PDA

View Full Version : troop directional formation

Lord Nicko
24-11-2003, 03:23
Will there be options for Group Troop Formations?
eg..
- Ability to face your Group in a certain direction.
- Close combat formation.
- Spaced formation etc.

Jerome
24-11-2003, 10:28
looking at some screenshots; it seems that formations are indeed possible.

i assume (and hope) that a variety of formations will be possible (line, column, wig, etc)

:angel:

Frank Fay
24-11-2003, 11:20
Yes, there will be formations with additional commands like wheeling, facing or tight / untight formation. Formations are very important :)

Arjenvs
25-11-2003, 10:51
Are there quick-keys??

Henrik
20-12-2003, 06:02
Originally posted by Frank Fay
Yes, there will be formations with additional commands like wheeling, facing or tight / untight formation. Formations are very important :)

I'm sure happy to learn this, cause this screenshot (http://www.knights-of-honor.net//english/screenshot.php?screenshot=0002&all=0003|0002|0001#) did sceare me a little - no one would EVER send in the cavelery on to an enemy in this manner.

I also think that if I've understand you correctly, then forexample a row of soldiers facing South, would turn to a new direction by rotating the row on an axis which lies in the center of the row.

To say this in another word a row of soldiers will turn like they did in AOK - correct ?

Frank Fay
20-12-2003, 09:10
I'm sure happy to learn this, cause this screenshot did sceare me a little - no one would EVER send in the cavelery on to an enemy in this manner.

This screenshot is very old, I guess April 2003 when I remember right. So, don't worry :rolleyes: At that point a lot of things were not implemented or not ready by that time.

I also think that if I've understand you correctly, then forexample a row of soldiers facing South, would turn to a new direction by rotating the row on an axis which lies in the center of the row.

No that would be "wheeling". In KoH the soldiers of a group turn around their own axis (each unit of its own) if you want them to face differently.

Bora
20-12-2003, 13:19
think we should not be worried,... today there is no real time strategy game without formations

Henrik
20-12-2003, 18:18
Originally posted by Bora
think we should not be worried,... today there is no real time strategy game without formations

No i'm not too worried - i've "still" got my fate to the devs - also since the screenshot which Frank mentioned is that old then we have NOTHING to worry about.

But i do think that we as players has an "obligation" to ask just about every stupid question which we can come up with, cause we may end up with asking a question to a problem which the devs haven't thought of and then they can correct this - the advantages for them is that they would avoid a lot of whinning and complaing when the game is released, and then there is really nothing to do about it other than releasing a 40 Gb patch to make it right ! - ( i know i was exaggerating back there :D )

Cork2
20-12-2003, 19:37
Lol 40 Gb patch. I have never seen a patch that size. Have you?

kowd
22-12-2003, 15:01
Lol 40 Gb patch. I have never seen a patch that size. Have you?

Maybe the game wa scalled "Earth simulation 2048 Deluxe"

or Henrik meant 40MB:D

Destroyer
26-12-2003, 21:04
Will there be a formation... like in braveheart where the troops are dissconcentrating enemy units by showing their backs...:rolleyes:

Frujin
27-12-2003, 12:23
There are formations, quick keys and everything you can expect. There is also Right Mouse button click and drag feature which allows you to issue command together with formation change, direction and facing parameters at once. VERY handy!

Henrik
27-12-2003, 14:28
Originally posted by Frujin
There are formations, quick keys and everything you can expect. There is also Right Mouse button click and drag feature which allows you to issue command together with formation change, direction and facing parameters at once. VERY handy!

GREAT ! - it seem to me that you and your crew has thought of everything :)

In my "world" there are only to things which are important when leading an army:

1. Proper control of the units i.e when you order them to do something they do it
2. The units pathfind abilities

Frank Fay
30-12-2003, 11:39
what about the overview? Not important for you?

Henrik
30-12-2003, 13:41
Originally posted by Frank Fay
what about the overview? Not important for you?

aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh ! - that one did REALLY hurt ;)

I'll re-phrase my wishes

In my "world" there are only to things which are important when leading an army:

1. Proper control of the units i.e when you order them to do something they do it
2. The units pathfind abilities
3. a proper overview during the battle............and in the rest of the game too - is this good enough for you Frank ;)

:D :D :D

Frank Fay
30-12-2003, 15:06
Would have surprised me, if it wouldn't be important :cool: