I was thinking... And the only problem I have found in that game. But it was too difficult to translate this idea for me in English!
Screenshots are greats but when we can see a rectangular (confusing) formation on the walls, it is ridiculous... that is my point of view... Line up in a single line against edge of the castle is THE most realist formation it could be. I hope Noldy would be right but I am sure it won't be possible to line up units on a tower... (maybe on a wall?... if units will be able to be on the wall (covered way?) What a shame...

About formation, I have found that on another forum (posted by angryminer):
"To alter the formation you can move the mouse left or right (while holding the left mousebutton) to change the direction of the formation. By moving the mouse up or down you can change the density of intended formation."

It is a great option but I don't think it work's with the garrison units.

Somebody have an idea about that?.......... if you have understood what I mean of course! :)

Finellach
04-09-2004, 23:08
I think that you have a good point there. I think perhaps archers should have a unique formation called "wall formation" in which they would form a line in which they are standing close to the wall ready to shoot off their arrows at the attackers. That shouldn't be too difficult to make,right? ;)

Don Enrico
06-09-2004, 10:15
Another possibility would be that units on top of a building (wall, tower, castle esplanade) line up along the walls automatically unless you tell them different.

But don't you think we're quite late with these suggestions...?

Noldy
06-09-2004, 13:51
Never give up ;)

elvisthecat
06-09-2004, 15:27
Will we be able to have sword units stick their swords through the holes in the castle gate and attack the invading units?

HappyAdolf
06-09-2004, 17:18
Nope.
If it is possible, then only with pikemen, swords are not long enough, and I never heard of such a tactic being used in any battle in the Middle Ages.
And I don't think the Engine is capable of that ;)

Lancer
10-09-2004, 00:17
I hope that pole-arm soldiers can push ladders away, as they did in that era.

That was fun in Stronghold, watching the enemy trying to scale your walls while your speamen poked them off.

HappyAdolf
10-09-2004, 11:46
Yup, it was ^^
That would indeed be cool.
A question: Can all melee units kick ladders down?

Haegemon
11-09-2004, 04:05
There are line, double line, rectangle and triangle formations confirmed. Maybe they added some more.

the knightly sword
11-09-2004, 16:50
it would be cool if you could place archers on your wall ween your city is assaulted
so the enemy laddermen are shot down :)

HappyAdolf
11-09-2004, 16:55
Yup, you can, just like in Stronghold.

the knightly sword
12-09-2004, 17:38
i have heard that before but im not sure because it was long ago stupid me :)

HappyAdolf
12-09-2004, 18:03
No need to say you are stupid.
Now everyone who forgot it can read the answer here :)