PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Option to choose between historical and random resource spread

Martinus
18-10-2004, 09:15
Don't know how feasible it is to add such option in a patch (or maybe an expansion pack), but it would be cool if there was an option in the initial game setup to choose between a historical and random resource spread.

Currently, the game uses a random spread and while it is challenging, sometimes leads to funny results (for example in my last game as Burgundy, the only towns able to build universities and cathedrals were located in Russia and North Africa).

What I would like to see is an option with resources assigned historically (e.g. "university" resources in sites of major universities, such as Oxford, Paris or Prague, "cathedral" resources in major religious centres, such as Rome, Canterbury, Jerusalem and Constantinople, fertile plains in the Eastern and Northern Europe, sheep in England etc.) :)

Master Chief
18-10-2004, 14:37
I agree totally with that suggestion.

So far I have been unable to buy the game (for a reasonable price) and have been playing the demo. But this kind of problem is clearly evident also in the demo.

At one time there was nothing but fish available in every English province. While in Estonia there were brine and silver-ore deposits - now that's pretty absurd :p.

Since every province can support three available goods, but sometimes it has only one, I would wonder if it was possible to "buy"/upgrade certain recourses (like fertile soil pastures) in provinces where there are one or two empty slots.

So lets say in Anglia you have fish and brine deposits, since one of the resource slots are empty you have an option to choose which resource upgrade you like and how much it will cost you. For example - 10 000 gold pieces for fertile soil, 20 000 gp for pastures, 30 000 gp for marble deposits, etc, etc. Just an idea.

JavalTigar
20-10-2004, 19:50
I think all provices should have a min of two resources. some get lucky and have three.
1)If coast you get fish, naturally.
2)then either pasture, fertile soil or game.
3)If it doesn't support those then either silver, mineral deposits or stone.
4)If not by the coast choose from 2 & 3

Arcador
21-10-2004, 09:58
Maybe some sort of balance factor to be turned on and off.
Once I fot 4 towns with No extra stuff, and once with 3 different.

King Juhafin
21-10-2004, 11:09
that's great suggestion, i totally agree! now i'm playing as sweden, and i have taken Finland and Nyland... still i dont have fertile soil or pasture in any of my provinces :( i need em to make different buildings! there should be at least 1 province with those..

Angryminer
21-10-2004, 11:15
King Juhafin:
Then conquer a province with fertile soil. In the real world 90% of all wars are fought because some people either want might or resources.
EA: Challenge everything. :go:

Angryminer

Paladin|Lazy|
21-10-2004, 11:31
Use political view to find out which provinces have what features, and adjust your strategy accordingly.

King Juhafin
21-10-2004, 11:45
King Juhafin:
Then conquer a province with fertile soil. In the real world 90% of all wars are fought because some people either want might or resources.
EA: Challenge everything. :go:

Angryminer
lol... :go: yes.. but i'm suprisedd why in Finland there is no fertile soil? that's unrealistic, because in middle-ages there was!

i have been looking at highlands, mmmmM.. pasture, but i dont know because it has many big allies :sick:

Noldy
21-10-2004, 12:01
Dont worry, just attack, and when his allies declare war on you, you can declare a white peace instantly. I hope they fix this in the patch.

Angryminer
21-10-2004, 12:33
Noldy: That seldomly works with allies. That works when Schotland pays someone to declare war upon you. But when they have an alliance they usually demand territory or loads of money for peace.

Angryminer

Master Chief
22-10-2004, 22:42

That is pretty dumb. I shouldn't NEED to start a war just cause I don't have fertile soil or iron deposits. However I need to start a war in THIS game because it doesn't let me build certain buildings without certain natural resources. I shouldn't HAVE to conquer half of Europe just to get an iron deposit in some Southern European province.

I truly hope that an option for Historical Resource Setting is available in the patch.

Hector
23-10-2004, 00:39
great nick man :go: