PDA

View Full Version : Basic Strat For Battle.

needamir
27-09-2004, 07:39
Allright boys. U dont need to know german in order to win wars.

my suggestion is to set aside a light cavalry to strike at unaware archers. when units, especially archers are trying to escape, cavalry absolutely rips them to pieces. its wonderful.

Noldy
27-09-2004, 09:31
I use my cavalry to sneak up to the genaral, then i cut him to pieces ;)

William Blake
27-09-2004, 09:39
But keep in mind that:

- Cavalry (even charging) is not that fast to catch fleeeing enemy soon. So either move you cavalry deep behind enemy lines and wait or keep it very near to main battle or you wont catch a thing.

- You might need that cavalry near your marchal then enemy outflanks you bad. And he will 8). And it will right at the time you have no fresh men, no arrows left and your perfect battle order is a total mess.

- You have to watch you cavalry if its away from the main battle, ai is a bit better operating dozen of units all other the field, so time to time you will find you cavalry dead if you dont pay attention.

- Killing all enemy is not the goal, the goal is to win a battle, so dont chase every single fleeing unit, but concetrate you strikes on enemy weak or still standing troops so you will make them run all other the map. Not to mention that 2 units of feudal knights can flank enemy army and catch his marchal in no time and crash some possible guard units on the way.

If only you think that you cant waste enemy army easily go for his marchal with you cavalry, it will probably you only chance.

HappyAdolf
27-09-2004, 16:07
When the marshal comes into the middle of the battle, I charge all my units on him and when hes dead I won even if the enemy still has full troops.
And protect your marshal!!!

Sir Turylon
27-09-2004, 21:35
The best strategy is not to have a strategy. ;) think about that one real quick.

In most strategies, one side will eventually try to exploit the other side's weakness. The plan you would want is for the exploiter to be yourself, but you can never tell. Personally, I'm more of a delayed response enveloper (and very good at it too..hehe). I'll set up a line, fairly strong position, then wait to see how the enemy reacts. If they rush full force into my line, I will envelop and bring forces to bear from behind as my strong line pulls back slowly in a feignt retreat.

few strategic positions:

strong line of pikemen and archers arranged in a straight line with small angular projections towards the rear. concealed skirmishers along the flanks of this line, with 2 reserve units of infantry to shore up the pikemen and or provide flanking forces to turn one side of attacking forces.

Skirmishers placed in 2 rows in front of archers. Archers will hold fire till enemy is roughly 50 yards from first skirmisher line. First line of skirmishers is placed 150 yards in front of archers. Second line of skirmishers holds ground roughly 50 yards behind first line. 2 groups of cavalry are place on either side of the archers with a reargaurd of pikemen to counter any horse that can possibly be trying to engage via rear of lines.

Archers place in 2 lines, 50 yards in front of main line. They will shoot and retreat 5 yards at a time, thus engaging attacking forces at fair intervals. main line of infantry are formed in a wedge shaped inverted V... or ^ form. they will drive concave away, pulling enemy forces into a V shaped entrapment. Cavalry will envelop by swinging around one flank and cutting off support elements and retreat.

The Knight
29-10-2004, 16:01
When I'm attack a town, I always put ladders on the wall, send all my archers up (that's around 6 units most time's longbowarchers) and shout the enemy before they have reached the walls. The most time's they're death before they reached me. :)

3CHUCK_CRO
28-11-2004, 09:54
Deadly simple- all 9 slots filled with archers.
Marshall skills Master Archery and Ballistic.
If u wont more firepower buy 4 ballistas(level 2 engineering needed).
All other units type are underpowered...
This is for SP only ,due lack of any AI. :)

Lord Elric
28-11-2004, 17:15
My tactics is..
4 units of ranged unites, 4 units of heavy cavalary (feudal knights or cataphracts) and one unit of some heavy infantry (preferable helbardiers) or another heavy cavalary.
I use some modification of Cannae tactics. I put my archers in the front line, so they can do maximum damage before enemy closes in. 4 of my cavalary are in wedge formation on the flanks, so the archers and the cavalary form some kind of semi circle. And the infantry/the last cavalary unit behind the archers and the marshal close by. All in stand ground mode, because otherwise they change their formation when another regiment crosses the same tiles. When the enemy gets close enough (of course they all aim for the marshal, because of the AI, so I use him to control the enemy :))_ and lure them in the center of my formation. When the enemy starts to charge my archers I order them to run behind the infantry, and then its easy to charge them with my cavalary from the flanks and from behind.. All while raining fire arrows on the enemy heads (only with expert archery and ballistics). There are rarely any survivors.

Arcador
30-11-2004, 08:27
Recently I found that most of my casualties are to friendly fire than enemy troops.