PDA

View Full Version : Ohhh my god Norway stole my nations flag

Es.
01-12-2003, 21:11
Why the heck (excuse my languish) have Norway stolen the Danish flag.
I know it's the best flag in the world :cheers: but why why.....
If you wanna see the long fingered norwegin king that stole the dansih flag, follow the links below.
http://www.knights-of-honor.net/gfx/screenshots/scr_koh_0038_t.jpg

It's a bit small on that link so you can click here and take the picture second from the top on the left side.
http://www.knights-of-honor.net/english/graphics/screenshots.php?page=1

Crosses fingers and hopes it's a mistake.

Did i mention this was a post /petition to get it fixed.
hmm no well here it comes
Please fix it

Just my two cents

Frank Fay
02-12-2003, 09:25
By the time the screeshot was taken, the nations, flags, banners etc. were not fixed.

Don't worry all will be on the right place :D

Es.
02-12-2003, 12:45
:go:
Thanks

Henrik
04-12-2003, 23:53
no, no and NOOOOOOOOOOOO !

I'm not so sure that they have made a mistake about that one - I.e. the time period where this game takes place 1050 -> ? AD - if the screenshot that you referring to, is from around 1387 AD then it is correct to show the danish flag as the flag of Norway.

Between 1387 and untill her death in 1412 queen Margrethe the 1st. of Denmark ruled Denmark, Norway and later also Sweden in the Kalmar union, which was formed in 1397 and lasted until around 1448 - the union was finally disbanded in 1523.

Arjenvs
04-12-2003, 23:58
Well I thought that Norway and Sweden were vassals from Denmark....not owned by Denmark...so there own flag...

*just my little piece...*:angel:

Elewyn
04-12-2003, 23:59
Originally posted by Henrik
no, no and NOOOOOOOOOOOO !

I'm not so sure that they have made a mistake about that one - I.e. the time period where this game takes place 1050 -> ? AD - if the screenshot that you referring to, is from around 1387 AD then it is correct to show the danish flag as the flag of Norway.

Between 1387 and untill her death in 1412 queen Margrethe the 1st. of Denmark ruled Denmark, Norway and later also Sweden in the Kalmar union, which was formed in 1397 and lasted until around 1448 - the union was finally disbanded in 1523.

If you know all these things, you probably may know when Harald Hardraade ruled-the king of Norway, who's mentoined on the screenshot and who's "using" the danish flag...

Sorry for that straight welcoming....

Welcome, Henrik :cheers:
In my country is in use this:
To drink like Danes do.
So, let's have a good :cheers: and another :cheers: and another:cheers: :cheers:

Jorghan
05-12-2003, 09:49
And during the time of Harald Haradra Norway didn't have any flag at all.

From what I know, the danish flag is the oldest still used national flag.

Zakath
05-12-2003, 11:42
I think the correct 'flag' for many nations would be heraldic symbols. Like for Norway Riksløven, translated that'd be the Realm Lion. A stylised yellow lion on a red background.

Indeed all nations were in a personal union, and used their own flag. Norway didn't wind up under the hat of the monkey, Denmark, until the mid 1500's.

Zak

Henrik
05-12-2003, 15:19
Originally posted by Jorghan
And during the time of Harald Haradra Norway didn't have any flag at all.

From what I know, the danish flag is the oldest still used national flag.

You are absolutely right on target on that one ;)

The Dannebrog, it is the oldest flag in the world today – we can trace it back to the battle at Lyndanis in Estonia, which occurred on the 15th of June 1219 AD.

According to the legend, Dannebrog fell down from the sky to the Danish King Valdemar II during his crusade to Estonia. During this battle with the savaged Estonians, the Danes were taken by surprise and the battle did not go very well, but suddenly a red flag with a white cross felt from the sky and a voice said that if this flag was held high they would be victorious. The flag was picked up and with the flag in his hand the King and the Danes won the battle. After the battle king Valdemar II kept it as a sign of divine approval.

The first factual proof that Dannebrog was used to represent the king of the Danes can be seen as soon as in the fourteenth century as it was incorporated in the coat of arms of King Valdemar III.

The word Dannebrog literally means the cloth of the Danes.

Henrik
05-12-2003, 15:39
Originally posted by Elewyn
[B]If you know all these things, you probably may know when Harald Hardraade ruled-the king of Norway, who's mentoined on the screenshot and who's "using" the danish flag...

Hello Elewyn

( roughly translated from Danish )

The Kalmar union

Unification of the kingdoms of Denmark, Norway and Sweden
In 1397 Margrethe the 1st (1375-1412). foster son, the 14 year old Erik (Eric) of Pommeren cowned as the ruler of the united Norden (Scandinavia ). The crowning took place at the chapel of the castle of Kalmar. The realms should hereafter be ruled by Margrethe the 1st until Erik became old enough to rule himself.
At the age of six the young princess Margrethe, the daughter of Valdemar the 4th Atterdag, became engaged to the Norwegian king’s son – the 18 year old Haakon of Norway. In 1370 she gave birth to a son called Oluf whom after the the king Valdemars death in 1375 was elected as the king of Denmark. In 1380 Haakon of Norway dies and Oluf inherits the Norwegian throne. This means that Queen Margrethe the 1st is now the formal ruler of the two kingdoms ( the queen is still the guardian for the minor Oluf ), after Oluf’s premature death in 1387 Margrethe the 1st was chosen as regent of both Denmark and Norway.
Later on the Swedes became unsatisfied with their ruler - the Mecklenburgian royal family, this gave Queen Margrethe the 1st an opportunity to get her sisters-daughter’s-son !!! ( I don’t know what this is called in English ! ) Erik (eric) the 7th of Pommeren crowned as king of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Along with the cowning at Kalmar she completed the unification of the three kingdoms.

The Kalmar union got its own constitution and among its most important resolutions was:

1. In the event that one the kingdoms should be attacked, then the three kingdoms should be considered as one kingdom i.e. one for all and all for one.
2. After the death of Erik, the three kingdom shall still be ruled by one king
3. The three kingdoms will continue to be ruled by their own legislation and respect the two other kingdoms independence.
4. Everybody are free to do business in and own property in three kingdoms
5. The king can only settle an agreement with other countries IF the two other kingdoms are represented in the negotiations.

Queen Margrethe the 1st Keept the ruling of the union ( the three kingdoms ) until she died in 1412. The union ceased in reality to excist in 1448 and was definitively dissolved in 1523

This is a link from another thread which i have found, it shows the "political map" of time period:

north-western part of Europe: AD 1400 (http://www.euratlas.com/time/nw1400.htm)

Regarding: Harald Hardraade also know as Hardrada or Harald the Ruthless (Norwegian Harald Hardråde) 1015-1066
King of Norway 1045-66, ruling jointly with Magnus I 1045-47. He engaged in an unsuccessful attempt to conquer Denmark 1045-62; extended Norwegian rule in Orkney, Shetland, and the Hebrides; and tried to conquer England together with Tostig, Earl of Northumbria. They were defeated by King Harold of England at Stamford Bridge and both died in battle.

As for the picture that started this thread I will bow in respect cause there is obviously an error with that one. :D