PDA

View Full Version : Crusades: A nice touch

Crushyerbones
07-10-2004, 00:23
*Demo*

Recently, the pope has comanded me to start a crusade against an arab kingdom (Fatmadis? I think). I really like the fact that declining lowers our "church" rank (altough I don't know the exact consequences) and accepting makes us lose out best army. A nice touch indeed.

The only problem is, if a crusade is assigned to you, it can happen in the worst of times (I was once about to defend a castle when my defending marshall was called), and it mostly feels like a burden, instead of a blessing.

I only have one suggestion, in case a sequel/expansion will be made: Make crusades affect other countries. It would be nice nice if each faction could contribute each time there was a crusade! Only make it worth the cost and make the contributing kindgoms win a lot of money and respect if they suceed. How about making a "temporary Silk route" for the country(es) that helped in the creation of a new kingdom? :hello:

And since were talking about crusades: What does declining crusades do? What about pillaging?

Sir Turylon
07-10-2004, 08:05
You do not control your knight while he is on crusade.. unless you recall him. I had my best one taken while he was about to assault the last Swedish province... grrr...

If you decline, you are excomunicated. hehe. (no joke.)

Other kingdoms are also called upon for crusades.. they mainly end in disaster though.

Seems like the Crusades feature was just thrown in to provide something nice for the Pope to do. Otherwise, it's meaningless and might end in losing your best marshall.

Recap: there really is no point in the crusade feature in KoH outside of the pope being able to declare war on anyone without losing kingdom power. I just finished a game in demo where the Papacy was ranked #1 They had well over 3,000 gold income, over 70,000 in gold.. and kept excomunicating people then declaring crusades against them. "Oh look, the pope has his eye on Bretagne again." "How do you know that?" "He just excomunicated Phillip and declared crusade against France."

worst thing is you lose control of the marshall... If you had control of him.. the crusade might have a chance to win..

Crusades: Random generated events which take away a major portion of your military power. :nono:

HexHammer
07-10-2004, 08:55
I consider it a nice and plausible way to keep people from growing overpowerd :cheers:

Martinus
07-10-2004, 10:48
Personally, I think crusades are a great feature, something that Crusader Kings (for those who played that game) should have had in the first place.

DocSander
07-10-2004, 11:52
Well, what effect does it have when you've accepted a crusade en shortly hereafter you recall your knight...

Seems you lose your army, but does it have any effect on your diplomatic relationships like it does when declining the crusade?

KROM
07-10-2004, 12:06
Hm. Nice thing if your own cleric is the pope. Then YOU excommunicate others and start crusades on them. If that isn't funny... :D

Crushyerbones
07-10-2004, 13:29
I once conquered an Arab province while on a crusade... Those crusaders are very strong... Defeated huge arabian armies on their path... (Yes, you can control them during battles) When I conquered a castle I was asked to conquer it or pillage, what does pillage do? I chose Conquer and a new kingdom was born. :cheers:

Angryminer
07-10-2004, 13:33
When you command your knight to pillage the town he takes all the valuables for you. That means a whole lot of money for you :go: . After that he'll search for another target.

Angryminer

Lord Sam
07-10-2004, 14:23
I think the Pope should have a more Popely portrait! Boy, He looks like an unbathed, unshaven thug in the games I have played! Acts like it too!

NoC Lord Fire
07-10-2004, 14:31
It would be nice if you could control your marshal in crusade, but to have specific goald made by the pope. For ex. conquer 3 provinces of that kingdom, or make him achnolage katholic religion or somthing elese.

King Yngvar
07-10-2004, 15:14
worst thing is you lose control of the marshall... If you had control of him.. the crusade might have a chance to win..

What??? You cannot control the crusade? What is the fun in crusading then? PATCH NEEDED :)

Martinus
07-10-2004, 15:14
Uhmm no. :p