PDA

View Full Version : Does Knights of Honor delete Daemon Tools "Daemon.dll"?

Pages : [1] 2

Lasivian
04-10-2004, 00:28
I have heard from several sources that Knights of Honor specifically disables Daemon Tools by deleting "Daemon.dll" during it's installation.

Is this true?

Thank you.

Cork2
04-10-2004, 04:45
this has been asked before and knights of honor doesn't delet anything.

Lord_Guilherme
04-10-2004, 04:51
If my memory is not wrong, devs didn't say anything about it.

Cork2
04-10-2004, 04:54
About the issue. Please, understand that nor BSS, nor SF are deleting anything from your computers. Period. If something like that happens the only possible way is copyright protection to do that without even making BSS/SF aware of that. As Frank explained SF is using commersial, licensed copy protection, btw the same as used in many other games. SF will investigate if it's true etc tomorrow.

this is what frujin said in blooduks thread.

Nadine Knobloch
04-10-2004, 15:32
Guys please don't bother me with details since I'm what you call a "n00b" regarding such things but here's what a colleague of mine told me:

"Knights of Honor does not delete any DLLs.
This is caused by Daemon-Tools itself, if it is running while being unlocked."

Hope this clears things up a bit...

Noldy
04-10-2004, 18:02
So just exit deamon tools while installation?

BLOODUK
04-10-2004, 18:08
Its rubbish ive just seen for myself , daemon tools works fine although i do have it turned off but turning it back on even after install the DLL is there

Insaneboy
04-10-2004, 18:13
good thing I use Alcohol 120% :)

BLOODUK
04-10-2004, 18:17
good thing I use Alcohol 120% :)

Doesnt matter... i havent seen it remove anything and yes i have retail

varia
05-10-2004, 05:49
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10603

read it, worth it :D
if its true, they gonna sue them

"This game should be blacklisted as malware in virus definitions."
HAHAHA

engesa
05-10-2004, 09:54
About the issue. Please, understand that nor BSS, nor SF are deleting anything from your computers. Period. If something like that happens the only possible way is copyright protection to do that without even making BSS/SF aware of that. As Frank explained SF is using commersial, licensed copy protection, btw the same as used in many other games. SF will investigate if it's true etc tomorrow.
That's a bull**** remark. Ofcourse BSS/SF isn't aware of deleting anything from your computer because it's possible illegal! If Daemon Tools or any other company that distributes software wich will be deleted when installing KoH find this out it is very well possible that a lawsuit will follow.

For me, i would like to know if installing KoH could make my pc disfunction (by deleting/changing files needed for legal purchased software) because if it does I will return my copy to the shop and i will demand a refund. The problem is that I can't test this without opening the package.

BLOODUK
05-10-2004, 11:15
Sunflowers - statement is simple untrue. We for sure DON'T delete our own .dll

It's rather a question of good behaviour to clearly notify the users of this mistake - this chance was NOT taken by sunflowers, instead they betray their legal customers.
So it's our turn now to tell you that we are in NO way involved in this.

The .dll-issue is a DIRECT result of their copy-protection. The same can for sure be said about the unusual behaviour to remove Patin-Couffin-Driver.
For sure it isn't legal to simple delete/rename foreign files - I hope no one is affected by system-crashes!

I can confirm this strange behaviour, tested with KnightsofHonor and
lock.dll-function. After message "please unlock daemon.dll" appears,
the protection seems to remove the daemon.dll

====

on bluesnews :angry:

piotrusw
05-10-2004, 18:21
Yes it delete Daemon.dll and more, you will have problem remove Daemon Tools or fresh install Daemon, because Daemon installer will send message of error and will exit. In simple way you can’t remove or install Daemon without dealing with registry. :angry: I strongly recommend uninstall Daemon first or don’t play demo KoH. :nono: I got hope that this stupid protection will be remove in full version, or I will wait for crack before buying this game. :sick:

kabo
06-10-2004, 03:44
Yes it delete Daemon.dll and more, you will have problem remove Daemon Tools or fresh install Daemon, because Daemon installer will send message of error and will exit. In simple way you can’t remove or install Daemon without dealing with registry. :angry: I strongly recommend uninstall Daemon first or don’t play demo KoH. :nono: I got hope that this stupid protection will be remove in full version, or I will wait for crack before buying this game. :sick:

I am also in the same position. I just received the game today (I am a US player and I imported it from the UK) and am contemplating returning the game. I will not support any game, regardless of how good it is, when they have this kind of virus-like activity to them. I sincerely hope BSS or SF investigates this. And if found true, offer an apology and remove this activity with some sort of downloadable installer or something similar.

As it stands now, I have a new and unopened copy of Knights of Honor that is pending return.

eobet
06-10-2004, 10:54
The other thread about the daemon tools issue also said this:

Futuremore, the game requires a "burning software clean" system. So what does this mean for us? Is it legal to force customers to uninstall software?

I don't care that much about the daemon tools issue (deleting a dll and causing system instability is BAD, though, but not many use that program, I think), but what in god's name is the reason for the above, if it is true?

I create and move around huge pictures on my computer, and if I couldn't have burning software for DVD-RW discs installed, I couldn't work on it.

As I've said on another forum, if you have important (work related) stuff on your computer, you can't risk buying a PC game today, because you never know what it will do to your computer. I guess consoles are the only way to be safe today.

The last three games I bought were independently published on the internet, and if I have a problem with them, I can talk to the developers directly, and get a patch within days or weeks.

The role of the publisher on PC is over. Independent games are the future.

Webmaster
06-10-2004, 11:08
"burning software clean" doens't mean a nero, winoncd or any similar burning application !!!
i have nero on me workstation at home and KoH doesn't bother about it.

BLOODUK
06-10-2004, 11:36
Webmaster ... i think they mean software like

CLONECD/ALCOHOL/DAEMON TOOLS

especially alc and daemon as they can run images

stainless
06-10-2004, 11:46

what are you talking about?
there is NO protection in the demo...

Arcador
06-10-2004, 11:51
Good news -
http://forum.sunflowers.de/showthread.php?p=60829#post60829

piotrusw
06-10-2004, 14:31
what are you talking about?
there is NO protection in the demo...

If there is NO protection in demo, why I have to unlock my daemon.dll when playing demo KoH? :sick: