PDA

View Full Version : Some General Strategy Tips At Quick Battles.

ulfn
09-10-2004, 23:47
I have collected some useful tips you can use at quick battles on the open fields. This works very well for me. Other strategies are surely as good too (or maybe better :) ).

1. If the morale is not at the top, camp. But don't wait to break up after the enemy has crossed the middle of the map.

2. Wait to see the enemy column moving at you. Check the type of troops in the lead and arrange your own troops accordingly, close to the position you start at.

3. Place your troops in wide formation in a semi-circle (with the centre-point on a thought line on which the main part of the enemy troops are moving on), and large enough so it can "envelope" the front of the enemy.

4. Melee troops should naturally be placed before the range troops. Your general strategy for your Marshall should be to always have him at a safe distance from the enemy. It is tempting to use him sometimes, and you can use quick hit-and-run tactics if you feel it is safe (for example, against lonely peasant groups).

5. The front should mostly be composed by 4 sections: Elite melee troops first, then peasants (if any), then range troops, and at the back the Marshall and his guards. It can be necessary to move him out from this position if the enemy comes too close, and can't be fended off easily. Place fast units on the flanks (mostly cavalry, armoured troops first).

6. When the first troops arrive, generally charge and attack (so the enemy has less time to form his troops).

7. Narrow the formations when attacking.

8. Try to use all your troops all the time! Independent of troop type if you (locally) outnumber the enemy he may rout. But don't be tempted to follow the routing troops so your forces are spread out. It is important to have the troops together (partly because of morale issues).

9. Try to move on a direct line up to the enemy Marshall (It is often possible to out-flank him early on and attack him in the back with your Marshall and his guard, and at least an assisting Knight group. This is risky, but you can win the battle very fast).

10. If some of your troops are routing, send them back as soon as they are ready for fight again.

11. When your troops are reasonably close to the enemy Marshall. Attack him with all your forces!

Troops versus troops.

Swordsmen -> Spear/Pike/Axe. Line formation. Generally, avoid cavalry. Highlanders are good as charged flankers in wedge formation.

Archers/Bowmen -> All troops, but preferably un-armed, and stationary or slowly moving troops. Line formation.

Peasants -> Use as buffer for the range troops, but behind the better melee troops.

Spear/Pike/Axe -> Armoured troops, eg. Heavy Cavalry. Generally, avoid swordsmen. Square formation for Axe. The others in line formation.

Knights -> Archers/Bowmen and Swordsmen. Charge in wedge formation when possible, and use wide formation when attacking range troops. Generally, avoid Spear/Pike/Axe.

There are other troop types, but this is a good start (Look in the manual for the rest).

:cheers:

Sir Turylon
10-10-2004, 06:54
actually... I disagree.

playing quick battles.. or playing marshall vs marshall.. I always assemble my archers in front of my swordsmen/melee troops. They shoot 2 times, then run back behind the wall of swords/spears. Usually try to place two units of fast "shock troops" along the sides. They are able to fend off any flanking force as well as being able to maneuver around and charge the sides.

One funny tactic is to lure the enemy forces into an assault by swinging your cavalry around... Bring them to the far flank of your main line, then sweep in. It works great at tearing apart the morale. :go:

Paladin|Lazy|
10-10-2004, 08:20
I usually put archers in wide formation line, hit their front rank and have melee charge as the archers retreat. Seems to work pretty well.

William Blake
10-10-2004, 09:35
You mean quick battle like vs AI, right? Whats the fun?!! Sure you can beat AI anytime, but doing it over and over again at the same map seeing same AI movements all the time...

Whats the fun again?:)

And against people its...., well elite infantry in front of peasants then archers? Feels like ownage:)

ulfn
10-10-2004, 10:31
... always assemble my archers in front of my swordsmen/melee troops. They shoot 2 times, then run back behind the wall of swords/spears.

This is a good way to do it. You will probably damage the enemy's front lines more at the start that way than if you let the Archers "stand-ground". But personally I initially want rather stable formations.

1) If Archers attack you first. Eliminate them as fast as possible (H. Cav./Knights and/or other fast troops from the flanks. "Shock-Troops" as you call them :) )

2) If Melee troops attack first, your Archers should reach them from the back lines (preferably from a higher position) before they have the chance to hurt anybody at the front lines.

It is a good idea to lure the enemy into an assault. I.e. basically attacking on your terms.

Sir Turylon
10-10-2004, 18:50
actually, I dissent again.

If you allow your archers to shoot into the fray, you will end up killing your own men unless your marshall has level 3 archery skill.

If they try to charge your archers with cavalry, you can force your archers to run behind your swordsmen... Keep them only 2-3 man lengths in front of the melee... they'll be able to out-run the cavalry back. Right before cavalry charge, tell your pikemen to form tight square, keeping your archers behind and ready to engage any melee troops coming in.

What you might call a stable position, I call an exercise in rigidity. A smart player will use horse cavalry to shoot, run few feet, shoot again... They can be excellent engagers... whittling down your pikemen while my cavalry outflank you. the AI tends to use different tactics... sometimes they attack en mass, then try to lure your forces back while their troops flee to the flanks... I've had several swordsmen units almost fall for the trap.

Arcador
10-10-2004, 19:01
hey both of you - go play some battlefield map 1vs1 :P

ulfn
11-10-2004, 14:44
I am hoping that I am not alone in thinking that it is better to have fun when playing and possibly not win all battles (without the perfect tactic all the time, but one that is enjoyable for you to use), than always try to optimize the play in battles with detailed micro-management, which sometimes requires more than it gives back in terms of enjoyement. :hello:

silver
11-10-2004, 15:17
I always put peasants in front of the better swordsman etc. This is because they engage the enemy while I pepper the fighting troops with arrows. My archers are protected from cavalry by pikemen (or similar) and I don't care if some of my peasants die to my own archers, as peasants are simply arrow fodder anyway.

This way the enemy is half dead before they even reach my "elite" swordsman.
Maybe I just like to be a brutal leader :)

The key to winning battles seems to be finding a merc camp soon and buying everything, before you would have been able to upgrade to such elite units. Your army tends to win everything then.