PDA

View Full Version : formations

Wind Arrow
02-10-2004, 11:01
Which formation do you prefer for your infantry? (swordsman, highlanders itc.) Wedge, square or line...
I notice sometimes that only few of my soldiners are fighting enemy troops while in wegde, so maybe I should use line or square formation more often?
what are the differences between formations (attack, defense bonus; infantry/cavalary/archers)?

Arcador
02-10-2004, 11:19
I don't know too. What I know is that behind units are not fighting untill the front ones are dead. (depends on enemy size) More concentrated squads fight better since the behind act at more priority or something like that. If you make the spreadest of all formations, the last units in the squad are often staying for too long behind.
Line formation is good for guarding.

William Blake
02-10-2004, 17:42
If you dont have any enemy who can hit your unit flanks or back - use line to maximize number of you soldiers in the unit who actually fight. If you need deal maximum melee damage with one given unit use line.

If you have tighter formation and enemy is spreaded, or enemy has more units so you unit flanks can be hit - use quare for melee, because you men well guard flanks way better.

If you charge or want to split enemy unit, especially in not very tight line - charge in wedge. But once you hit and penetrate inside change formation to square. If enemy runs, change to line. In general wedge seems to maximize charge bonus directly or inderectly.

If no enemy archers are present use loose formations to catch and envelop enemy unit, but tighten as much as possible such that you will have his flanks just a bit enveloped.

If enemy "provides" archer fire, avoid squares and tight formations - that will minimize you losses. Best way to approach enemy archer unit if max loosed line.

All that is true concidering one unit. In a battle you sometimes use "wrong" formation for one unit to archive better results for the army.

Arcador
02-10-2004, 20:35
thanks a lot :)