PDA

View Full Version : The Knights in battle

CustodianV131
10-09-2004, 16:01
The last new unit is the knight and his guards.

Are all knights present represented by unit of Knights & Guards on the field of battle. IE also the spies and merchants or only marshals?

Does it mean that if a knight & guards dies in battle you've lost that knight?

Are there also Arabic looking knights and guards?

Can you chose to let him engage in battle and does that give special bonuses. IE if your troops are within a certain range of the knight they gain the bonus. (maybe even the bonuses given by the marshal skills.
OR
are the skill bonuses (those that influence battle directly) given to the army regardless of where he fights/resides during the battle?

Angryminer
10-09-2004, 18:11
1. Marshalls are the only type of knight that can show up on the battlefield. Thus they are the only one who can be represented by the "Knight and Guard".
2. If the Marshall is killed in battle the battle and the Marshall is lost. Yes.
3. I don't know about arabic looking knights.
4. The skills of the marshall come into calculation wherever the knight is on the battlefield. But the units will have an improved morale if they see that the knight is fighting with them. This is especially true if the knight is the king.

Angryminer

CustodianV131
10-09-2004, 19:10
Ok, so only the marshals fight for real. Makes sense!

Ah great so there is a sort of double bonus. IE the normal marshal bonuses and a morale bonus for units that are fighting near him!

Very nice idea!

Will be hard not to reload the game if you lose a marshal in battle. All the time and energy plus the wonderful skills lost in one fell sweep!
Wonder or they'll have an ironman (ie no reloads - game saves directly after battles and other important happenings) mode.

Bit amazed you could not answer the question about the Arabian knights Angryminer ;)

Angryminer
10-09-2004, 19:19
No developer ever said a word about arabian knights.
However, I also suggested this thing you call "ironman mode". But it won't be too hard to resist because one dead marshall really doesn't throw you back that much, though I too tend to reload savegames instead of bearing the pain and looking ahead ;) .

Angryminer

Noldy
10-09-2004, 21:08
Thats actually a form of cheating :p :silly:

Largefry07
10-09-2004, 23:17
Thats actually a form of cheating :p :silly:
No it's not. It's just using the game's design to your advantage. :cheers:

HappyAdolf
10-09-2004, 23:19
Like using the bugs in Daggerfall for your purpose :D

timurlenk
10-09-2004, 23:26
No it's not. It's just using the game's design to your advantage. :cheers:

really good games allow mistakes and there is no need to save / load.
eh, its a pc game, not a console one 8)

Vengaul
11-09-2004, 00:11
Thats why I love my PC....

But there are some games with "No return" mode, like when you lose something important, or you die you can't return.

Although I never found one...

CustodianV131
11-09-2004, 00:18
Aye, of course you can just promise yourself not to reload, but sometimes its hard to not give in to the temptation!

And i do promise/think that if your "6 skills at stage 3" Marshal dies in a very close fought battle, that you'll be tempted!

I know some of the Warlords games have ironmode and there are more the feature it. I must say that playing in that way does at a extra level of excitement... and sometimes frustration! :D