PDA

View Full Version : KoH mods?

uly
11-10-2004, 13:10
Did a quick search and didn't see much discussion on this... So, now that the game is out, is anyone trying to mod this game? Any guides/info on how to mod KoH?

engesa
11-10-2004, 13:48
Did a quick search and didn't see much discussion on this... So, now that the game is out, is anyone trying to mod this game? Any guides/info on how to mod KoH?That would be nice!

I would love it when it is possible to change the worldmap by adding/modifying country's.

ngcsu
11-10-2004, 15:34
we need them to provide us the debugging window before we can do thus.

Noldy
11-10-2004, 15:36
You can open the .PAK files with word. Experiment there.

King Juhafin
11-10-2004, 16:13
i know what mod could rock, Lord of the Rings mod!! think about it, Uruk-hais, elves, orcs and all, huge battles.. that has been my dream always :)

Noldy
11-10-2004, 17:03
Yeah, and Battle for ME cant live up to that, in my opinion.

King Juhafin
11-10-2004, 18:32
yeah.. BFME is a must for me, i cant wait for it, i hope it's as good as i hope.

Grallon
11-10-2004, 21:50

Alright.. wich ones ? What are the values that can be changed safely ? And I guess this answers my question about an editor :nono:

Btw are there plans to smarten up the AI ?... It's painfully weak now.

G.

uly
12-10-2004, 05:28
Word? As in Microsoft Word? Why? I've tried it and it just opens it as any text editor would, wouldn't it be better to use a hex editor?

As for the .pak files, I'm fairly sure they are packed files (as the name suggest) and thus would be somewhat messed up if edited before decompressing it. So what we'd need is a tool to extract the paks...

Manoi900
12-10-2004, 09:48
To edit the .pak file use Winhex edit "defs.pak" file. You can use MS word to view the file but you can't save it as the file has difference format (if you use MS word to view the file make sure to close it before you save in Winhex after you edit). So far I have no error or hang after I edit the file.

silver
12-10-2004, 10:05
I think (as mentioned in a different post) that this game lends itself perfectly to the masterful George RR Martin series of books "A Song of Ice and Fire" as this is about Knights, Honour, diplomacy and a disputed Kingdom, with many Kings struggling for power and fighting bloody wars. It also involves treachary and broken alliances. The Kinights are actually based on this period of history and Martin is a huge fan of knights and their history (check his website). Song of Ice and Fire is set in a Fantasy world which draws some parrallels with Europe/Asia/North Africa and does involve some use of fantasy creatures/magic, but this is minimal and could be covered by Knights abilities and different units.

Unfortunatley, I don't know how to MOD games :(

Lord of the Rings has nothing at all to do with diplomacy, it is to do with Magical power and forces of "Evil"and is not suited to the game as a mod at all. "Evil" forces cannot enter into politics, so it would only be about battles.

King Yngvar
12-10-2004, 19:21
So how do I do simple mods, like adding units for kingdoms, changing names of units, stats, etc. That is the only things I want to change...

NoC Lord Fire
12-10-2004, 21:06
I didnt played koh yet..not interested in mods

Noldy
12-10-2004, 21:17
To edit the .pak file use Winhex edit "defs.pak" file. You can use MS word to view the file but you can't save it as the file has difference format (if you use MS word to view the file make sure to close it before you save in Winhex after you edit). So far I have no error or hang after I edit the file.

I dont really understand, do i have to download a program for this?

Funkybax
12-10-2004, 21:52
Maybe is better if the Devs say to us if is possible to mod.
And maybe they can give us some tools.

FearTheMullet
13-10-2004, 01:39
Thats why I enjoy the paradox games (EU2, CK, HOI, Vicky) they are oh so easy to mod. And if you guys wanna try a Land of ice and fire/LOTR mods I suggest buying Crusader Kings, and heading to the paradoxplaza forums and chekcing out the mods already in production for that game with those scenarios. They look very good so far.

Manoi900
13-10-2004, 05:49
I dont really understand, do i have to download a program for this?

Accualy you can use any hex editor program, Winhex is just my preference program :rolleyes:

use this link to get a free hex editor program:

http://www.handshake.de/user/chmaas/delphi/download/xvi32.zip

:cheers:

Noldy
13-10-2004, 17:25
Ive been looking around in the scripts.pak file and im really wondering if that file is from KOH. Look:

// Go near the toilet:
if (!(pToilet = HMO(hToilet))) return 0;
pToilet->GetRandomRefPoint("queue", &pt);
if (MSR_ARRIVED != unit::Walk(self, pt.x, pt.y, 0, 0, (long*)0)) return 0;

// If the waiting place (rally) is already occupied, go away, else continue:
if (!(pToilet = HMO(hToilet))) return 0;
pToilet->GetRandomRefPoint("rally", &pt);
if (FindNearestMapObj(&pt, 2, "CUnit")) return 0;

if (MSR_ARRIVED != unit::Walk(self, pt.x, pt.y, 0, 0, (long*)0)) return 0;

// If there is somebody in the toilet, wait for a while, then check again.
// If the second time fails, go away. if (!(pToilet = HMO(hToilet))) return 0;
pToilet->GetRandomRefPoint("entry", &pt);
if (FindNearestMapObj(&pt, 2, "CUnit"))
self->Breath(this, GetRangedRnd(3000, 4000), (long*)0);
if (FindNearestMapObj(&pt, 2, "CUnit"))
return 0;

// Enter the toilet:
return villager::GoInBuilding(self, hToilet, lTime);
};

// No toilet around; a tree maybe? CMapObj* pTree = FindNearestMapObj(&ptPos, 500, "CTree");

:sick: :sick: :sick:
weird?

uly
15-10-2004, 02:11
Er. Sounds rather like something that'd be in The Sims to me...

Perhaps this has to do with your towns in peace time, the script could dictate the villagers to go about their all important business of reieving themselves. Of course, this might be unfinished which might be why the zoom function wasn't enabled...