PDA

View Full Version : Only 18 buildings per castle?

Calon
10-10-2004, 12:16
Is the limit 18 buildings per castle? It's a bit frustrating that i'm most of the times forces to choose between making the castle secure (adding walls and such and also the different troop buildings) or adding trading, income, population buildings..

Martinus
10-10-2004, 12:27
I think that's exactly the reason for it - unlike other games, you can't just build everything, you have to make strategic decisions.

Syt
10-10-2004, 12:43
I think that's exactly the reason for it - unlike other games, you can't just build everything, you have to make strategic decisions.

Exactly. So far I try to have two types of towns - commercial ones (usually those with special ressources in the provinces) and military ones that have nothing valuable and therefroe can be used for the recruitment of troops and creating strongholds.

Of course having an AI that agrees to make peace immediately after declaring war doesn't make it too necessary to fortify many towns.

Webmaster
10-10-2004, 12:46
an you can reassign the building slots for our needs
bordertowns => military
centraltowns => production
is my personal favor

Martinus
10-10-2004, 16:49
Similar here. In any case, I build walls in each city - it uses up only one slot and can slow down an attacker long enough for the relief force to arrive. Also, playing a nation with simple special unit (such as Scotland) is good too, as you only need two buildings (training grounds and swordsmith) to build them and can stock up garrisons with them.

Sir Turylon
10-10-2004, 18:55
Yes, the man riding the big brown horse makes an excellent point that many people forget. You can reassign buildings. Also, building fortifications are not as restrictive as you might think. You can easily upgrade the strength of a town by simply building stone walls, drum towers and corner towers. Then, build a training ground, fletcher, swordsmith, armoury, chainmail workshop... Hire all the troops you want.. then delete the buildings for economic development.

If the city is threatened.. simply remove a few economic buildings and invest in some military buildings. :go: Who said cities must remain static in the long haul?

Anduin Rastafar
10-10-2004, 19:01
The problem is most of the time the AI isnt able to build higher grade units because of no more slots or perhaps of the wrong buildings ;)

Webmaster
10-10-2004, 19:19
buts this an AI issue not an 18 slot limit

the AI should be capable in creating an own development plan for every town based on focus (military, offense, defense, economic, ...) and ressources. also the AI should be able to adept this plan ;)

dearmad
10-10-2004, 19:32
And then change it if it needs to by replacing buildings.

Also I've noticed the AI like to build tax collectors a lot. I find that building useless. Trade makes a lot more money and a lot less angry people.

Webmaster
10-10-2004, 19:39
tax collectors is an requirement for the market, so it is not useless ;)

dearmad
10-10-2004, 20:14
Well with the amount of rebellions the AI seems to face... it might not be the best choice for them. Besides, they seem to have enough money and taxes/market combo doesn't make that much money.

Oh well.

Largefry07
11-10-2004, 00:54
I always have walls in every town. Also there are slots for garrison units to be placed, this is a good idea to help slow enemy advances. And one of the best tatics (I think) is to have your armies garrisoned throughout your empire and have a one army that is nothing but calvarly so they can move throughout your kingodm quickly and be able to break a seige of stop an assault quicklt because of their speed.

ngcsu
11-10-2004, 02:03
ya know, most commercial buildings weren't built 'inside' the main walls. Not 'every' land has room for more than 18 buildings, but having only 18 is unrealistic. To late though huh, I've already got the main game playing.

Sir Turylon
11-10-2004, 02:24
hehe, fry. I did that in the demo playing Bohemia. Had a level 4 marshall with level 2 horse combat and lvl 2 dread. His army consisted of.... 7 Feudal knights (there was a Merc Teuton camp with 7 of em :go: ) and 1 light cavalry. Needless to say.. he moved very fast across the provinces..