PDA

View Full Version : How are hostages taken?

dearmad
08-10-2004, 18:06
If I manage a fight- I never get a hostage. If I let it go on its own I almost always get one.

There should be a setting when I start a fight that I'm managing which states that I am trying to CAPTURE and not KILL the enemy... which means I MIGHT get to capture him, but killing can happen accidentally too all the same.

At anyratre. the AI pays way too much for hostages and bankrupts itself. Stupid. They only cost 1000 to make brand new- so force me to execute the guy or hold on to him forever and use up one of my slots that I need or something- it's too easy an exploit.

Angryminer
08-10-2004, 18:10
If you want to capture a knight in CloseView you have to make him surrender. Either he raises the white flag (which means: extremely low morale) or he will fight until his bloody end.
At least this is how I understood it.

Angryminer

dearmad
08-10-2004, 18:12
I've only ever seen them fight to the death... even if I back off and let him recover...

Angryminer
08-10-2004, 18:20
Yes, knights are quite brave guys...
I guess dread level 3, a battle at night and in your territory will help to lower the enemy knight's morale. Then try a nice flanking-maneuver (that gives him a morale-penalty) and hope that he surrenders.

Angryminer

dearmad
08-10-2004, 18:33
Yes, knights are quite brave guys...
I guess dread level 3, a battle at night and in your territory will help to lower the enemy knight's morale. Then try a nice flanking-maneuver (that gives him a morale-penalty) and hope that he surrenders.

Angryminer

I wonder why they don't surrender the fourth or fifth time their morale breaks and they runn away on the screen... is it a seperate random chance form this?

I've had a knights entire army white flag and run off before the fight, and then the knight charges all alone- loses his morale, runs off, and repeats this again and again...

Arcador
08-10-2004, 20:23
The knight got very high morale, at least I haven't see him running by himself. You have to crush him really bad to make him surrender. Once I had him only alive (out of his 9 guards) and then he was captured...but often he dies before his guards.
To run, your enemy morale must be around zero, and you must have many. Then they drop their weapons and run, otherelse they run a bit, then they pull themselves together and begin their assault again (ready to run chickenly again).
Morale can decide the battle dramaticly.

dearmad
08-10-2004, 20:55
I find taking hostages happens about 75% of the time if I DON'T run the battle and 0% of the time if I do.

This needs to be changed to bring it under the control of the player in the melee mode too. SImple as that. A switch: if you select the button then your goal is a prisoner, if not, it's to kill the enemy knight. If you are trying to kill him it's easy to do- if trying to capture him, he will kill a lot more of your guys as you're men aren't trying to kill him but subdue him.

How hard could that be? As it is now, the game makes it too easy if you're not controlling the battle.

And you should NEVER capture someone in a battle you don't control. You should EARN it- after all we're talking $$ here.

The AI should still be able to capture and whatnot (of course) in its battles exactly as it is now, since I assume those are all resolved using the same method as non controlled player battles.

Richard
09-10-2004, 03:20
well i have goten couple of hostages is close view. first crush the enemy army where the marshal is left with only 1 squad or non, he ill retreat from battle. when he start running just attack him again and after some damage he ill surrender. i have done this and about 90% of the time works:blob: :)

Henrik
09-10-2004, 16:37
This issue should be something for the devs to work on...

IMO, the devs should give each of the knights a "personallity", this should determing how likely it is that they would either fight to the death or surrender.

I also think it's kinda stupid that a captured noble "block" one of you slots in the royal court.

Maybe we'll see some changes in KoH2

Noldy
09-10-2004, 18:10
I had an enemy of almost only peasants and had dread level 3. I guess i also had iron fist level 3. The entire army routed right away, except the general, he did fight until the bloody end :D