PDA

View Full Version : [NOT] Taking care of vassals

Pages : [1] 2

Vytis
09-10-2004, 21:58
I haven't noticed countries declaring war much against someone attacking their vassals. They should take better care of them.

dearmad
09-10-2004, 22:02
Agreed. The vassel system is rather undeveloped.

Arcador
09-10-2004, 23:13
Even I don't care about my vassals, but yes they can make a script so the AI might decide to help their vassals or something.

OSDSET
10-10-2004, 21:14
i don't really understand anything about vassels apart from they give you gold

Fatih Sultan
11-10-2004, 16:21
i also know them for only giving me gold, but someone tricked me into declaring war with my vassal.
i blame the fact that i wasnt able to use the political view, it locks up sometimes.

JavalTigar
15-10-2004, 21:01
It was my understanding that a vassal was kinda like an alliance. The AI should treat it a such. I think that the vassal should have to ask for your help.

Arcador
15-10-2004, 21:27
As I said somewhere else:
2 types of vassals - One when you beat the sh*t out of enemy and offer him peace with vassalage, he becomes your vassal and pays a tribute. If the attack him, it is none of your concern to defend him.
The other one is ally vassal. They pay you gold and have no intentions to break that. But you said the AI does not make difference between the 2 types of vassalage, right?

Shimo
16-10-2004, 01:53
and you should be able to offer vasalage to another kingdom whom you are not at war with.

lurking horror
17-10-2004, 03:12
Does the kingdom power of the vassal reflect upon you in any way? I think it should. I prefer to have an incentive for awarding my vassal increased lands.

I also think that you should be able to award areas of land to loyal knights to run as vassals. These kingdoms would be loyal to you, and pay you money, but you would be honor bound to defend them if they request.

And finally, something that really bothers me, is that you cannot willingly become a vassal without being in the middle of war. I think that playing out the campaign as a loyal vassal would make for an interesting twist.

Largefry07
17-10-2004, 05:51
Why would you want to become ones vasssl? All you do is improve relations and give them money.

lurking horror
17-10-2004, 06:15
1: Protection. If the AI actually acted to defend it's vassals from invasion then it would makes sense to become the vassal of a much larger kingdom for defense.

2: Simply as a manner of expanding options. Every conquest game on the block plays out the same scenario. Play until you dominate every one else. Mind you, I'm not suggesting eliminating that asppect of gameplay in the slightest. But if you want to play through the campaign supporting another kingdoms eventual rise to power, why not? It's different and it adds an extra (albiet small) element of gameplay.

3: Realisim.

JavalTigar
17-10-2004, 19:40
Here is a guestion reguarding vassals:

Why did I take a 5 point hit to kingdom power for granting independence to a vassal? If I attacked him I would understand, but I set him free. It should warn you about that before you do it.

Largefry07
17-10-2004, 21:09
Here is a guestion reguarding vassals:

Why did I take a 5 point hit to kingdom power for granting independence to a vassal? If I attacked him I would understand, but I set him free. It should warn you about that before you do it.

I'd had the same problem. I was tricked into declaring war on my vassel but my KP only dropped 1 level.

lurking horror
18-10-2004, 00:51
That happened to me last night. One of my knights had gone on crusade and become my loyal vassal. We had a great relationship, but after he died I felt his heir should not be subject to my will. So I gave him his independence, for which he was grateful. And I suffered ahuge hit with my kingdom power? That makes no sense!!! I really hope this gets changed, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

JavalTigar
18-10-2004, 20:49
WHAT? You mean its a 1 pt hit to war against my vassal but 5 to be nice.

Maybe its seen as a sign of weakness.

5 is a big hit. It's not like I told the Pope to pack sand.

Angryminer
18-10-2004, 20:54
When you have a vasall that means you protect him. Of course it isn't nice to say "I know I promissed to protect you but well, I got bored of it. Go away!"

Angryminer

JavalTigar
18-10-2004, 21:48
"I know I promissed to protect you but well, I got bored of it. Go away!"

Valid point. But still doesn't make since why letting them go is worse than out right attacking them, from a kingdom power standing.

Damn Dirty Ape
18-10-2004, 21:48
it doesn't say protect him..

Angryminer
18-10-2004, 21:49
@JavalTigar:
Valid point. :go:

Angryminer

JavalTigar
18-10-2004, 21:54
Protection is implied. If it wasn't then why would the bother to show you on the political view who is vassaled to whom. I wouldn't what to attack France if they were vassaled to Germany since they are big man on campus. Look at it economically. If you were getting 200 a turn from France would you want them destroyed?